PDA

View Full Version : John Muir

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 12:13
For those who have hiked the John Muir ...how long did it take you to cover the 211 miles ??

Also ...what are the logistics in terms of getting to and from the trail.

Thanks.

'Slogger

Marta
07-29-2008, 12:22
I spent 20 days on the trail, which is a pretty leisurely pace.

IMO, the best thing is to fly in and out of Reno, then take the buses back and forth. This should give you the basic information:

http://www.yarts.com/

There's one bus line from Reno to Yosemite Valley, which feeds into the YARTS bus system. I can't remember the name of the bus service from Reno.

I used Yogi's PCT guide for planning. The trickiest section is Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney. You either have to carry a lot of food (and get it in a bear canister somehow) or pony up a lot of money to have a mule packer resupply you at Charlotte Lakes.

By early August '07, Muir Trail Ranch had at least a dozen barrels of free stuff for hikers--bounty from hikers who had shipped food there and then gotten off the trail. Charlotte Lakes also had a decent selection in the hiker barrel. You could probably do really well just scavenging in both places, instead of shipping stuff to yourself.

mrc237
07-29-2008, 12:27
Resupply at VVR. Reds Meadow. Independence.

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 12:31
[quote=Marta;674067]
I used Yogi's PCT guide for planning. The trickiest section is Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney. You either have to carry a lot of food (and get it in a bear canister somehow) or pony up a lot of money to have a mule packer resupply you at Charlotte Lakes.
=================================

How much is "a lot" of food - - how many days worth ?

Thanks,

'Slogger

rafe
07-29-2008, 12:41

I've researched that a bit for the area around Mammoth Lakes and the next 100 miles or so south of there. Easy access at Mammoth Lakes. There are passes heading east out to Rte. 395 at mile 70 (to Bishop) and then several more around mile 90, and then Kearsage Pass at mile 110 or so. (These mile markers are relative to Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lakes.)

Marta
07-29-2008, 12:59
[quote=Marta;674067]
=================================

How much is "a lot" of food - - how many days worth ?

Thanks,

'Slogger

We spent 8 days on the MTR-Whitney section. My resupplies were:

1) Tuolumne Meadows
2) Mammoth Lakes
3) VVR (I had not planned to go there, but the people I was hiking with did, so I did, too, and ended up zeroeing there.)
4) MTR

I have a TJ which narrates the trip in tedious detail, which you might be able to skim through for pertinent information.

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 13:01
Thanks Marta ...will check out your journal.

So, it looks like the longest (most food) interval is 8 days then ...correct ? Not sure if I can get 8 days worth of food in the Bearvault. Should be interesting !!

'Slogger

Marta
07-29-2008, 13:07
Thanks Marta ...will check out your journal.

So, it looks like the longest (most food) interval is 8 days then ...correct ? Not sure if I can get 8 days worth of food in the Bearvault. Should be interesting !!

'Slogger

I, and everyone else around me, could not get all their food in their cans. For the first couple of days after MTR, we all had food outside our cans. We were all pretty careful about not cooking in our tents, and wrapping the excess food thoroughly, and not camping in places that had active bear problems. (Purple Lake had bear problems in '07.) And we were fine.

What's particularly crazy about the section is that there's only a few miles (maybe 30 or 40) which don't have food lockers. Of course those few miles are the ones directly south of MTR, when SOBO JMT hikers have their biggest loads of food.

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 13:27
OK ...one more question. I already have Yogi's PCT planning binder but I was wondering what most others used as a guidebook during the hike and if/why they found it helpful.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
07-29-2008, 13:36
OK ...one more question. I already have Yogi's PCT planning binder but I was wondering what most others used as a guidebook during the hike and if/why they found it helpful.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

I'm reading this with envy.
A short trail on my Bucket list.
They say mile for mile, the most beautiful.

taildragger
07-29-2008, 13:40
Food in the bear can, it can be done. You really have to use calorie intense food and remove all the excess air from the packaging and fill all the nooks and crannies. This might be a good place to use some cous cous and peanut butter.

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 13:51
I'm reading this with envy.
A short trail on my Bucket list.
They say mile for mile, the most beautiful.
=======================

Well ...that's kinda where I'm coming from. I have high hopes that long distance trails are in my future but realistically, short term anyway, I'm looking at this one.

Why don't you come out and join us next year ?? I'll be hiking REALLY slowly.

'Slogger

The Solemates
07-29-2008, 14:12
Not sure if I can get 8 days worth of food in the Bearvault. Should be interesting !!

'Slogger

In '98 we spent 22 days in the backcountry of Alaska and only resupplied once. It's a challenge!

Summit
07-29-2008, 18:39
I did it 31 years ago so my knowledge and today's conditions may vary from my experience. I did it NOBO from Whitney Portal, staying on the PCT in Tuolumne Meadows, finishing at Sonora Pass out the north of Yosemite. I later finished the JMT doing Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley.

From Whitney Portal to Reds Meadows (150 mi. approx) there were no tenable solutions to reprovisioning, so I carried 14 days worth of food. All side trails represented at least two days round trip and hitching from the trailhead to get supplies. Here is some more updated info with a couple of choices that did not exist 31 years ago:

http://www.pcta.org//about_trail/muir/faq.asp#resupply

I have found 7 days to be about max for a Bear Vault, even going with the most compactable of food choices. You might want to supplement your vault with a Ursack:

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

The JMT is absolutely fabulous! Especially Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs. Sunburn is your biggest problem/concern, IMHO. Definitely take plenty of sunblock. Some carry backpacking umbrellas also. Prepare to fry during the day and shiver at night, even in the dead of summer. My hike was during the month of July and I had freezing ice in water containers several nights. But the terrain is breath taking and none of these challenges should be a deterent. You certainly have the experience to deal with them footslogger! ;)

I averaged 13 miles a day on my hike, which was plenty for me - I've never been a 'big miles day' person, even at 27 when I did this hike! ;)

Egads
04-22-2009, 22:14
Everyone was so excited about Earth Day, they slept thru John Muir's birthday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir H

Happy Birthday John :banana

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-23-2009, 11:22
I've done the trail in 10 days one year, in 20 the next. Sometimes it's a matter of what you're after, sometimes the weather drives your speed. The 10-day year was driven by constant threat of bad weather, so we started early, crossed passes fast, only to realize on the other side that it didn't get that bad, so we moved on to the next pass. When the weather was nice, we usually went much slower, hanging out at lakes for swims, climbing a few peaks along the trail, or just doing nothing for a day in camp.

I think my first JMT was a 16 day trip, the second was 15, the third, 10, the fourth 20, and after that it was always somewhere in the 15s.

Resupply has not really changed on the Muir Trail since 1988 when I hiked it the first time.

Hiking north south (preferred direction by most, start easy, save the big stuff and large food loads for the end), the food pickups are:

Start in Valley, initial food load

Tuolumne Meadows - mail to self, General Delivery at the post office in the store, or buy stuff in the store - they have an ok selection of food, but much of it is aimed at the campground users there.

Reds Meadows Resort store - drop off or mail package - they charge a reasonable fee (I think I paid $20 last time, box for 3 hikers, food for 4 days)
http://www.redsmeadow.com/the-resort.htm

Vermillion Resort at Lake T Edison (I skip this usually, unless we hike a variant of the JMT that takes us past them)
http://www.edisonlake.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=42

Muir Trail Ranch - key resupply for the southern half of the trail
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

You can hire horse packers to meet you on the trail with supplies between Muir Trail Ranch and Mount Whitney, but timing is critical, since you won't be able to change that reservation and they can't leave your food out there. This service is also very expensive and only makes sense for larger groups.

Getting to the trail: There's a bus line from Lone Pine to Reno and back. At Lone pine you can get on a bus into Yosemite Valley. On the western side, there are buses into the valley from Merced, and on your return you can get from Lone Pine to Yos. Valley with the above mentioned buses to get back on the bus down into the central valley.

Jan LiteShoe
04-23-2009, 23:16
=======================

Well ...that's kinda where I'm coming from. I have high hopes that long distance trails are in my future but realistically, short term anyway, I'm looking at this one.

'Slogger

When?
I'm a washed up thruhiker. ;-)
"REALLY slowly" sounds delightful.
:)

ndwoods
04-24-2009, 23:53
20 days. Drove and did car shuttle...

Reid
04-25-2009, 00:08
I need to squeeze in a quetion here myself. How much did you spend and how long are the shuttles in terms of minutes or hours?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-25-2009, 11:46
I need to squeeze in a quetion here myself. How much did you spend and how long are the shuttles in terms of minutes or hours?

buses are cheap, shuttles are expensive.

The only licensed shuttle service I know (Bob Ennis in Lone Pine) will cost about $400 from Whitney Portal to Tuolumne Meadows for a group of 3, less if you find more riders. Last year we filled his van with 6 people. It may be a little better if gas doesn't cost $4.75/gallon in Owens Valley this summer.

http://mountwhitneyshuttle.com/ or just call at 760-876-1915

MOWGLI
04-25-2009, 12:05
15 days in 2006 to do the whole thing. In '08 I did 115 miles (or so) at about 10 miles/day. The trail is nicely switchbacked the whole way, but you're climbing 3000' - 4000' most every day.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-28-2009, 12:04
Reds Meadow Resort store - drop off or mail package - they charge a reasonable fee (I think I paid $20 last time, box for 3 hikers, food for 4 days)
http://www.redsmeadow.com/the-resort.htm

gotta clarify that after I found their rate sheet from last year

They charge $25 to get a package from the post office to their store, and then $1.00 per day for storing it there until you pick it up. Hand delivered packages (we did that) are $1.00 a day, no pickup fee.

the details, rightoff the form I found here: http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf

Package Pick-Up and Package Storage
(Applicable Only Between June 15-October 1 approximately)
(Service Not Available Other Times of the Year)

Your Choices:
1. Mail to Red’s Meadow (address below).
Red’s Picks Up at P. O. and Delivers to Red’s Meadow General Store.
2. Hand Deliver to Red’s Meadow General Store.
(Not By Mail)
3. Fed-Ex or UPS; c/o 1849 Condominiums, Attn: Bob Tanner
826 Lakeview Blvd., Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
(Strictly Emergency Basis Only!)
-----------------------------------

Our Policies
• We must have your signed authorization to pick-up your package.
• Packages must not exceed 14” high, 14” wide and 24” long.
• 25.00 charge for Red’s pick-up at the Mammoth Post Office.
(Includes delivery to Red’s Meadow General Store and 5 days storage)
• $1.00 for each additional day of storage.
• $1.00 per day for storage of hand-delivered packages.
(Begins with first day until package is picked up)
• Packages may be picked up at Red’s Meadow General Store between
7 a.m. and 7 p.m. only.
• We do not arrange for return of packages to you in the event you do not pick-up the package.

We are in Mammoth Lakes approximately 4 times per week. We will pick up
packages only when we are in the Mammoth area. (Suggestion: Mail your package so that it arrives several days before you get to Red’s Meadow. Parcel Post recently seems to be taking 30 days, so if your arrival at Red’s is less than 30 days from mailing your package, mail it 1st class, so you will not be detained or inconvenienced)

Enclosed is $25.00 per package, not to exceed 14” high, 14” wide and 24” long. I authorize Red’s Meadow to pick up my package(s) in accordance with the above policies on or about ____________. (approximate date you expect us to pick up your package)

Your Name: _________________________________

Your Address: _________________________________

Signature: ____________________ Date Signed: _____________

Return this form and mail packages to:
Red’s Meadow
PO Box 395
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-28-2009, 12:06
oh - reds meadow resort phone is (800) 292-7758

Chaco Taco
04-28-2009, 12:09
=======================

'Slogger

When are you going??

Dogwood
04-28-2009, 12:40
Relatively easy getting to/from the trail at the end pts. Yosemite Valley(Happy Isles) - public transportation, Mt Whitney TH/small storerelatively easy hitch into Lone Pine where you can get public transportation that goes along that side of the Sierras. Reds Meadow and Tulomne Meadows easy to get rides. After that who knows. All part of the adventure.

aufgahoban
04-28-2009, 14:01
Be careful with the shuttles and busses. They don't run the same times every day, and some days not at all. They have summer schedules. Check out Downhill's JMT journal.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-28-2009, 14:47
This year they finally have a bus that goes from Line Pine to Reno again. Last summer you had to plan on a layover of a day at Mammoth to even make it to Lee Vining.

http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/

in the 80s and early 90s there was still a Greyhound going up US 395 but since that line was shut down, the new CREST route from Line Pine to Reno is the first time you can easily get from one end of the Muir to the other (I usually drive there and park my car on one end of the trail)

If you have to have time critical transportation, there's also Bob Ennis who runs a shuttle service out of Lone Pine. In summer he makes several runs to Whitney Portal, and with enough lead time you can have him drive you to Yosemite ($$$). http://mountwhitneyshuttle.com/

Good forum to check out on transportation issues:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewforum.php?f=16

Pootz
04-28-2009, 16:07
For those who have hiked the John Muir ...how long did it take you to cover the 211 miles ??

Thanks.

'Slogger

If you have the time I would plan for 3 weeks. My plan was 19 days but ended up getting off after 2 weeks due to a broken big toe. The trails is very well graded but the elevation takes time to get used to.

Depending on when you are going. In late June there can be lots of snow to slow you down. Backpacker did an article in hiking the JMT in 10 days. The elite hikers said it wore them out trying to keep that pace. Do not let the elevation profile fool you.

Send me your email in a private message and I can send you the data base that my girlfriend put together. Has all of the data information including camp sites and lots of other good stuff.

Dogwood
04-28-2009, 20:42
I know this doesn't answer the question of how long the JMT takes, but this is one trail YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUSH! IMO, some of the best eye candy of any trail in the country is to be found on the JMT! Most thru-hikers should figure on doing no more than 18 miles max per day.

Dogwood
04-28-2009, 20:44
Helmuth I hear you about the bus lines. Last year, I got unexpectedly caught with that Mammoth Lakes layover day. BS.

bumpass
06-05-2009, 21:29
Hey Slugger, when are your dates for the JMT? A couple of my friends and I are heading out the 3rd week of July. I'm still looking for a cheap used BV500. I was eyeing the bearikade, but hubby said "get your big girl pants on,":( Unless I can find a good deal on a used one, right??:-?

Cheers!

Hope to see with our MB UL SS#2

Jan LiteShoe
06-07-2009, 00:14
Hey Slugger, when are your dates for the JMT? A couple of my friends and I are heading out the 3rd week of July. I'm still looking for a cheap used BV500. I was eyeing the bearikade, but hubby said "get your big girl pants on,":( Unless I can find a good deal on a used one, right??:-?

Cheers!

Hope to see with our MB UL SS#2

I think Footslogger and BS Turtle are traveling right now (hoping they will hit the ol' Shoestead when they swing through NC next week).