PDA

View Full Version : What kinda pipe?

taildragger
07-29-2008, 19:17
I was curious if anyone else brought a pipe with them while hiking. I used to have a semi churchwarden that I'd carry and smoke while having a cup of black tea after breakfast. I generally prefer darker aromatic blends, they just seem to make the hike even more relaxing.

So, if you smoke a pipe while you hike, let us know what kind you have and what you smoke.

general
07-29-2008, 20:22
I was curious if anyone else brought a pipe with them while hiking. I used to have a semi churchwarden that I'd carry and smoke while having a cup of black tea after breakfast. I generally prefer darker aromatic blends, they just seem to make the hike even more relaxing.

So, if you smoke a pipe while you hike, let us know what kind you have and what you smoke.

you're refering to tobacco i assume.

DAKS
07-29-2008, 20:24
i have a cheap corncob pipe that works well for hiking! if it gets broken, it only cost 4 bucks and change! i have a much nicer briar pipe but i can't see myself packing with it just in case it did get broken. black cavendish is a good choice as is captain black! both very aromatic and very smooth!
good luck!

kanga
07-29-2008, 20:39
that's reefering, general

taildragger
07-29-2008, 20:54
you're refering to tobacco i assume.

Yulp, wouldn't use a real pipe any other way :sun

i have a cheap corncob pipe that works well for hiking! if it gets broken, it only cost 4 bucks and change! i have a much nicer briar pipe but i can't see myself packing with it just in case it did get broken. black cavendish is a good choice as is captain black! both very aromatic and very smooth!
good luck!

How does the corn cob smoke? I had one when I was 16, and man, I'm not sure if it was me or not, but that thing never held a candle to the briar pipe that I got after I lost my corn cob.

I hear ya on the breakage though, I'd like another semi-churchwarden to hike with, but I might get nervous about breaking the stem

Summit
07-29-2008, 22:23
I've hiked with the top one in this picture all of my 35 years of backpacking. It's been a lot of places like the JMT, the Alps in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Canadian Rockies, Long Trail, Colorado Rockies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/wellsjs/Misc/Pipes.jpg

The top one is 40 years old and is an Edwards pipe. The bottom one is less than a year old (Christmas present) and is a Peterson from Tinderbox. I started with, 40 years ago, and still smoke Edwards Pipe shop's Scottish Moor blend.

http://www.edwardstampa.com/tabbags/120.gif

I enjoy a nice smoke after a long day's hike after the tent's up, water's been gotten, crystal lite tea's been made, the ThermaRest chair's set up . . . it's time to relax. :)

Then in the morning nothing beats a pipe with a cup of real coffee made in my JetBoil cozy with coffee press . . . ummmmm! I wave bye bye to the 20-mile-a-dayers who hit the trail at first light, enjoying one of the best parts of hiking, IMHO. :D

budforester
07-29-2008, 23:04
I quit my tobacco addiction 30 years ago; got over the cigarette craving but still miss my pipe. For outdoors, I favored a pipe that was not very long (pocket- sized), sturdy at the stem- bowl connection, straight stem so I could invert it when raining. Since y'all are mentioning tobacco, I liked Borkum Riff... still like to sniff packages at the store.

Summit
07-29-2008, 23:14
I've never smoked cigarettes and do not have a tobacco addiction. I smoke one bowl a day (usually) at home and two (evening and morning) on the trail. But I can sympathize if you've kicked a cigarette addiction and pipe smoking would be too tempting. I've smoked Borkum Riff and Captain Black, but there's nothing quite like Edwards' Scottish Moor, for me anyways.

rafe
07-29-2008, 23:22
I've hiked with the top one in this picture all of my 35 years of backpacking. It's been a lot of places like the JMT, the Alps in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Canadian Rockies, Long Trail, Colorado Rockies.

I can hear the yodeling off in the distance... and Julie Andrews...

Summit
07-30-2008, 07:13
I can hear the yodeling off in the distance... and Julie Andrews...Actually, up from Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland, on a mountain with a view of the Jung Frau, Eiger, and Zuckspitz Mtns, I happened upon an outdoor fest where they were yodeling (professionals). Sounded really cool echoing through those awesome Alp mountains. That area is actually where they filmed the "Sound of Music!" Later that night in camp, I smoked that pipe! :)

dessertrat
07-30-2008, 09:34
I don't use tobacco at all anymore, but I think if I did, I would use a corn cob. Cheap and light, tastes good, just doesn't last that long.

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:47
I don't use tobacco at all anymore, but I think if I did, I would use a corn cob. Cheap and light, tastes good, just doesn't last that long.A good quality briar is light years better than a corn cob in coolness and taste.

taildragger
07-30-2008, 18:52
A good quality brier is light years better than a corn cob in coolness and taste.

I loved my corn cob, but even one of the cheapy grab bin briars is a world above the taste from my cob. Get a nicer pipe like a peterson with a p-lip and man oh man you can get spoiled, it'll bury most cigars in the ground.

Odd Thomas
07-30-2008, 19:26
I quit my tobacco addiction 30 years ago; got over the cigarette craving but still miss my pipe. For outdoors, I favored a pipe that was not very long (pocket- sized), sturdy at the stem- bowl connection, straight stem so I could invert it when raining. Since y'all are mentioning tobacco, I liked Borkum Riff... still like to sniff packages at the store.

I've never met a pipe smoker that was addicted to nicotine, maybe it's mostly a cigarette thing.

saimyoji
07-30-2008, 19:36
i've been on the trail nearly every day over the past two weeks, and the number of butts is disturbing. pack it out. pipe seems like a good way to go for a smoke. i don't smoke anything btw.

Odd Thomas
07-30-2008, 19:41
Nobody uses meerschaum pipes?

taildragger
07-30-2008, 19:52

I've looked at them, I'm considering replacing my pipe with a real pipe, but I think this one would be best for my hiking and fishing

http://www.boswellpipes.com/pipeimages/fishingvest/images/Boswell%20Vest%20Fishing%20pipes%20%284%29.jpg

Summit
07-30-2008, 21:34
Nice looking pipe! I never cared much for the screen . . . just put my thumb over it in the wind. Nice grain in the briar . . . looks like it's cut from 'the heart.' I also prefer a 'bent,' like that one and mine pictured above. Prolongs having to swab out the moisture that naturally builds up in the stem.

Summit
07-30-2008, 21:37
Nobody uses meerschaum pipes?I've tried but never owned one. Just didn't see what all the hype was about. I guess I'm just 'old school' . . . give me block of wood. ;)

the goat
07-31-2008, 10:49
i prefer the thick hand-blown glass sherlock style of pipe.

Mother's Finest
07-31-2008, 12:14
i prefer the thick hand-blown glass sherlock style of pipe.

I concur

budforester
07-31-2008, 14:38

I liked them, but they seemed too delicate for active outdoor use.

sheepdog
07-31-2008, 14:45
Ahh the smell of aromatic pipe tobacco. Reminds me of my grandpa.:)

Undershaft
08-01-2008, 13:47
I carried a straight stem Dr. Graybow briar pipe with me on my section hikes last year. That pipe was a gift from a friend, but I never really liked the way it smoked. I have a nice briar curved stem pipe that I smoke at home. I tend to smoke a pipe more in the winter than summer.

BradMT
08-08-2008, 08:50

I smoke a Meerschaum... seems to smoke cooler than even the best briar. I typically bring a sturdy Peterson briar "system" pipe on the trail (I like 1/4 or 1/2 bent pipes).

Honesty, I rarely smoke my pipes... At home I sometimes go six months or more without touching one but somehow in the backcountry I really enjoy a bowl in the evening after a long pack.

As for tobacco, I prefer Virgina or Latakia blends.

canoehead
08-08-2008, 09:30
Don't smoke. But it does smell good.

Jim Adams
08-08-2008, 09:34
I quit tobacco totally 4 years ago but I've smoked cigarettes, cigars and pipes while hiking. Used a briar and a corn cob and although the briar is "sweeter" the corn cob was better than not having a pipe. I carried and used a meerschaum for the entire 13 month trip in 1989-90 which included my AT thru. I carried it in a lightweight case and it never broke....got my pack "down" to 41 pounds on that hike so the weight of the case wasn't so much of a "heavy" concern as it is nowdays.
Always smoked Cavandish.
BTW...I don't miss the cigarettes or the cigars but I miss a good bowl of tobacco with my coffee EVERY time I hike.

geek

Summit
08-08-2008, 13:24
I miss a good bowl of tobacco with my coffee EVERY time I hike.That's what I'm talking about. :D I gave up my pipe for a few years and really missed it on backpacking trips. I've always got two with me so if we ever share a camping area, come on over! ;)

taildragger
08-08-2008, 13:29
That's what I'm talking about. :D I gave up my pipe for a few years and really missed it on backpacking trips. I've always got two with me so if we ever share a camping area, come on over! ;)

Ditto, I gave up smoking altogether along with my pipe, and after about 2 years I just kept missing my pipe, just the relaxing feeling I'd get with having a bowl with tea or coffee and watching the morning alpine glow.:sun

warraghiyagey
08-08-2008, 17:18
Foil. . . .

Summit
08-08-2008, 19:48
Foil. . . .What a dope head! :eek:

(joking - not serious - no name calling - warrag . . . whatever you call him is cool) :)

mister krabs
08-08-2008, 22:47
Dugout...

Rockhound
08-09-2008, 10:46
i've been on the trail nearly every day over the past two weeks, and the number of butts is disturbing. pack it out. pipe seems like a good way to go for a smoke. i don't smoke anything btw.
I agree. I switched to bugler/drum when i started hiking. No filters to pack out.

mudhead
08-09-2008, 11:49
How do you twist one when your hands are wet? Got to be some trick I don't know.

drastic_quench
08-09-2008, 16:50
My pipe's a Peterson Kinsale XL20. The picture is from their site. It's a nice briar pipe, but I just keep it in a hard case.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/5016/51bigfg1.jpg

uwharriebackpacker
08-20-2008, 20:46
the pipes i carry on the trail are usually old estate pipes. they are already broken in and wont hurt my feelings near as much if i lose one or break it. usually have a tobacco shop blend of aromatic tobacco along for the ride. most folks just sit and watch as i blow smoke rings upward saying how they once knew someone who smoked a pipe when they were kids.

warraghiyagey
08-20-2008, 22:13
What a dope head! :eek:

(joking - not serious - no name calling - warrag . . . whatever you call him is cool) :)
:sun:sun

drastic_quench
08-31-2008, 00:32
I neglected to mention my choice of tobacco. I'm not a fan of aromatics. I smoke an English blend called Westminster by GL Pease. It's a reinvented recipe of Dunhill's old London Mixture. I can't recommend it enough, really. If you're at all interested in trying a non-aromatic, Westminster won't disappoint. Google for places to buy online. Here's a link to reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=W&TID=2778

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 17:39
http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/C000372.htm

rockrat
08-31-2008, 19:19
I use a basket pipe from the local tobacconist for my backpacking/beater pipe, and then I have a Brigham Algonquin series for my nice pipe back at home. The Brigham has a maple insert that reduces tongue bite significantly so its a good choice for a beginner.

Summit
08-31-2008, 22:17
http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/C000372.htmTrying to relate this link to discussion of pipes and pipe tobacco . . . having a tough time. :p :)

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 23:20
I forgot, no leviety allowed.
M&C warning.

44terryberry
06-25-2021, 07:16
I pack a pipe with a Stokkebe English Oriental blend

JNI64
06-25-2021, 08:01
Glass. Sativa day. Indica night.