PDA

View Full Version : Hike recommendations in SNP or south of SNP

deadhorsejoe
07-29-2008, 23:23
My son and I will be in Lexington, Virginia in early August and are kicking around the possibility of doing a 25 to 30 mile backpack over a 3 day period. Any recommendations of possible loops (or point to point with reasonable shuttle) in the SNP or south of the SNP within a couple hours drive of Lexington. Thanks for any recommendations.

Ronnen
07-30-2008, 04:09
Few shuttles and very expensive. Much cheaper to rent a car and do loops.

Don't miss Old Rag loop - a full day trip if you spend some time in the summit (recommended).

Cedar Run and Whiteoak Canyon loop - again, a full day trip if you spend
some time near the water - recommended.

Blackrock (south of Loft Mountain) - a very nice 1 hour loop.

Stonyman and LIttle Stonyman - a nice 3 hour loop.

deadhorsejoe
07-30-2008, 09:02
Few shuttles and very expensive. Much cheaper to rent a car and do loops.

Don't miss Old Rag loop - a full day trip if you spend some time in the summit (recommended).

Cedar Run and Whiteoak Canyon loop - again, a full day trip if you spend
some time near the water - recommended.

Blackrock (south of Loft Mountain) - a very nice 1 hour loop.

Stonyman and LIttle Stonyman - a nice 3 hour loop.

Thanks Ronnen. We will give these a look. Hopefully we can find a long loop in the area that will allow us to be out 3 days and arrive back close to the car at the end. Thanks again for your help.

Grayjoe

Blissful
07-30-2008, 11:33
It's hard to do a three day trip in SNP without some means of a shuttle since most trails follow a ridge or go back up and back down to a hollow. You might be able to do Rockfish Gap to Swift Run Gap in SNP in three days along the AT (three nights and four days would probably be better). Depends on how far you want to go each day. We live near Swift Run Gap and might be able to help shuttle, depending on the day, availability etc.

Another possibilty is the Three Ridges along the AT and back down the Mar Har Trail. That would give you a circuit hike starting at the VA 56 Tye River where you can park your car (nice parking lot) and no shuttle needed. Two nights, three days for a leisurely hike if you stay at Harper Creek (you can arrive late in the afternoon and hike the couple of miles to the shelter area) and Maupin Field over the Three Ridges, return via Mar Har. Water might be a situation at Maupin, though as it tends to vary.

CherrypieScout
08-02-2008, 12:53
A possible loop could be using the Moorman River Road. It connects Jarmin gap with Black Rock gap. I completed a section hike there last weekend (actually I hiked from Harpers Ferry, through the SNP, to Dripping Rock on the Blue Ridge). I used the Moorman River Road to hike from Black Rock Hut to Calf Mtn instead of the AT. It had plenty of water (river) and lots of neat places to swim and enjoy the water along the way. If you park at Black Rock Gap, you could hike to the Hut, hike the AT to Calf Mtn Shelter, then retrun to your car by the Moorman River Road. THere is no water available from Black Rock to Calf Mtn along the AT, so you would have to carry what you need for travel.

Ronnen
08-03-2008, 09:32
Whatever you decide - don't miss Old Rag!

deadhorsejoe
08-03-2008, 22:32
Thanks for the recommendations. Having first hand knowledge from those familiar with the area is very helpful.

Press
08-04-2008, 20:19
I did a three day loop earlier this summer from the Old Rag parking lot. Go over Old Rag the first day, then walk down the fire road a mile or two to the bottom/entrance of White Oak Canyon. You can walk up that trail a mile or two and camp, then walk up the canyon to the AT/Skyline Drive the next day. I camped that night in the woods near the top of the Old Rag fire road, then walked partway down the fire road then onto another trail that leads back to the Old Rag parking lot on the third day. Got back to my car by late morning on third day, so you can probably add a half-day's worth of hiking if you want to on the various side trails.

Dogwood
08-06-2008, 02:03
Ditto the heads-up for Old Rag and Cedar Run/Whiteoak canyon loops. Best hikes in the park!