PDA

View Full Version : superfeet questions

Wags
07-30-2008, 00:00
i've been thinking about it for awhile and thought i'd throw it out to those who've used em before. i have good feet. no over/under pronation. don't get blisters, ever. i wear sneakers to hike in and have been giving thought to trying superfeet as a preventive from destroying my arches as i begin to get into longer, more strenuous hikes (planning thru in 2010). so my question is that: are superfeet good for preventing my feet from getting wrecked or are they soley used for making wrecked feet more comfortable? also, what's the difference b/t the colors? which would you recommend? 6'0" 165# @30# pack including food & water

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2008, 00:08
I don't use any type of insole, but I was surprised to hear from someone that uses Superfeet, that they require a break-in period.

RedneckRye
07-30-2008, 01:16
Green are a bit thicker and have a more aggressive (pronounced) arch, and are typically used in boots.

Blue are a bit thinner and are designed to be used in lower volume footwear (aka trail runners). Be advised, they have a bit of a ridge along the bottom outside edge of the heel that may damage Gore-Tex linings if you have that type of footwear.

Orange (or Berry for womens footwear) are what they call their "comfort" insoles. They have a pad under the fore foot that gives a bit of cushion. The arch isn't quite as pronounced and is a bit more flexible then the green or blue. The only difference between the Orange and Berry is that the Berry is a bit narrower.

As far as a break in period, you just have to realize that Superfeet have much more arch than you are probably used to having under your feet and it will take your feet a while to get used to them. When most folks first slip them into their shoes the first comment is "Wow, the arch feels like it is a bit too far back." Exactly, this supports the front of the heel bone and limits your pronation (collapse of the arch as you roll from heel to ball thru your stride). Superfeet aren't about cushion, they provide support.

As far as keeping your feet from getting wrecked, I don't know. I switched before my feet got wrecked. I had a bit of plantar faschiatis (or however that is spelled) show up and tried Superfeet as they were much cheaper than a podiatrist and custom orthopedics. Two days later my foot pain in my arch was gone.

The really good thing about Superfeet is that they have a 60 day, no question money back guarantee. In the 10 years that I have worked at shops that sells Superfeet, I've had about a dozen returns. I've used them in all of my shoes other than my Chaco Sandals for the last 12 years. Any time I try on a new pair of footwear, the first thing I do is pull out the crap insoles that come in them and replace them with Superfeet. They also have models for ice skates, golf shoes, insulated boots, and high heels.

Along with Gold Bond powder, good underwear and trekking poles, Superfeet are probably the best thing for hiking that you can spend your $$$ on.

Check out their site for the full info.
http://superfeet.com/

trailangelmary
07-30-2008, 01:25
Great post redneck. Thanks for all the info.

Lyle
07-30-2008, 01:25
I just started using Superfeet this past year with great results. That said, my advise to you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My understanding of the differences:

Blue - less bulky, good arch and heel support. Designed for shoes that don't have removable insoles.

Green - take up more space in the shoe, good arch and heel support. Designed for shoes that came with removable insoles (they replace the originals)

Orange - take up medium amount of space in the shoe, good arch and heel support, plus metatarsal padding. Designed for shoes that came with removable insoles (replace the original)
Berry - women's version of Orange

All require some adjustment time, mine was very quick.

Highly recommended if you have consistent foot problems - Once you have properly fitting shoes/boots.

fiddlehead
07-30-2008, 04:08
I don't think they are a preventative.

I have hiked a lot (20k miles) and also have jogged a lot (probably the same)

I used superfeet once because my feet were hurting on one thru and someone recommended them. They did the job.
A month or two later, my feet stopped hurting (had the green ones)
I stopped using them after that hike and never wore them again.

Have done 2 or 3 thrus since then and much jogging with just the regular insoles that come in the shoes. i also will say that i wear shoes until they have holes in them. I am not one of those hikers who thinks you have to get a new pair every 500 miles. I've gone 1300 miles already on a pair of Montrail Vitesse's.

Mrs Baggins
07-30-2008, 06:23
I tried them out when my feet started to ache really bad. They were recommended to me at Mountain Crossings. They did absolutely nothing to help. Turned out my arches were collapsing and I needed far more of a support than the green superfeet could offer. I needed custom made orthotics. I've since replaced those with the highest arched insoles I can find and an extra arch support under that. Works perfectly for me.

Peaks
07-30-2008, 07:15
Back to your original question: Yes, Superfeet do help stop your feet from spreading. They do this because they provide more support for your foot and arch than conventional inner soles.

Your feet spread because of the additional load that they are carrying day after day. Give them some better support, and that shouldn't happen.

A couple of words of caution:

1. Make sure that the superfeet get fitted to your feet. There is more to it than just picking the appropriate shoe size off the rack.

2. Superfeet don't work for everyone. They take some getting used to.

Tagless
07-30-2008, 08:34
I've used blue Superfeet in my Hardrock Trail Runners for the past year and believe they help me better maintain a proper foot position. I tend to pronate excessively, so perhaps I enjoy greater benefit as compared to others without similar foot problems. I first began with the green version of SF and found them to be too "aggressive."

On a side note, out of curiosity, I recently tried a pair of Montrail Enduro Insoles and determined that (for me) blue Superfeet are more a comfortable hiking shoe choice.

Wags
07-30-2008, 09:20
great info so far gang. keep going!

Footslogger
07-30-2008, 09:21
so my question is that: are superfeet good for preventing my feet from getting wrecked or are they soley used for making wrecked feet more comfortable? also, what's the difference b/t the colors? which would you recommend? 6'0" 165# @30# pack including food & water
================================

Actual experience varies but SuperFeet are designed to provide heel stability and solid arch support. They don't descriminate between existing foot problems and prevention of foot problems.

The difference colors designate different applications. For backpacking/hiking you want to look at one of 3 styles (colors): The Green Trim-to-fits, the Orange Trim-to-fits (with extra padding under the toe line) or (if you have extreme foot issues or variations from foot to foot) the Brown "Custom" SuperFeet.

'Slogger

buz
07-30-2008, 09:26
I got the green superfeet to replace the crap insoles of my old ski boots. They were perfect for those. Tried them on my hiking shoes, not so great. Bought some blue ones, and they have been in my hiking shoes ever since. I don't know if they are "good" for my feet, I just know the typical insole in shoes is a formless nothing, and the superfeet aren't, so they must be "better". And I have never had a problem with my hiking feet, and I have high arches. Just returned from Philmont, 90 miles in the mountains, no problems whatsoever. I am soled, lol. You should go somewhere that has a good selection on them, and size them correctly, IMO.

Footslogger
07-30-2008, 10:08
[quote=buz;674547]I got the green superfeet to replace the crap insoles of my old ski boots. They were perfect for those. Tried them on my hiking shoes, not so great. Bought some blue ones, and they have been in my hiking shoes ever since.
====================================

The Blue SuperFeet are for more casual shoes and are thinner. They are designed to be used in footwear that has a permanent (non-removable) insert. The Green ones are designed to replace the manufacturers insert.

But hey ...if they work for you that's the important thing !!

'Slogger

BookBurner
07-30-2008, 10:33
An earlier poster said it best - "If it ain't broke don't fix it". A light pack weight is by far and away the best preventative for foot problems! I'd suggest you focus your attention and budget in that area instead of on inserts.

Nearly Normal
07-30-2008, 18:12
They work well for me. Break in period needed.

sbennett
07-30-2008, 20:09
Superfeet have always provided good arch support, but, to me, have never been that comfortable cushion wise. There are plenty of other insoles out there that are more comfortable cushion wise and provide similar arch support including the following:

Sole insoles
New balance insoles
Spenco Backpacking insoles
etc.

Phreak
07-30-2008, 20:13
Custom inserts are the best solution. I had mine made 2 years ago, and it's made a world of difference. I can knock out insane mileage and my feet are fine.

They are expensive, but well worth the money.

Phreak
07-30-2008, 20:15
Superfeet have always provided good arch support, but, to me, have never been that comfortable cushion wise. There are plenty of other insoles out there that are more comfortable cushion wise and provide similar arch support including the following:

Sole insoles
New balance insoles
Spenco Backpacking insoles
etc.

Inserts are not designed to provide cushion. They are rigid for proper alignment of your feet. Your shoes are what provide cushion for your feet.

elray
07-30-2008, 21:07
Blue SuperFeet insoles are a cheap alternative to custom made insoles and do require a short break in period. I have used them exclusively in NB trail runners and they perform very well. Even wore them through the entire PA section with no problems. Just my two cents.

Blissful
07-30-2008, 21:16
Superfeet killed my feet - but I have flat arches. They really hurt.

Spenco hiker insoles were great for me. Used them the entire hike...replaced them often as well.

hopefulhiker
07-30-2008, 21:33
I used the blue ones from Damascus on.. I believe they helped with the trail runners,Montrail Hardrocks.

Footslogger
07-30-2008, 21:44
Inserts are not designed to provide cushion. They are rigid for proper alignment of your feet. Your shoes are what provide cushion for your feet.

==================================

This post is right on the money. The theory behind SuperFeet is that we are all born with adequate padding on the soles of our feet. What we need is something that stabilizes the heel and supports the arch for a solid heel plant and stride.

===================================

Superfeet killed my feet - but I have flat arches. They really hurt.

Spenco hiker insoles were great for me. Used them the entire hike...replaced them often as well.

==================================

SuperFeet are definitely NOT for everyone, especially those with extreme flat feet. No matter how much break-in time you allow the built-in arch of the SuperFeet will press to hard against the bottom of the foot and actually cause bruising and pain.

Spenco's work for a lot of people but they are basically a "sponge". They feel more comfortable because of the feeling of cushioning they provide. The drawback is that they tend to allow excess foot movement inside your footwear if it does not fit well/correctly.

'Slogger

sbennett
07-30-2008, 22:00

Please don't respond to my comment like I'm an idiot. Of course I know that the midsoles in your shoes (be it in EVA foam or polyurethane) provide the most cushioning in a shoe. Also, I don't recall saying that insoles are made for cushioning, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that they're not designed to provide cushioning at all. If so, why do many insoles come in different thicknesses of foam? My comment just suggested that, in my own opinion, I think there were other insoles out there that provide an equivalent amount of support as a pair of Superfeet, albeit in a more comfortable manner.

Wags
07-30-2008, 22:52
so i walk the pa trails w/ no troubles at all in regular sneakers. i'm not really worried about cushioning or protection from rocks (don't really know why pa gets such a bad rep about them). my primary concern is the super long distance wear on my tires. i'd rather not ruin my feet for the rest of my life b/c i want to do a thru. are superfeet my best bet to prevent this? (as far as feet are concerned - obviously a lower pack weight and hiking poles will also play a factor)

bkrownd
08-07-2008, 10:02
An earlier poster said it best - "If it ain't broke don't fix it". A light pack weight is by far and away the best preventative for foot problems!

Chances are that it is broke. Many/most boots come with bad cheap insoles that should be replaced on day one. Boots aren't complete without the right insole. Superfeet isn't the only brand available, but unfortunately many of the others can be hard to find.

whitefoot_hp
08-07-2008, 12:24
orange superfeet nearly destroyed my feet. well after the break in period, i had to leave them at mountain crossings during a section back in march. there was simply no padding under the ball of my foot. the arch support was great though. i used the cheap green insoles that are sold at mtn xings. i would reccomend finding the superfeet that are designed for shoes that do not have a removable insole and simply place those on top of some insoles in shoes that will allow this.

whitefoot_hp
08-07-2008, 12:30
funny how most inserts are made of some form of foam, and superfeet contain foam.

some inserts are indeed designed to provide support and cushion, or at least the makers are hoping you will believe this.

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Green.aspx

skinny minnie
08-08-2008, 09:05
You don't want to mess with your feet. If you have numbness or pain you should get inserts. I know my local running store has a variety of inserts, some of which are allegedly more "custom" than superfeet. I'm going to be looking into these... and maybe also even talking to a podiatrist. I have really high arches and my feet bother me after only a few hours of hiking. the thought of permanently collapsing my arches/messing up my feet really freaks me out.