PDA

View Full Version : Drowning along the trail (not a hiker)

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 00:08
Just got back from Pine Grove Furnace State Park, where officials have suspended for the night what they are now calling recovery efforts for a 17-year-old boy believed to have drowned in Fuller Lake.

For those familiar with the trail in that area, Fuller is the smaller of the two lakes there, the first one north from the hostel/store area. The trail literally runs across the edge of the beach there.

The kid was with a group from a youth home near Philly that was camping in the group tenting area of the park. Details are still sketchy, but the cold water may have been a factor.

Water temps were 52 degrees. Cold enough that the divers helping look for the body were limiting their time in the water.

Hikers who might want to take a dip after the effects of their half gallon wear off should be advised this lake is kjnown for its cold water temps. It is an old iron ore quarry fed by springs at the bottom. It also is very deep -- dropping to 55-60 feet outside of the roped off swimming area.

Also, be advised, there are no lifeguards at any Pa. State park beaches (except Presque Isle on Lake Erie) anymore. They were eliminated this year. DCNR said the move would save $800,000.

I will post a link to the story I did for the paper in the morning.

notorius tic
07-30-2008, 00:50
Im fully aware sorry for the loss of a child but when I hiked past it last year it was closed an the water fountains were shut off.. SO the TRAIL WAS MUDDY an I HIT THE MID POINT with a little less gratitude than I had before.. I was thirsty.? sry I dont hope to offend anyone with this.. They had posted it up saying NO SWIMMING an the conseesion stand was CLOSED.. SRY for the family..

trailangelmary
07-30-2008, 01:19
Just got back from Pine Grove Furnace State Park, where officials have suspended for the night what they are now calling recovery efforts for a 17-year-old boy believed to have drowned in Fuller Lake.

For those familiar with the trail in that area, Fuller is the smaller of the two lakes there, the first one north from the hostel/store area. The trail literally runs across the edge of the beach there.

The kid was with a group from a youth home near Philly that was camping in the group tenting area of the park. Details are still sketchy, but the cold water may have been a factor.

Sad, too young.

RedneckRye
07-30-2008, 01:30
Im fully aware sorry for the loss of a child but when I hiked past it last year it was closed an the water fountains were shut off.. SO the TRAIL WAS MUDDY an I HIT THE MID POINT with a little less gratitude than I had before.. I was thirsty.? sry I dont hope to offend anyone with this.. They had posted it up saying NO SWIMMING an the conseesion stand was CLOSED.. SRY for the family..

Any chance someone could translate this post to english?
I'm not sure if I should be sad, offended of just confused by it.

Bad news when it all ends quickly and out of the blue for someone, young or old.

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 07:00

That was probably the second lake, which was drawn down to remove sediment last year. The smaller Fuller Lake remained open, I think, though there is construction nearby of a new bathhouse facility.

They also plan to put in an "alternate" route for the trail that will run parallel, but on the other side of the creek that runs through there. The ranger who I talked to said that was to allow hikers and walkers, especially those with dogs, to stay off the beach.

I asked him if it would actually be white blazed and he was not sure.

Curious, are there similr situations on the trail? How would purists who want to touch every whote blaze handle such a situation? Or would the "alternate" route likely be blue blazed (or the trail just relocated to that side of the stream)?

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 07:03
Here is that link: Missing teenager feared drowned (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/12173929714900.xml&coll=1)

Wags
07-30-2008, 09:51
i swam in that lake a lot as a kid. my family had a cabin there. yes it always was very cold. if the kid was from philly there's a chance he never learned to swim, something those of us who grow up in the country take for granted. sad

Hoop Time
07-30-2008, 10:43
Actually, they said he did not appear to be struggling and could swim. By saying "from Philly" I am guessing you saw the TV reports that referred to the group as from a Philly area organization. It is actually a Lehigh Valley organization, though this bunch was from their home in Warminster, Bucks County,

Blissful
07-30-2008, 11:20
So sad.