PDA

View Full Version : Footwear help?

RememberYourZen
07-30-2008, 11:29
Hey guys, I'm doing a 40-mile backpacking trip near Mt. Rogers in a couple of weeks. My question to you is: will I be ok with my merrell chameleon shoes on the trail or should I get some hiking boots? I plan on buying some boots eventually (especially if I thru-hike), but I'm not sure if I have the funds to fork out just yet for a good pair. Any suggestions or do you think I'll be fine?

Lone Wolf
07-30-2008, 11:31
you'll be fine. no boots needed

RememberYourZen
07-30-2008, 11:33
Bah, ok. I was hoping for an excuse to get some boots despite my shifty financial situation, haha. The chameleon's have been like tanks for me though, so I figured I'd be ok. Thanks

Mother's Finest
07-30-2008, 11:52
buy your boots after your trip.

then spend some time breaking them in.

last thing you want is new boots and 40 miles ahead.

peace
mf

buff_jeff
07-30-2008, 11:54
If you wanted to, you could hike the whole thing on a few pairs of running shoes, honestly.

Kerosene
07-30-2008, 12:27
Agreed; the Chameleon's will do just fine, especially if you keep your pack weight and/or mileage down.

Wise Old Owl
07-30-2008, 17:54
I agree with LW, and as a second motion Gortex & other exspensive boots are overrated. Some of the nasty bits here in PA maybe you need a vibram sole - but that need is very rare.

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:02
will I be ok with my merrell chameleon shoes on the trail or should I get some hiking boots?You have what most hikers are preferring nowadays, given that you adopt a moderately light-weight approach in your gear.

Bare Bear
07-30-2008, 18:58
I see very few people using heavy boots now. Whatever you choose make sure you have at least three pair broken in before your thru......it is hard to find exactly what you need and some outfitters will sell you what they got, not what you need. Then you still have to break em in.

RememberYourZen
07-31-2008, 09:08
You have what most hikers are preferring nowadays, given that you adopt a moderately light-weight approach in your gear.

I'm trying my darndest to become as much of a minimalist as possible. But a minimalist to one person is a heavy-packer to another :). I'm trying to ween myself off bringing tons of gear, because I'm used to over-packing.

This is a bunch of great info guys. My brother just bought some new hiking boots, I'm gonna have to let him know he needs to break those bad boys in before we make our trip.

BookBurner
07-31-2008, 09:49
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Stay with the trailrunners. Boots are blister factories and do not provide any significant ankle support depite urban legends to the contrary. (Flex a pair of boots anywhere above the heel cup - you think that is going to lock your ankle in place and prevent a sprain!) Good luck and keep trimming the weight from your pack. You're on the right path.

RememberYourZen
07-31-2008, 09:54
I guess that means I should bring some mole skin along or something in case the sibling gets uncomfortable is his spankin' new boots.

Plodderman
07-31-2008, 10:32
Just hiked there, no boots needed.

highway
07-31-2008, 11:30
If you wanted to, you could hike the whole thing on a few pairs of hiking sandals, honestly.

BookBurner
07-31-2008, 11:39
Moleskin and plenty of clear duct tape (really sticks well to sweaty feet)!

trailfoot
08-01-2008, 08:49
My question to you is: will I be ok with my merrell chameleon shoes on the trail or should I get some hiking boots?

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOTS. You will be fine with Merrell boots. If you don't like your Merrell shoes for some reason when you return I'd try some Montrails. Just stay away from big heavy boots, there not needed on the AT. Way too heavy and will slow you down.

TF