PDA

View Full Version : Springer to NOC

Ashman
07-30-2008, 14:22
Planning a Trip from Spinger to NOC with a pal, Shuttle suggestions? Also where is a good midpoint to restock and/or sent a resupply package ahead of time?

Cookerhiker
07-30-2008, 14:31
A good halfway point is Hiawassee, the last road crossing in GA on US Rt. 76. Check out the town's services for hikers in the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn07.pdf). For shuttlers, WBers closer to the area can give you a good idea but I suggest contacting Ron Haven (a WBer) who owns the Haven Motel in Franklin. I don't suggest resupplying in Franklin because it's only 2, 3 at the most days from NOC but Ron's a good guy and good resource.

Mocs123
07-30-2008, 14:32
Springer Mtn to Wesser is something like 133 miles, I would probably make a couple of resupply stops. I would definately stop at Neels Gap for a resupply. I hear the outfitter there (Mountain Crossings) is very good with those things. There are also road crossings at Dicks Creek Gap, Wallace Gap and one more just past Wallace Gap on 64 that I just cant remember the name of at the moment.

Cookerhiker
07-30-2008, 14:34
....and one more just past Wallace Gap on 64 that I just cant remember the name of at the moment.

Winding Stair Gap

Ashman
07-30-2008, 14:37
I'm not going to Wesser I am looking to stop at NOC, by my math that is 101 miles, am I reading something wrong?

Monkeyboy
07-30-2008, 14:39
The NOC is past Winding Stair Gap when going NOBO.

It's a good point to get into Franklin for resupply if necessary.

DesertMTB
07-30-2008, 14:39
NOC is in Wesser

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2008, 14:49
Wesser is the name of a town that no longer exists. NOC is basically all that's left.

Ashman
07-30-2008, 15:04
Okay thanks I was reading the maps wrong, didn't see there was more stuff on the OTHER side leaving out 30+ THAT wouldn't have been cool.

Cookerhiker
07-30-2008, 15:05
I'm not going to Wesser I am looking to stop at NOC, by my math that is 101 miles, am I reading something wrong?

No, it's 135 miles per the latest Companion. Dicks Creek Gap/Rt. 76 is 67 miles from Springer i.e. halfway which I why I suggested it as your resupply.

And where/how often your resupply depends of course on your pace and how many days food you wish to carry.

max patch
07-30-2008, 15:07
Here are the places (with mileage) I would consider resupplying at:

00 Springer
31 Neels Gap
67 Dicks Creek Gap (Hiawasse)
107 Winding Stair Gap (Franklin)
134 NOC

I would definitely resupply at Neels Gap as walk thru the store on the trail. I'd buy from them, but you can leave a box there for a small fee if you'd like.

You should base your decision re Dicks Creek and Winding Stair depending on how many miles you want between town stops and if you want to maximize or minimize your stops. Thats your preference. You can stop at both of em, one of em, or none of them. They are both good towns.

Sly
07-30-2008, 15:19

00 Springer
31 Neels Gap
134 NOC

I would definitely resupply at.....

I'd stop at all of them. I'm tired of carrying food.

gearfreak
07-30-2008, 15:24

00 Springer
31 Neels Gap
134 NOC

I would definitely resupply at Neels Gap as walk thru the store on the trail. I'd buy from them, but you can leave a box there for a small fee if you'd like.

You should base your decision re Dicks Creek and Winding Stair depending on how many miles you want between town stops and if you want to maximize or minimize your stops. Thats your preference. You can stop at both of em, one of em, or none of them. They are both good towns.

This is the drop box plan that I would follow. For a reasonably priced shuttle you can contact Joyce Monroe and Sally Smith in Hiawassee at (706) 896-9339 and [email protected] :cool:

shoe
07-30-2008, 17:33
when are you planning on this trip?

Ashman
07-30-2008, 19:01
Next Summer late June early July

shoe
07-30-2008, 19:19
I figured you were looking for this year. I might could've shuttled you down in GA.

Ashman
07-30-2008, 19:24
Thanks for the thought, I'm itching for my next trip so I get the planning bug kinda early!

Ashman
08-01-2008, 20:58
My eagerness may not be matching my hiking partner's. Although longer than I orginally thought it was, I really liked the idea of doing a big section finishing off at NOC, we may be stopping at Winding Stair instead. I see in the map that highway 64 runs right through Winding Stair Gap and there is a parking lot there. How good is the lot there? Better to Park there or somewhere in town?

Blissful
08-01-2008, 21:18

00 Springer
31 Neels Gap
134 NOC

Ditto. You can mail drop at Neels and NOC if you want also, depending on food preferences and budget as it is more limited.

Sly
08-01-2008, 21:26
Yeah, send some street clothes to NOC, and take a shower when you're done. You could also start the 1st of the year and hike into the Southern Ruck!

Ashman
08-03-2008, 06:29
Bump

Is it better to park at WSG for a Section hike or hitch into town?

Kirby
08-03-2008, 07:54
The parking lot at WSG is large and paved. However, you might consider working something with Ron Haven, he bends over backwards to help hikers out.

Kirby

Ashman
08-03-2008, 08:08
Good info Kirby. I know that is Ron's neighborhood but do I need to be bothering him for a section hike?

shoe
08-03-2008, 11:58
Bother him ;)
I have utilized Ron's services on my several sections in the area.
He is always willing to help.
I would be leary of leaving my car at any parking area for an long lenght of time.

bigcranky
08-03-2008, 14:33
That 30 extra miles to NOC is pretty spectacular. Be nice if you could add it on. The whole section is nice. BTW I totally agree with Sly, get food as often as possible.

You should be able to get a shuttle from Franklin to Springer pretty easily. I would call Ron and ask him. If you want to go all the way to NOC, then Jeff or Nancy Hoch at The Hike Inn would be a good option for a shuttle.

Just be prepared to pay $$$ for shuttles these days.

Roots
08-03-2008, 15:21
This is just a suggestion. I did Springer to Newfound Gap in April. I did mail drops only because I have certain things I eat. I did one at Neels, shopped at Hiawassee, shopped at Franklin, mail drop at NOC, mail drop at Fontana. The main reason for all the resupplies is because it kept my pack weight down.

I would work it out with Ron about parking. Although Winding Stair has a large parking space, I am not sure about the safety of your car for a couple weeks. DEFINITELY ask Ron.

As far as shuttles anywhere else I would refer to any of the handbooks. There are great options. I used one that I don't know if it is listed. In Hiawassee, Joyce Monroe and Sally Smith shuttle. Their number is 706-896-9339. Sally took us from the Holiday Inn to Dicks Creek Gap for $8. Great lady!

I agree about going on to NOC. The section from Winding Stair to NOC is amazing. I've done some of it a few times and never get tired of it. PLUS the NOC has some great food and spirits. :)