PDA

View Full Version : AT Trail Crew Experiences?

JohnnyBongo
07-30-2008, 15:42
I was wondering if anyone here has worked on any of the ATC trail crews, and what their expeirence was like? I have recently applied for the Mid-Atlantic crew, but have not heard a response yet.

The ATC also asks for a contribution towards the food and transportation expenses, but I'm a little strapped for cash. Does anyone know what an "acceptable" contribution in their eyes would be? I can certainly provide my own food and contribute to fuel expenses, but I cannot subsidize much more than that.

I'm in the middle of a career change right now, and have quite a bit of time available in September and October. I thought that a few weeks of trail maintenance might be more rewarding than spending the same amount of time hiking the trail. Any thoughts?

ki0eh
07-30-2008, 22:12
Speaking as a maintainer and a hiker the work of the Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew is very much needed and appreciated. I certainly hope you are made to feel welcome.

Unfortunately I don't personally know how the logistics work (I've only come out for a day here and there with an ATC crew, though I have led six KTA crew weeks) so I hope someone with more experience in that regard will answer your particular question.

BobS
07-31-2008, 07:35
Johnny - All ATC Trail Crews are terrific experiences..... :)

I administer the Mid-Atlantic Crew. I try to talk to each prospective new crew volunteer - I've been out on vacation this week, but will give you a call when I'm back in early next week.

Bob

jersey joe
07-31-2008, 08:30
Again...whiteblaze never ceases to amaze me...someone posts a question about the mid-atlantic crew and the administrator of that crew posts back...this site reaches a lot of people...

CherrypieScout
08-02-2008, 12:40
I spent a week with the Konnorack crew in VA. Had the best time and worked hard. I found it exciting to give back to the trail and to learn all the work involved in placing the stepping stones. Now when I step on the stepping stones, over water breaks, I even more appreciate the effort and energy that went into the trail maintenance. I would strongly advise you to spend a week with Konnorack or Blackburn or with other ATC trail crews.

minnesotasmith
08-02-2008, 12:45
Twice, it was a good-sized group that seemed to have their act fully together and were getting some serious work done. The third time, it was a trio of young people (all looked under age 20) that seemed kind of confused and were milling around.

max patch
08-02-2008, 12:45
I

The ATC also asks for a contribution towards the food and transportation expenses, but I'm a little strapped for cash. Does anyone know what an "acceptable" contribution in their eyes would be? I can certainly provide my own food and contribute to fuel expenses, but I cannot subsidize much more than that.

I support the ATC financially, but I think if you are willing to give up a week of your time to work on the trail then the ATC asking for money from you in addition to your labor is a bit over the top. I think a contribution of $0.00 could be offered with a clean conscience.

Tennessee Viking
08-02-2008, 16:19
My club is currently working with Konnarock the last few weeks. We got just got done with relocations on Little Hump (won't open till 09), and Unaka (we are still dressing it up, but open). Its quite an adventure working with Konnarock. There are several that return every year. We even had a Konnarocker that returned to adopt a small section of trail even though its a 2-3 hour drive for him.

If you work with Konnarock, and Morgan is in charge. Get ready for the time of your life.

Just be ready for the unexpected. This week has been nothing but break and carrying rock.

ki0eh
08-03-2008, 18:08
Just be ready for the unexpected. This week has been nothing but break and carrying rock.

What's unexpected about that? That's pretty much been my experience on each of my occasional days with the MidATC. ;)

Sly
08-03-2008, 19:32
I support the ATC financially, but I think if you are willing to give up a week of your time to work on the trail then the ATC asking for money from you in addition to your labor is a bit over the top. I think a contribution of $0.00 could be offered with a clean conscience.

It must be fairly recent the ATC started asking for money as I've never heard of it before. Some of the other trail crews, PCT for instance, also ask for money to cover food and transportation. That said, I don't think they'd deny a cash strapped volunteer.

Digger'02
08-06-2008, 12:00
I think that part in the application (the contributions part) came up when folks asked if they could also make a contribution when they turned in their application. I thought it weird myself and then someone told me that it could be a 'two birds with one stone' mentality, you know 'while I'm applying, why don't I drop them a couple of bucks?' type of thing.

I hope this thread gets more activity, I hope that there is some good feedback about the crew programs.

Two Speed
08-06-2008, 12:11
Possibly a bad attitude on my part, but if I'm contributing my time and efforts I think that does qualify as a contribution. Not even gonna bring up the expense for gasoline on my part to get to and from the work site.

Digger'02
08-06-2008, 14:29
I agree with you 100% and so does the ATC and the NPS. No one looks down on anyone for volunteering but not including a donation, lets stop that farce before it gets started. The ATC deffinately considers time spet on crews as a contribution: your time is actually the most valuable contribution to the ATC. The part about money is on there because folks have commonly included donations with their applications for their own reasons.

Sandy B
08-18-2008, 21:51
I worked a week last year on a SWEAT crew in the GSMNP. It was great, (I have changed duty stations and was not able to attend this year) I would highly recommend to anyone, Get out and make a difference. It will change your views on trails, you will build a step or two, and that might take most of the day and walking back to camp you go over many steps--- thinking of "just how much man power was used to build this trail?" It is humbling to think of the work that has gone into building the AT and other trails.
Go for it!! and THANK YOU to all who volunteer.

Sandy B

MOWGLI
08-18-2008, 21:59
The third time, it was a trio of young people (all looked under age 20) that seemed kind of confused and were milling around.

Probably saw you coming through with that humongous pack and that costume. That would account for the confused look.

Trail work is an incredibly rewarding experience. You get to meet lots of cool folks, become part of a team, learn some cool skills, and if you're in the job market, get a nice entry on your resume. Go for it! If you have questions about the financial contribution, give the ATC a call and explain your situation.

spencerb
08-24-2008, 14:52
I worked a good chunk of a summer on Konnarock crew a couple of years back and have returned for a few weeks here and there at Konnarock and MidAtlantic.

For me, working crew is one of the most fulfilling things I have done, and I would strongly encourage anyone who is thinking of doing it, to just go out there for a week and experience it. The best part of the trail crew is the people you work with both on the crew and the maintaining clubs.

Honestly, volunteering a summer at Konnarock changed my life outlook during a very formative time of my life. It also encouraged me that small groups of people can change things, accomplish things and get it done. Every day there is a sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment. I dug that bit of trail. I made that junk cribbing. I painted that blaze.

I am really looking forward to when I thruhike next year and being able to walk over trail I made. When you spend a day creating a yard of trail that most hikers will fly over, you will appreciate every yard of trail you hike over that much more.

Your time is very valuable to the ATC so if you don't have the spare money, don't worry about it. They really appreciate it when people are just willing to come out there with a positive attitude and the willingness to work to the best of their abilities.

fancyfeet
08-25-2008, 20:18
I have done 3 work sessions with Rocky Top Crew (GSMNP) and can highly recommend any crew experience. I'm sure the ATC will appreciate your sweat equity, if you can't spare extra cash.

Trail work is a great way to give something back to the AT. I'm a section hiker and haven't yet hiked the GSMNP, but I know that when I do, I'll remember building certain steps and waterbars. Also, it's a great way to meet some of the coolest people ever.

Highly recommended. Side note: If Mid Atlantic Crew is still run by Ted, you'll love it. He's very funny, highly competent, kind and genuine.