PDA

View Full Version : Maine landslide

weary
07-30-2008, 16:11
I got this report by email a couple of hours ago about an apparent landslide on Moody Mountain in Maine. Nothing has been officially confirmed. But here it is anyway so people can be forwarned. Moody is a small, but very steep, PUD, located about 20 miles north of Grafton Notch

"I don't know if anyone at MATC has been advised yet, but there has been
quite a substantial landslide on the south side of Moody mountain (between
South Arm road and East B Hill road. *It may have occurred in the heavy rain
this past week.

"The slide is about halfway down the mountain in the steep area where iron
rungs, switchbacks and rock steps are. *The slide has wiped out two sections
of the trail between switchbacks and a third trail crossing, at the top of
the slide is currently across rocks that are precariously balanced over
nothing but air at the top of the slide. *The slide took everything off the
hillside, rocks, trees, dirt, everything down to the bedrock for about 100
vertical feet and maybe 30 feet wide. *The bottom of the slide is
approximately half a mile up trail from Sawyer brook.

"Hikers are passing through, northbounders seem to be able to pick their
way up the edges, and many southbounders are finding a way down or around by bushwacking. *The biggest concern may be that the remaining trail crossing at the top may not last much longer and come sliding down with someone on it.

"Anyway, if someone has already been made aware of this situation, please
disregard this email, but I thought that MATC may not have heard yet, even
though the word is spreading up and down the hikers on the trail in the
immediate area.

"With regards
Janette Davison

Red Hat
07-30-2008, 17:39
I've read about it in a couple of trailjournals. Like the quote says, some southbounders are just bushwacking around it... http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=245612 (This journal is probably the same woman who reported it.)

hiker33
07-30-2008, 18:47
who could have been in the area when it let go.:-?:eek:

TJ aka Teej
07-30-2008, 18:57
Good reports, thanks Weary and Red Hat.

Lauriep
07-30-2008, 19:27
Thanks for posting this.

I suspect the appropriate MATC folks have already been notified, but I've passed this along to them just in case, and have alerted ATC's New England regional office, and others.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2008, 22:39
That's too bad. I remember that mountain well. I remember thinking how much work MATC must have put into that trail. IMO, It was one of the best trails/mountains in Maine. Real Joy to climb.

Rifleman
07-31-2008, 01:09
Decent of you to post. Query. How about next time put the "Disregard this post" message at the top with a short synopsis? That way we don't have to wade through the whole thing to get to the "oh, and by the way, if you know about this already please disregard." I believe it would endear you to many. Thank you for your continuing support.
R.

boarstone
08-01-2008, 17:12
:eek: Thanks for the news/update on the slide on the AT. I have warned any of the NOBO/SOBO hikers that I am doing drops for.

KG4FAM
08-01-2008, 19:10
*The slide took everything off the
hillside, rocks, trees, dirt, everything down to the bedrock for about 100
vertical feet and maybe 30 feet wide.I was sitting on Avery Peak back in 2006 talking with one of the caretakers from Horn's Pond and he asked me about the fresh trail going down Gulf Hagas Mountain. He said that the way they made trails in Maine was to cut a path straight down, let it wash out to rocks and then fix it up with rock staircases. I don't know if he was joking, but it sure seems true sometimes. With his description of things it sounds like mother nature was just doing her part with some trail maintenance.

Kirby
08-01-2008, 20:43
who could have been in the area when it let go.:-?:eek:

Here are some hikers I think could have been in the vicinity when it happened:

Chiefdaddy
Bill
Jesse
Meltdown
Whitefish
Jukebox
Lil Mac

Kirby

Lone Wolf
08-01-2008, 20:56
a little slide. what is the big deal? bushwhack up/down around it. it's maine

KG4FAM
08-01-2008, 21:06
Here are some hikers I think could have been in the vicinity when it happened:

Chiefdaddy
Bill
Jesse
Meltdown
Whitefish
Jukebox
Lil Mac

KirbySOBO list:
Godzilla and McGyver
Muhammad Ilean/Jukebox and Ed
Jonathan
D-wreck
Bookworm and Mousetrap/Teapot/Soapmonster
Brown Toe and Muffin Man
The Vermont Mafia

Red Hat
08-04-2008, 15:54
This list of SOBOs possibly in the area has me concerned. These were my hiking buddies! I've been unable to reach them. Hope they are all okay. If anyone knows their whereabouts, please let me know. 33whiskey, have you heard from them?

High Life
08-05-2008, 14:52
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2723299381_0ef430a661_o.jpg

Skyline
08-05-2008, 15:05
I remember doing a SOBO slackpack in that section in 2000. Trail crews had a rope "handrail" strung on a steep section to assist hikers, as they dug earth (mud mostly) in prep for switchbacks and rock steps. It seemed like a very ambitious project, and I was grateful for that rope! It could have been a ski slope out of control without the rope!

It pains me to think some or all of that hard work may have slid down the mountain.

weary
08-05-2008, 18:34
I remember doing a SOBO slackpack in that section in 2000. Trail crews had a rope "handrail" strung on a steep section to assist hikers, as they dug earth (mud mostly) in prep for switchbacks and rock steps. It seemed like a very ambitious project, and I was grateful for that rope! It could have been a ski slope out of control without the rope!

It pains me to think some or all of that hard work may have slid down the mountain.
After years of effort with my two boys, attempting to section hike the AT in Maine with day, overnight, and weekend backpacks, we finished on Moody on a Memorial Day 20 plus years ago.

At that time there were no steps, no switch backs, nothing. Just a trail running through moss covering a granite ledge. I thought to myself. "this is a landslide waiting to happen."

A few years ago, others came to the same conclusion and attempted to pin the trail to the ledge. It was a good effort, but apparently not good enough.

Nothing much had changed as I rushed through in 1993, attempting to make Katahdin before snowfall. But I was hoping the new work would be a permanent solution. Apparently it wasn't. As they say, "you win some, and you lose some. I'm just glad the slide came when no one was around to get hurt.

Weary

warren doyle
08-05-2008, 22:48
Rt. 140 at the LT/AT crossing will be closed for quite some time since a beaver dam broke upsteam and washed out one lane of the highway in 2-3 spots a few days ago. The footbridge carrying the trail over the stream survived the surge.
Moody Mt. will go back to the even more challenging ascent/descent it was before they did all the trail work.
Let's leave the 'panic attacks' to the Ken and Barbie types on the Weather Channel.

Pedaling Fool
07-15-2010, 15:31
How's this section of trail now? Is New England still getting a lot of wet weather? I know it was really wet up there for some time.

weary
07-15-2010, 18:29
How's this section of trail now? Is New England still getting a lot of wet weather? I know it was really wet up there for some time.
We haven't had any weather extremes this year, aside from high temperatures. The area of the slide has been patched and the trail partially relocated. But trail maintainers tell me that the section is safe for hiking.

Weary

Migrating Bird
07-15-2010, 18:56
For what it is worth, I was SOBO a month ago and the slide was very tough due to loose sandy/gravel footing the pitch and blowdowns on the re-route. It was the toughest downhill stretch I encountered in Maine bar none! For SOBO's extreme caution is warranted as a piece of the section when I was on it went straight down. NOBO's should have an easier time going up. I mentioned this to all NOBO's met as far as south as Franconia Notch. I was standing above a large birch blowdown looking for the best way over or around the tree and while standing, I just slid down under the tree, it took quite some effort to get back up and over the tree.

Tinker
07-15-2010, 21:44
Hall and Moody mountains were one of my most memorable points in Maine (not for any good reasons). Straight up to the top, turn around to see the mountain you were just on behind you (and not that far away, btw), and go straight down, only to climb straight up again.
That's Maine :D.
Thanks for the update, Weary.