PDA

View Full Version : Four Season Tents

southernpine85
07-30-2008, 20:58
I'm planning a solo southbound thru hike leaving in early October 2010. Based on my research, I would like to get a four season tent due to the weather conditions along the trail during that time of year. I have a local hiking store with a wide variety of tents for rent, so I have a good chance to try out many different brands before I leave.

If you had to purchase a four season tent with a price tag of up to $500, which one would you purchase? I'm simply looking for recommendations. Also, I am thinking of one that will sleep two people - enough room for me and other gear. Weight isn't a big issue, because I know going in that four season tents will weigh more than a tarp tent or something similar.

Thank You

taildragger
07-30-2008, 21:06
I wouldn't take a four season tent, but if you're dead set on it check out the golite hex, or something similar

http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=SH6106

Egads
07-30-2008, 21:20
Many options for a winter tent. The Backpackinglight crowd seem to prefer the Jannu over the others listed

Hilleberg Jannu offers a good volume to weight ratio, but it is over your budget.

Hilleberg Unna fits your budget but is a solo tent

Bibler Ahwahnee is a nice tent, but it is over your budget too

Black Diamond Firstlight fits both your budget & is a four season 2 man tent

Just be aware the single wall tents have inherit condensation issues that you will need to deal with.

Tipi Walter
07-30-2008, 21:58
In the old days(1970s), every backpacking tent was considered four-season. Nowadays . . .

North Face used to make some dynamite four season tents, the Tuolumne, the Westwind, all fairly light. But now their four season tents are just too heavy.

I'd go with the Hilleberg Staika, a near-perfect tent for all conditions, especially for two people as it has two doors and two vestibules. It can stand up to some mean winds and snow. Here's a fotog of it during my most recent trip(July '08):

Egads
07-31-2008, 06:42
TW,

I left the Staika off my list because of the weight. But then again, I've been called an ultralight weenie:D

Egads

mudhead
07-31-2008, 06:43
You would do well to pick Tipi's brain during your planning. He likes that kind of weather.

rafe
07-31-2008, 07:08
How about the Stephenson Warmlite tents? (http://www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm))

I don't believe I've ever seen one up close and personal -- but supposedly they're favored by serious mountaineers, yadda yadda. Also, their catalog is amusing. :)

FamilyGuy
08-01-2008, 01:29
Do you want a solo shelter?

-if weight is your #1 concern, consider the Hilleberg Akto @ a smidge over 3 pounds.

-if static snow load is your #1 concern, consider the Hilleberg Soulo (although $25 over what you wanted to spend).

I have had my Akto through some hellacious snow conditions and it has performed amazingly.

If a two person tent is in the cards, the MH Spire is an exceptional tent and can often be found at a discount.

The Biblers and ID MK series are great shelters but are really for Mountaineering - they tend to be short (not sure how tall you are) and are single wall. The others I mentioned above are double walled and are better for condensation management in winter conditions (IMHO).

Nicksaari
08-01-2008, 09:34
ive never seen anyone with another, but a Mountiansmith tent, from the pack makers, engineered bombproof tents. less than two hundered smackers, its better if your on a budget. have set up in winter weather a a few times. withstood snow, ice, and battering wind atop cold mtn's bald summit here in central va. but what the f do i know?

taildragger
08-01-2008, 13:24
so, no one else is a fan of the hex? :(

FeO2
08-01-2008, 13:28
In the old days(1970s), every backpacking tent was considered four-season. Nowadays . . .

North Face used to make some dynamite four season tents, the Tuolumne, the Westwind, all fairly light. But now their four season tents are just too heavy.

I'd go with the Hilleberg Staika, a near-perfect tent for all conditions, especially for two people as it has two doors and two vestibules. It can stand up to some mean winds and snow. Here's a fotog of it during my most recent trip(July '08):

Hey Tipi,

I find that if I use a tent it works better to have the sleeping bag inside. I'll have to try hammocking without the hammock, does it work well? :D:D

Tipi Walter
08-01-2008, 13:40
Hey Tipi,

I find that if I use a tent it works better to have the sleeping bag inside. I'll have to try hammocking without the hammock, does it work well? :D:D

Actually, I only carry the tent for my dog, and you're right, I do sleep in a tree in my bag. It's called "hammockless hammocking", and is at the cutting edge of the current trends in modern backpacking, etc.

Berserker
08-01-2008, 14:15
I will echo the Hilleberg name as one brand of tents to consider. There are several 2 person options available, and you can search the net to find out more info on them. I myself have an Akto (solo tent). One of the somewhat unique features of the Hillebergs is that they are double walled tents where the inner and outer tents are connected via elastic loops. This allows for the entire tent to be pitched at one time. It is a really nice feature in nasty weather cause you don't get precipitation inside the tent. The Akto has also proven to be quite robust in nasty (really windy conditions with either rain or snow). On top of all that it only weighs a little over 3 lbs.

At any rate, like I said I am sold on the Hilleberg tents for four season/inclement weather usage. If I were to get a two person tent I would be looking at Hillebergs (I would probably be thinking hard about the Nallo).

NICKTHEGREEK
08-10-2008, 10:00
The MSR Fury is a renamed Moss tent continued and modified somewhat after MSR bought Moss/Walrus. I'm not suggesting it for 1 person but it is an excellent 2 person rig with a huge vestibule. The weight would be easy for 2 to carry. Most likely too much tent, but these guys will stand up to a load of redi-mix concrete.
http://www.moontrail.com/tents/msr_fury.html

When you get to 4 season or mountaineering tents the floor size suddenly shrinks and each person gets about 13-15 sq ft when most singles are 19-20 sq ft.

Egads
01-16-2009, 19:08
This is part 1 of a 2 part review (see post #18 for part 2)

Hilleberg Soulo
I recently took delivery of a Hilleberg Soulo (thanks Quoddy http://cache.backpackinglight.com/ba...8258_04256.jpg (http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1200008258_04256.jpg)) and tried it out in the backyard last night. The forecast was for a low between 11* and 18*, with wind gusts of 10-15 mph, and clear skies. I used two Ridgerest type pads and a WM Alpinlite 20* bag. I wore a long sleeve shirt, pants, and fleece hat. Needless to say, I was warm.

I woke up at 2:30 am and checked a few temperatures with my digital thermometer (accuracy +/- 0.2*)

The temperature inside the tent was 34.x deg
The temperature in the vestibule was 29.x deg
The temperature outside the tent on the ground was 25.x deg
The temperature outside at ~6 ft up was 20.x deg
The thermometer recorded a low of 17.4*.

The delta between inside the tent and the outside was quite impressive.

I did have some condensation inside the tent; and on my hat that froze before I'd walked 20 feet from the tent.

I wish there was some snow to try it's snow load abilities:D

I plan to hang in my HH UL BP with JRB quilt(s) / & bag tonight. I am hoping the temp drops below 18* so I can beat my personal low.

Feral Bill
01-16-2009, 21:30
I guess I'll ask. What experience do you have with extreme winter backpacking, as you are likely to meet in the Whites? Traversing the Presidential Range in November, solo, is not trivial. It's not even backpacking, but rather mountaineering.

Other than that section, a "four season" tent is not needed, in my opinion.

dradius
01-16-2009, 22:49
the kelty quartz are pretty decent and can be had fairly cheap.

Egads
01-17-2009, 08:36
This is part 2 of a 2 part review (see post #15 for part 1)

Hennessey
I set up my hammock in the dark. It took me at least twice as long to set up as Hilleberg Soulo. I used a HH UL BP, a MacCat standard tarp set up low and tight, JRB RMS underquilt, with a JRB nest under the RMS. I crossed the carabiners on the nest to cinch it up and eliminate air gaps. I used a Mont Bell UL SSDH #0 over me like a quilt. It lofted so much that it nearly touched the ridgeline. I wore the same clothes as the night before.

The weather forecast was similar to the night before, except lighter wind and low level clouds that were expected to dissipate before morning.

I slept warm. My sleep was much better quality, deeper and for longer durations between stirring. I really could have gone much lower with this set up. But, packing this much down would require over compressing or a much larger pack than I would use. My ULA Catalyst is 75 liter and could carry the down, but not much else.

The overnight low temp was 14.4*. Woo hoo, a new low hang by 4*. The temp inside the hammock at the ridgeline was 21.8*. I was surprised at the delta T of 7* between inside and outside the hammock. But this does not compare with the delta of the Hilleberg.

There is no argument from me that a properly set up hammock in most conditions is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in a tent. However, I'd take the Hilleberg over the Hennessy if my life was at stake in severe winter conditions.

Grampsb
01-17-2009, 08:42
How abot the Hilleberg Nallo. Over hisbudget, but looks like a nice tent.

buckwheat
01-17-2009, 09:12
TW,

I left the Staika off my list because of the weight. But then again, I've been called an ultralight weenie:D

Egads

At 8 pounds 3 ounces, it's no wonder you left it off your list. Unless you are threatened by feet of snow at night or gale force winds, there's no reason why this tent should be in your pack (that is, if you can even carry this sucker in your pack, which is debateable). This tent is useful for extreme mountaineers in the Alps or other European alpine mountain ranges.

It is overdesigned for a hiker in the lower 48 states and has no business being anywhere near the Applachian Trail, with all due respect to Tipi Walter, who swears by this tent and is the only person in the Continental United States to have ever packed one for more than 10 steps.

russb
01-17-2009, 11:34
This is part 2 of a 2 part review (see post #15 for part 1)

Hennessey
I set up my hammock in the dark. It tool me at least twice as long to set up as Hilleberg Soulo. I used a HH UL BP, a MacCat standard tarp set up low and tight, JRB RMS underquilt, with a JRB nest under the RMS. I crossed the carabiners on the nest to cinch it up and eliminate air gaps. I used a Mont Bell UL SSDH #0 over me like a quilt. It lofted so much that it nearly touched the ridgeline. I wore the same clothes as the night before.

The weather forecast was similar to the night before, except lighter wind and low level clouds that were expected to dissipate before morning.

I slept warm. My sleep was much better quality, deeper and for longer durations between stirring. I really could have gone much lower with this set up. But, packing this much down would require over compressing or a much larger pack than I would use. My ULA Catalyst is 75 liter and could carry the down, but not much else.

The overnight low temp was 14.4*. Woo hoo, a new low hang by 4*. The temp inside the hammock at the ridgeline was 21.8*. I was surprised at the delta T of 7* between inside and outside the hammock. But this does not compare with the delta of the Hilleberg.

There is no argument from me that a properly set up hammock in most conditions is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in a tent. However, I'd take the Hilleberg over the Hennessy if my life was at stake in severe winter conditions.

Very nice. I just spent a night in my Claytor Hammock and was very warm and comfortable. Temp was 4*F with 15-20mph gusts of wind.

I would agree with you that the hammock is much more comfortable than being on the ground. The Claytor is almost impossible to setup improperly and except for when I was in my teens, the ground has never been comfortable... bearable yes, but not comfortable.

Tinker
01-17-2009, 11:59
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1262791629059664855XQxwfC

Other than some condensation issues, it's a great tent. It's bombproof in high winds if staked securely. Heavy, wet snow needs to be knocked off as the slope of the roofline near the peak is shallow. As long as you're in it, no problem.
Btw, imo there's no such thing as a "freestanding" tent in severe weather. Stake or break.

Jim Adams
01-17-2009, 14:54
I would be tempted to use a sturdy 3 season tent and carry a warmer bag. You may save a pound and that combo would probably be more useful for the rest of the hike.

geek