PDA

View Full Version : Hooray, new gear day!!

longneck
07-30-2008, 22:19
Okay, I don't buy new gear often, so when I do, it's always fun.

Got a MSR Pocket Rocket stove, and, wow, why didn't I switch to cartridges earlier? Been using a Whisperlite for a long time, and I've gotten really good at the priming and pre-heat thing. So wasn't I surprised when I just screwed the Pocket Rocket on the cartridge, lit a match, turned the knob, and shazzam, beautiful blue flame, at a third of the weight!

I'm really looking forward to making oatmeal tomorrow morning.

(am I the only one who uses his camp stove at home sometimes, just for fun?)

And then, I decided to join the trail runner revolution, got a pair of Salomon XT Wings. Super comfy, but I'll reserve judgment until I get out on the trail.

Only drawback of the trail runners, IMHO, is they don't look as cool and invincible as my bada$$ full leather boots. Then again, they weigh half as much. And, well, looks don't count for a whole lot on the trail, do they? :)

Hooray for new gear!

Passionphish
07-30-2008, 22:49
You are certainly NOT ALONE in using your camping stove at home. I will use mine two or three times in the days leading up to a trip. But I'm a tinkerer!

Summit
07-30-2008, 22:55
Two good moves. I have never regretted going to cartridge cooking (JetBoil). If you got a good fit on your Salomons, you'll love the difference in hiking in them. My full-leather boots days are long gone and will never return. People who insist on still using them don't know what they are unnecessarily enduring. ;)

River Runner
07-30-2008, 23:05
Enjoy the new gear.

I don't use my canister stove at home because the fuel is just too darn expensive (and to hard to replace for me since the nearest outfitter is about an hour away).

Then again, I don't use it on the trail anymore since I've gone to alcohol or Esbit...

<grin>

Alligator
07-30-2008, 23:09
I've really enjoyed the quick lacing system on my Salomons. I'm not sure if it is standard or not for all their shoes, but I have trail runners and winter boots that have it.

longneck
07-31-2008, 08:58
I've really enjoyed the quick lacing system on my Salomons. I'm not sure if it is standard or not for all their shoes, but I have trail runners and winter boots that have it.

Yeah, those quick laces are pretty awesome. Anybody ever had durability problems with them?

Kerosene
07-31-2008, 11:04
I've probably seen a half-dozen comments about durability issues with Salomons in the past, but have no personal experience and it's been a few years since the last review I read. I found some dated reviews for Salomon footwear at BackpackGearTest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/mfr_reviews/Salomon). Note that most people need to replace their trail runners every 300-600 miles.

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2008, 12:00
Longneck, if you can't sell the old stove - donate it to the boyscouts they will still use it for the backpacking & major trips, they just cannot use it on overnighters. Only the bigger troops will accept it.

partinj
07-31-2008, 12:28
Hey River Runner if you have a walmart neat you you can get the fuel their.

Blissful
07-31-2008, 13:04
The pocket rocket is a great little stove. Except in wind as it sucks up the fuel. But we used it on our entire hike last year.

Used Salomon GTX mid canyon boots for the first part of my hike, mine did well but my hubby's fell apart. But now I wear Brooks trail runners.

jesse
07-31-2008, 13:55
I don't burn my backpacking cannisters at home, because of the expense, I do cook stuff in my dutch oven from time to time, practicing for trips with the Scouts.

X-LinkedHiker
07-31-2008, 15:28
I have been using my Jetboil to make Ramen Noodles and water for tea at my apartment since I got the thing basically.