PDA

View Full Version : Maine's Appalachian Trail

Dogkilla
07-31-2008, 02:47
Well, my friend (MJKwote) and I are planning to walk the A.T. starting in Maine but were not exactly sure where we should be going to locate the beginning of the trail. Were trying to find the nearest city or town to the beginning of the trail, because we are trying schedule tickets for a Grey hound bus.

We were going to be going to Springer Mountain but we decided to go north to south instead. Please tell us the name of the town where the trail starts so we understand where we should be shooting to go twords.

thanks
dogkilla

Doc
07-31-2008, 05:54
You did not say if you were going north or south. If you plan to head south then you will need to get to Bangor and then Medway. A taxi can then take you into Baxter State Park. From your question it seems clear that a little more information would be very helpful to you. I would strongly suggest that you obtain one of the two major guidebooks for the trail. Also, don't underestimate the challenge of the trail in Maine. Last night at a MATC meeting I learned that part of the trail on Moody Mt. has been covered by a landslide. There will be some mud issues as well as New England has recently had some heavy rain storms. Good luck with your adventure.

Doc

MJKwote
07-31-2008, 06:20
thanks Doc... we are going to be going North to South... we are pretty novice so we do have some guidebooks.. lands slides.. great .... LOL ... thanks for the cities! The greyhound tickets are pretty dam expensive haha

Doughnut
07-31-2008, 06:20
Appalachian Trail Hostel in Milliknocket, ME should probably be your first destination. they have a thru-hiker's service which includes picking you up in Medway, a room for the night, breakfast and shuttle to Baxter State Park - that's where you'll find Mount Katadin (HINT: Look UP; there she is) which is the Northern terminus of the Appalachian trail.

Also, depending on when you are going, you may wish to contact JohnnyQuest on this site, I believe he is planning to drive up this month.

DoughNut

rafe
07-31-2008, 06:52
We were going to be going to Springer Mountain but we decided to go north to south instead. Please tell us the name of the town where the trail starts so we understand where we should be shooting to go twords.

I suggest you start with either the ATC's website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) or maybe ALDHA's site (www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org/)) or a visit to your local library or bookstore.

The town you're looking for is Millinocket, Maine, and more specifically, Baxter State Park (some 20-30 miles north of town) and more specifically, the summit of Mt. Katahdin, located in Baxter State Park.

This is all pretty much "the middle of nowhere" but the ALDHA guides (free download, at link above) will tell you how to get there. I believe the nearest "big town" is probably Bangor, Maine.

Since you mention being novices, I might add that walking the AT from north to south may not be your best choice. That option is more suitable for those with a bit of backpacking and hiking experience. Specifically: Katahdin itself is a fairly ambitious climb, and there is essentially no resupply available in the first 100 miles or so of the AT heading south from Baxter State Park. It's not terribly hard hiking, but there's little room for failure, either, in that 100-mile stretch. Southern Maine and New Hampshire have the toughest terrain you'll find anywhere on the AT.

emerald
07-31-2008, 07:43
The best places to begin in your search for information about the A.T. are ATC's and ALDHA's websites, the links for which were provided earlier. See ATC's Hike the Trail and download the files for The Online Companion.

You will also want to download a copy of NPS's A.T. map (http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/upload/APPA%20Map.pdf). Maine will appear at the top. Zoom in on any portion where you require more detail.

The best source of information about A.T. books is Books for Hikers (http://www.booksforhikers.com/appalachian-trail/).

fiddlehead
07-31-2008, 08:14
The best places to begin in your search for information about the A.T. are ATC's and ALDHA's websites, the links for which were provided earlier. See ATC's Hike the Trail and download the files for The Online Companion.

You will also want to download a copy of NPS's A.T. map (http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/upload/APPA%20Map.pdf). Maine will appear at the top. Zoom in on any portion where you require more detail.

The best source of information about A.T. books is Books for Hikers (http://www.booksforhikers.com/appalachian-trail/).

Sorry to disagree with you Shades of Gray, but I believe the best source of info about the AT is whiteblaze.net

Use the search feature for information on just about anything you can imagine dealing with on your hike. SOBO (Southbound) is a great way to go IMO!

Lone Wolf
07-31-2008, 08:16
fiddlehead is correct

rafe
07-31-2008, 08:21
Sorry to disagree with you Shades of Gray, but I believe the best source of info about the AT is whiteblaze.net

Absolutely. You'll soon learn that shelters suck, hiking poles are for sissies, and it's perfectly safe to ford the Kennebec (early in the morning, of course!) or drink untreated water from streams, but you're a sheeple if you don't pack heat. A veritable gold mine of timeless hiking wisdom.

DavidNH
07-31-2008, 09:25
Absolutely. You'll soon learn that shelters suck, hiking poles are for sissies, and it's perfectly safe to ford the Kennebec (early in the morning, of course!) or drink untreated water from streams, but you're a sheeple if you don't pack heat. A veritable gold mine of timeless hiking wisdom.

Terrapin.. you post here is an absolute classic. I got a good chuckle out of it. Sadly though, there is a large grain of truth to what you say.

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
07-31-2008, 09:27
yup. he's a great teacher. every thing he's mentioned, i do

HikerRanky
07-31-2008, 10:16
Since it seems that people want to discuss the condition of the trail, particularly in Maine, I have moved those posts over to a new thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39707

Randy

Pedaling Fool
07-31-2008, 11:00
Well, my friend (MJKwote) and I are planning to walk the A.T. starting in Maine but were not exactly sure where we should be going to locate the beginning of the trail. Were trying to find the nearest city or town to the beginning of the trail, because we are trying schedule tickets for a Grey hound bus.

thanks
dogkilla
As has already been mentioned, good info here and on ATCs website. For good info here go to the Home page and look at the articles section, really good info in there. When do you'll plan to start? Do you got your maps and guidebook yet?

shoe
07-31-2008, 11:11

and tarptents are the only way to go.
that is if you choose to forgo the hammock.
:)

Sly
07-31-2008, 11:13

Terrapin.. you post here is an absolute classic. I got a good chuckle out of it. Sadly though, there is a large grain of truth to what you say.

DavidNH

yup. he's a great teacher. every thing he's mentioned, i do

LOL... funny how that works.

Kirby
07-31-2008, 14:36
Stay at the AT lodge in Millinockett, they have a SOBO deal going on, check out their website. Also, if you are planning to stay at Abol Bridge, stay the the state campsite across the street from the commercial one, it's a lot nice IMO.

Kirby

the goat
07-31-2008, 15:27
Stay at the AT lodge in Millinockett, they have a SOBO deal going on, check out their website. Also, if you are planning to stay at Abol Bridge, stay the the state campsite across the street from the commercial one, it's a lot nice IMO.

Kirby

or just walk 3 miles south to beaver brook. plenty of good camping there.

emerald
07-31-2008, 15:29
The best places to begin your search for information about the A.T. are ATC's and ALDHA's websites ...

Use the search feature for information on just about anything you can imagine dealing with on your hike.

I'll still stick by what I stated earlier. I'd like to think I didn't waste my time composing what now totals almost 3000 posts, but ATC's Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715465/k.9731/Hike_The_Trail.htm) is a better place to begin than here. More than a few visitors to this site have told me they had no idea where to begin and drowned in information not knowing which was any good.

More than once I sent a top 10 list of A.T. links by PM or email. I don't remember all of them now, but I believe 4 of the top 5 links have been posted. I tailored some links for each individual and always included a journal from trailjournals.com selected for its recipient.

Novices will get up to speed faster with my approach and end up with a more balanced perspective. They can then return here for what they can't find there by reading recommended articles and asking questions.

So what is the best WhiteBlaze.net has to offer to get newbies started? I challenge readers to answer my question and link it.

Maybe I just came up with an idea for a new thread? If anyone thinks so, start it and give it a good title or it will be buried so deep no one will ever find it, and, God forbid, don't put it in the General forum.

jesse
07-31-2008, 16:53
Are you going this year, or in 09?

MJKwote
07-31-2008, 17:02
tomoro hehehe

Kirby
07-31-2008, 20:27
or just walk 3 miles south to beaver brook. plenty of good camping there.

I think you mean Hurd Brook Lean To.

Kirby

the goat
08-01-2008, 09:47
I think you mean Hurd Brook Lean To.

Kirby

indeed, thanks kirby.

(beaver brook is on moosilauke, considerably further than 3 miles south.):D