PDA

View Full Version : Hiker in Linville Gorge with broken legs crawls for 20 hours, rescued

wilconow
07-31-2008, 08:02
http://hikerhell.blogspot.com/2008/07/hiker-with-broken-legs-crawls-for-20.html

jersey joe
07-31-2008, 08:07
This is a good arguement for carrying a strong pain killer while hiking(just in case).

sheepdog
07-31-2008, 08:32
You got to admire the guy for refusing to quit and for his cool thinking in a crisis (putting his sandals on his knees).

Tipi Walter
07-31-2008, 08:56
I had a good friend that went on a college backpacking trip into the Gorge back in 1983 and thru a series of mishaps he suffered a brain aneurysm and it took over 100 people 7-9 hours to carry him out. The leader of the group had to perform mouth-to-mouth for 7 hours as my friend was pull up the mountain.

berninbush
07-31-2008, 09:10
Forgive a stupid question, but why didn't one of those 100 people run ahead and phone for help and get a helicopter to air-lift him out, or at least drop in some medical equipment? Or at least send some paramedics down the trail to meet them?

I'm glad the guy with the broken legs was tough enough to survive.

jesse
07-31-2008, 10:22
Good ending to a story that could have easily gone the other way. I question the guy's judgment on taking that trip alone.

See Bee
07-31-2008, 10:33
Wow.

As far as questioning the guy's judgement for taking the trip alone...Is this a fair question?

Otherwise, you could question any hiker's judgment for hiking alone.

Plodderman
07-31-2008, 10:37
Glad it worked out could of been tragic. Alawys concerns with hiking alone.

Phreak
07-31-2008, 16:40
Incredible story!

TOW
07-31-2008, 16:48
Man that guy had to be going thru some excrutiating pain. I know pain, I mean I have been dealing with constant pain now for the last month in my left leg and foot with it sometimes throbbing. But you know what? I got to keep on walking because no one is going to save me but me and no one is going to pay the bills but me.

That story really encouraged me and I think that young man ought to be mighty proud of himself.

oops56
07-31-2008, 17:37
You can't say it was right or wrong to hike alone.But i will say when leave base camp to go site seeing take a small pack with you your survival gear.You all have one on you pants belt or your big pants pocket if you should lose your back pack down over them cliffs oops.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-31-2008, 17:57
That's one hardcase man. Wonder what it would take for that guy to call in a dustoff?

Tipi Walter
07-31-2008, 18:21
I'd like to know exactly what he was doing when he fell. Piece it together, step by step.

Wilson
07-31-2008, 18:57
Good ending to a story that could have easily gone the other way. I question the guy's judgment on taking that trip alone.
Been in there many times alone, It's not a dangerous place if you use common sense.

Wilson
07-31-2008, 19:04
I'd like to know exactly what he was doing when he fell. Piece it together, step by step.
The falls in the picture are relatively close to the visitor center and get a lot of dayhiker use.

If he'd got injured midways or further down the river, he'd been in a real world of hurt.
I don't know about now, but that used to be a little used area.

Tipi Walter
07-31-2008, 19:11
When I was teaching clarinet at Appalachian State in 1981, one of my students walked in with a limp and she told me she was visiting the Gorge several years before and stood at the top of the falls and somehow slipped and got swept away in the water all the way to the bottom. She was rescued and obviously survived but said many of her bones were broken, something like two dozen. Now, if I could just remember her name . . .

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2008, 20:48
I had a good friend that went on a college backpacking trip into the Gorge back in 1983 and thru a series of mishaps he suffered a brain aneurysm and it took over 100 people 7-9 hours to carry him out. The leader of the group had to perform mouth-to-mouth for 7 hours as my friend was pull up the mountain.
I honestly don't believe that mouth-to-mouth was necessary for seven hours and I also believe that if it were necessary for seven hours that it wouldn't be successful for seven hours under ideal circumstances much less while 100 people were carrying him up a mountain. I think he is pulling your leg.

Tipi Walter
07-31-2008, 23:43
I honestly don't believe that mouth-to-mouth was necessary for seven hours and I also believe that if it were necessary for seven hours that it wouldn't be successful for seven hours under ideal circumstances much less while 100 people were carrying him up a mountain. I think he is pulling your leg.

I'm sure the people involved do not want to be mentioned on the world wide web, but he stayed in a coma for 8 months and then passed away. The leader of the college outing did indeed breathe for him those 7 hours as he was being pulled out of the gorge.

Sly
08-01-2008, 00:15
Forgive a stupid question, but why didn't one of those 100 people run ahead and phone for help and get a helicopter to air-lift him out, or at least drop in some medical equipment? Or at least send some paramedics down the trail to meet them?

Maybe you need to read it again. There were no 100 people and they did have a copter once he was found.

The same rescue, if it were done by land, would have taken about 100 people 8-10 hours.

I hike a lot solo and in much more remote places than Linville Gorge. Part of the allure of being in the wilderness is the potential danger.

ed bell
08-01-2008, 01:10
I'm sure the people involved do not want to be mentioned on the world wide web, but he stayed in a coma for 8 months and then passed away. The leader of the college outing did indeed breathe for him those 7 hours as he was being pulled out of the gorge.
A tragic story and reminder about the possibility of complications and danger when heading out to the woods. I have been wanting to check out Linville Gorge. From everything I have seen on maps, in guidebooks and through accounts, its not a place to be taken lightly.

Heater
08-01-2008, 01:37
Maybe you need to read it again. There were no 100 people and they did have a copter once he was found.

I think BerninBush was responding to Tipi's post...

Sly
08-01-2008, 01:56
I think BerninBush was responding to Tipi's post...

Oops, missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. (((burningbush))

SurferNerd
08-01-2008, 13:15
Ladies and Gentleman, this is the reason for bringing a SPOT on the AT, and is why I will have one with me. If something happens, one button and SAR will be looking for me.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2008, 13:22
I like what Doug Peacock, an ex-Green Beret medic and Vietnam veteran and grizzly expert, said in his book, Grizzly Years: "My route across these basins and ranges follows no jeep trails but crosses valleys and passes on faint game trails no human has set foot on for centuries. Each year, I strike out on a different course. If I break a leg, I will be stuck. I have a signal mirror with which I might flash a passing aircraft, though it could be weeks before one flew by close enough to signal. I seldom tell anyone about my intended routes because I do not care to be rescued."(page 362).

Sly
08-01-2008, 14:47
Ladies and Gentleman, this is the reason for bringing a SPOT on the AT, and is why I will have one with me. If something happens, one button and SAR will be looking for me.

That's cool too but not for everybody. I don't like the idea of others having to risk injury saving my butt in a place I choose to be. If it happens though, I'm sure I'll be eternally grateful.

wilconow
08-01-2008, 15:21

there will be very few times on the AT when folks will not be right around you, or nearby

ncmtns
08-01-2008, 17:20
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880731122

wilconow
08-01-2008, 17:49
Can a mod please combine this post with this thread?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39703

Thanks

NICKTHEGREEK
08-01-2008, 17:56
When did you graduate from medical school?

gghiker
08-01-2008, 19:30
I've always hiked alone (including the Gorge. Tough haul back through the mud) If I had someone with me, it would defeat the purpose.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2008, 19:41
I've always hiked alone (including the Gorge. Tough haul back through the mud) If I had someone with me, it would defeat the purpose.

I hear that. Nothing worse than being out on a trip with endless chitchat. Soloing is pretty much the only way to go.

GrouchoMark
08-01-2008, 21:30
I am glad that the hiker was rescued and hope everything will be okay. I have been in Linville Gorge many times by myself. It is one of the most challenging and exiting places in North carolina. Anyone who has stood on top of Table Rock in winter with a view that makes it seem like one is on top of the world will never forget it. The northern end of the gorge which includes the falls is the most heavily used. The south end which includes Shortoff Mountain is the rougher, least accessible and least used part of the gorge. My advice to anyone hiking alone is always let someone know where you are going, and exactly what part of the gorge you will be visiting. This is especially important in Linville gorge, as it is a large area. Be careful, but don't avoid a trip to the gorge as it is a great place for hiking.

gghiker
08-01-2008, 21:49
I am glad that the hiker was rescued and hope everything will be okay. I have been in Linville Gorge many times by myself. It is one of the most challenging and exiting places in North carolina. Anyone who has stood on top of Table Rock in winter with a view that makes it seem like one is on top of the world will never forget it. The northern end of the gorge which includes the falls is the most heavily used. The south end which includes Shortoff Mountain is the rougher, least accessible and least used part of the gorge. My advice to anyone hiking alone is always let someone know where you are going, and exactly what part of the gorge you will be visiting. This is especially important in Linville gorge, as it is a large area. Be careful, but don't avoid a trip to the gorge as it is a great place for hiking.
If you're into bouldering with a bottomless chasm below, you can go as far as your nerves will allow. Great ridge for thrillseekers. From Sep '07

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/275539054_fab38601b1.jpg