PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my Hennessy

Memphis
07-31-2008, 15:54
Long time lurker, recent registrant and very new poster says hello to you all. This place is a great resource and if possible I’d like to avail myself of the collective wisdom of the forum in selecting the right Hennessy model, best fly size, tree huggers etc.

I camp with the boy scouts once a month (always near trees) and do some weekend backpacking in the cool months on pretty flat trails near Memphis. Nothing fancy yet on the backpacking but you all have really inspired me, so a friend and I are making plans for Erwin to 19E later In October of this year. That and the fact I never sleep very well in a tent (toss and turn like crazy, hips hurt, knees hurt) have helped me decide to give the Hennessy a try. I’m pretty sure I will like it.

I’m 6 feet ½ inch, 195 pounds and forty-something. My target weight is 185 and I should be there in a few weeks.

Any help you can give me on the best model for a weekend backpacker / camper including possible substitutions for a different fly size and tree huggers would be great. I’m not loaded with cash but I’d rather spend a little extra for a good model than try to cut a corner if it is worth it.

Thanks for the inspiration and the wisdom of the forum!
You guys have lightened my backpack weight with good ideas and advice. :D

Strategic
07-31-2008, 17:04
Well, I can hardly refuse to help a Memphis boy, being a born-and-bred one myself.:D

I'm a HH user, with a largely stock HH Hyperlight Backpacker. It's very good for me at 5'9" 165lbs, but you hit right at it's height limit (6') though well within its weight limit. I'd bet that you'll find it to be just fine, but you never know. The Ultralight Backpacker has the same dimensions, the main difference being the body fabric, which is heavier on the Ultralight. If you decide that you need the room to stretch out, then you'll have to move up to the Ultralight Explorer, which is built for taller people.

The real choice between these comes down to weight and room. The Explorer is definitely bigger on the inside, but that doesn't mean the two Backpackers are small for most. Weight is something else; I see weight savings as the second best reason (besides comfort) for carrying one, but here the differences are more pronounced. The Hyperlight BP is only 25oz (that's the weight of mine, with stakes, lines, snakeskins and all the rest.) while the Ultralight BP is 31oz and the Explorer is 39oz. While it may not seem like much, it counts.

For the hanging and fly questions, these are the constant debates in hanging circles. If you nip on over to Hammockforums.com you'll find a long-running series of threads about both topics. In general, this is what I've found to be true; it's a waste of time to worry too much about this until you've had some experience with hanging. With tree huggers, for instance, a lot of people find that this is a very easy hang method and never change it (I haven't yet, but I'm good with lashing.) Others opt for one of the several strap systems and retrofit the HH; the most popular of these is a collection of rings or fittings that work on the double-ring principle with long webbing straps clipped or wrapped around the tree and the other end used to pull tight through the ring system. Flys get a bit more consensus, with cat-cut hex flys now being the replacement fly of choice (though again, I haven't bother to replace mine yet, but probably will.)

The critical question in a hammock is underside insulation. The split between the advocates of pads vs. those of underquilts is a deep divide that shall never be bridged.;) But this is really just a matter of your sleep style. I'm an underquilt fan because I've never been good at keeping the pad under me in a hammock and like the unrestricted feel of the hammock body directly under me. Others swear by their pads and wouldn't get rid of them for the world (and a popular option with pads is DAMs like the MaxThermo and Big Agnes pads, which give excellent insulation, though closed cell is probably more widely used.)

I'd say get an HH now while the weather is nice and hot so you can see whether you like it in general, then look next for your insulation system, then worry about flys and hanging methods. Believe me, you'll have plenty of fun but plenty to do just with the stock set-up at first.

Good hanging!

Rain Man
07-31-2008, 17:20
I have a HH A-sym Ultra-light. I'm a tad over the stated weight limit, but make sure not to bounce around in it a lot to generate extra "dynamic weight." I am 5' 9" and don't find it too short for me. Others like extra length, though.

One recommendation I would make. Get your HH modified with after-market zippers. I like mine a lot more since I did that. There are a couple of threads on here about that. 2Questions' wife does the mods wonderfully. I recommend her work.

Rain:sunMan

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 18:40
Welcome Memphis, enjoy your hammock adventures, you'll love it!

Memphis
07-31-2008, 19:04
Thank you Strategic for the great reply! I sleep kind of bunched up as opposed to flat out so perhaps I could get away with a 6 foot hammock. I'll think about that. Anyway that was a very helpful reply! You are right in that once I get into the hammock scene I'll probably experiment with insulation & hanging. I don't want to get wet and I have read about the bigger fly on here so that seems like money well spent since you have extra room to cook & relax under the fly.

Rainman, thanks for your reply too. I've read alot of your good stuff on the forums. What can I say, I'm a fan. Which of the 2Q zipper modification did you get?

Thanks for the kind word Bulldawg. :) I'm gonna check out your journals after I post this.

Another question... can you edit posts on this forum, I'm a poor typist.

I can't wait to get my hands on a hammock and set it up in my backyard.

Bulldawg
07-31-2008, 19:13
You have to be a donating member to edit.

daibutsu
07-31-2008, 19:49
Lot's of us start with a Hennessy, then discover better hammocks. I was put off by some quality issues and the fact that most are made in China and Hennessy doesn't readily, if at all, disclose it.

QuebecRun
08-01-2008, 10:47
I got Mod #2 by 2Questions. One long zipper and 1/2 zipper on other side. This is great modification and I have stopped looking for other hammocks to use. It made my HH the perfect year round hammock for me. Totally worth price.

wallace
08-01-2008, 13:14
The stock fly that comes with the UL backpacker is only just adequate. My friend just purchased a HH direct from Hennesey and they swapped the stock fly out for their hex fly which appears to have more coverage. No personal experience with this though. It has been discussed at the hammock forum though.

QuebecRun
08-01-2008, 14:08
Wallace just gave you good advice. Ask HH to swap out for bigger tarp.

Rain Man
08-01-2008, 16:36
Rainman, thanks for your reply too. I've read alot of your good stuff on the forums. What can I say, I'm a fan. Which of the 2Q zipper modification did you get?

Hey Memphis. Nashville here. :) Thanks for the kind words.

I got the full zipper on one side and the half zipper on the other. It makes the HH so much more flexible and usable in "real life."

My youngest goes to U of M, so I come down to Memphis several times a year. If you ever want to put together a little WB dinner outing when I'm down, I'm game! My youngest just did two section hikes on the AT with me this summer. Photos of last one are in my gallery here.

As far as the bigger tarp, that's personal preference. She slept in my HH in a big thunderstorm our last night out and didn't get a bit wet. She said she slept like a baby, and I don't think she meant waking up and crying every hour, either! LOL

By the way, there is a Rainman here on WB, but he's not me. I'm Rain Man. Sorry for the confusion.

Rain:sunMan

Strategic
08-02-2008, 21:26
Glad I could help.

I'm not down Memphis way much, usually only once or twice a year (I still have family down there.) Unfortunately, that's about all I get time for.

By the way, a good AT section you picked to start. Though do train up, as there are some good climbs.