PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap Campsites

halibut15
03-02-2004, 11:15
Does anyone know of any good campsites on the Dicks Creek Gap/Unicoi Gap section in GA? I know of Addis Gap, the Cheese Factory, and the shelters along the way, but if anyone knows of any others, please let me know. Thanks!

Ankle Bone
03-02-2004, 11:21
We camped at Steeltrap Gap last year.It's about 1/2 way between Unicoi and Dicks. There is a good campsite on one side of the gap, and a spring on the other. The spring is a walk down the hill, but I would guess no more than 300-400 yards.

fatmatt
01-05-2005, 00:16
Its only about 5 miles from Unicoi Gap, but the Tray Mountain shelter has a lot of nice sites and great views. Also, we did not see the cheese factory, does anyone have any pics of it?

papa john
01-05-2005, 09:11
If you start early enough you can do that in one day! We started around 9:30 in March a few years ago and made it to a campsite just above Dick's Creek Gap. Had we started out earlier we would have made it easily. I can't remember the name of the spot but it is just before you start the long downhill hike. There is water just below that right on the trail.

PJ

Lone Wolf
01-05-2005, 09:16
There's Sassafras Gap with water about 4.5 miles north of Tray Mtn. Shelter.

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 09:58
Also, we did not see the cheese factory, does anyone have any pics of it?

There is no cheese factory. There is the former site of one a mile or two south of Tray Mtn. There is a small clearing with a stream running to the west (left if you are NOBO) of the trail. I ate dinner there and tented on top of Tray.

Youngblood
01-05-2005, 13:32
There's Sassafras Gap with water about 4.5 miles north of Tray Mtn. Shelter.

There is also Steeltrap Gap that is 1.7 miles north of Tray Mtn Shelter. The older guides listed it with water but the newer ones don't. I found water down the sidetrail to the east the one time I camped there.

There is a pretty sweet spot on Rocky Mountain that is 1.3 miles north of Unicoi Gap but you need to haul water with you, it's not to bad if you are nobo as there is a stream 0.7 miles south that the trail crosses.

There is also a small campsite near a spring a mile or so south of Dicks Creek Gap.