PDA

View Full Version : First 20 Miler

Homer&Marje
08-01-2008, 07:42
So I am finally back in good Hiking shape after VA in march MA in may and NH in July, I did approximately 100 miles in those 3 hikes and 10 total days of hiking. 2 of those days (by myself) were 14 mi days in the berkshires by myself with about a 21 lb pack. I would love to hit my first 20 mile day hike before the end of the summer, anyone have suggestions for a good one in MA?

rafe
08-01-2008, 07:50
So I am finally back in good Hiking shape after VA in march MA in may and NH in July, I did approximately 100 miles in those 3 hikes and 10 total days of hiking. 2 of those days (by myself) were 14 mi days in the berkshires by myself with about a 21 lb pack. I would love to hit my first 20 mile day hike before the end of the summer, anyone have suggestions for a good one in MA?

I did 22 or 23 miles on my last section hike of the MA Mid-State trail last summer. And that was with a 22 or 23 lb. pack on my back. I'd intended it as a 2-day hike with an overnight, and ended up walking it in a day. This was the southernmost section, from Rte. 20 down to the RI/MA/CT border. It was probably 70% road walking. The last 6 or 7 miles were in woods, but no hills.

CrumbSnatcher
08-01-2008, 08:00
upper goose pond to dalton,a easy fast 20.6 miler

rafe
08-01-2008, 08:06

Agreed, it's a very easy stretch. I also somehow managed a day hike (sobo) with full pack into Dalton, from some stealth site on the north slope of Greylock. Another case where a planned 2-day hike was compressed into 1.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2008, 08:10
In general, any 20 mile segment between Cheshire and Jug End Rd. can be hiked in one day. The only area where I recalled being slowed down was some rugged footing about 3-5 miles north of Rt. 7.

Homer&Marje
08-01-2008, 09:12

I just hiked in may from goose pond rd to cheshire, so I might want to look for a different section, but that is a great hike.. did the first 14 miles the first day then a 9 miler from october mtn to kay wood shelter, then from there to cheshire another 14 miles... I like the idea of going from rt 20 sobo to the border, are we talking wilderness rds terrapin or paved? I'd prefer all trail theres enough pavement in my driveway:D

rafe
08-01-2008, 09:30
I just hiked in may from goose pond rd to cheshire, so I might want to look for a different section, but that is a great hike.. did the first 14 miles the first day then a 9 miler from october mtn to kay wood shelter, then from there to cheshire another 14 miles... I like the idea of going from rt 20 sobo to the border, are we talking wilderness rds terrapin or paved? I'd prefer all trail theres enough pavement in my driveway:D

Probably 50% paved roads. Started out with a few miles under a powerline cut.. in the afternoon, country roads through fields, past a dairy stand (ice cream!) some deeply rutted dirt/rock roads through woods and finally back into a proper woods trail -- a state forest, I think. The MA MidState is a hodge-podge. I saw very few other hikers on it.

Homer&Marje
08-01-2008, 09:40
Well, I might stick with my AT guidebook and just pick 20 miles and do it... maybe I can find a shopping mall for Marje to go to for the day so she doesn't have to drive too far to pick my stinky sore self up:-?

Blissful
08-01-2008, 14:16
Too bad you're not down here, SNP has great terrain for it. :)

But take it easy, for some reason several of hikers fell around the jug end rd area (me also) last year. And I fell twice in MA - bruised up my arm badly on the first and then had an ankle sprain requiring 2 weeks off the trail No 20 miler is worth that.

A-Train
08-01-2008, 14:21
Anywhere in Mass is a good, easy place for a 20. With the exception of Greylock, but in thru-hiker shape a 20+ over it is no biggie. The speed will keep you from thinking about the bugs!

Homer&Marje
08-01-2008, 16:49
I think I have a plan... Going to dip down into Connecticut and start is Salisbury at RT 44 and hike nobo to Shays Rebellion monument in South Egremont MA. Puts me at 20.3 miles and road access on both sides. Now to check on water. (Although i'm sure it wont be a problem as long as i can fill up my 70 oz camelback once or twice.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2008, 21:44
I think I have a plan... Going to dip down into Connecticut and start is Salisbury at RT 44 and hike nobo to Shays Rebellion monument in South Egremont MA. Puts me at 20.3 miles and road access on both sides. Now to check on water. (Although i'm sure it wont be a problem as long as i can fill up my 70 oz camelback once or twice.

You have more up-and-down on that stretch but I don't think it's that difficult. I found descending the north side of Bear Mountain into Sages Ravine rather tricky but I did it in snow (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=59528). I've heard other hikers say the same thing about that descent. But the hike out of Sages to Race Mountain is nice - enjoy it. Race Mountain isn't as high as Mt. Everett but it's nicer on top.

Homer&Marje
08-01-2008, 23:36
I looked at the up and down extensively, but then again I just did all three bonds in NH so if it's less than that I'm hoping I will be ready for it. I'll bring the Frogg Toggs in case I want to sleep under a tree overnight and finish in the morning:D, no I'll finish half dead or alive

Undershaft
08-02-2008, 11:05
You shouldn't have a problem with water as long as you're willing to carry the weight. Lots of sources, but I wouldn't be surprised if several are dry right now. Don't count on the springs at Laural Ridge campsite and Hemlocks Lean-to. They were both very low at this time last year. Sages Ravine should have plenty of water flowing through it. Have fun, this section of trail is a great one!

Homer&Marje
08-02-2008, 11:19
Thank you for that info... those were two of the options I was looking at too that's kinda weird...