PDA

View Full Version : How did you commemorate your completed hike?

RememberYourZen
08-01-2008, 08:50
When you completed your thru-hike/section hike to finish the app. trail, how did you commemorate it? Big dinner? hour-long shower? tattoos? lots of beer?

hikermom2
08-01-2008, 09:00
All of those sound like good ideas for just a regular town stop.

RememberYourZen
08-01-2008, 09:03
All of those sound like good ideas for just a regular town stop.

Fine, a TWO-hour long shower?:cool:

Nicksaari
08-01-2008, 09:20
share an anecdote about it.
participate in trail magic. be a trail angel if you live within close proximity to the trail.
donate to this site or some type of philanthropic organization having to do w the trial.
do trail maintenance in that big camp thing they do every summer. great way to meet girls. (personal experience)
hike the trail once a year every year to commemorate your journey.
give a hiker a ride into town, tell him you're a (_______) year thru hiker.
or just keep it to yourself until someone mentions or asks. have a wonderful day
and last but not least: do some art

Footslogger
08-01-2008, 09:33
I added a big puddle and a "2003" to my AT tatt ...

'Slogger

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/0/finaltat-med.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8603&original=1&c=member&imageuser=150)

Mags
08-01-2008, 09:51
I carried a watermelon the top to the top of Katahdin, my friends packed a bottle of Dom Perignon, cold cuts, cheese, fruit..and sprayed me down with cheap wine (they said I smelled better stinking of cheap wine).

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2270&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

Good times.

The PCT ending was a bit more chill. Just myself and a buddy at the border eating my last on trail meal. Oh..and some party hats:

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4669&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

The CDT ending? Two slugs of cheap booze (Tequila for Mexico, Whiskey for Canada) and three crowns!

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14533&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

jersey joe
08-01-2008, 09:56
I stopped at the first McDonalds I saw and assaulted the dollar menu....had 7 items.

I also climbed Katahdin on my one and two year summit anniversaries.

minnesotasmith
08-01-2008, 10:00
I recited Robert Service's poem "Law of the Yukon" aloud, and toasted the Trail with a ~2 oz. bottle of schnapps, with the assistance of Matthewski.

the goat
08-01-2008, 10:06
fried chicken & a lot of guinness on a chilly night in the parking lot of FS 42.

Skyline
08-01-2008, 10:17
I added a big puddle and a "2003" to my AT tatt ...

'Slogger

A puddle would be very appropriate for 2003. A big one.

Skyline
08-01-2008, 10:20
After the summit: Pizza & beer, in Millinockett.

Next three days: Filled in a missing section in Maine.

Lastly: Met trail friends already camping at Acadia National Park. We hiked some more.

mudhead
08-01-2008, 10:41
Hey Mags! The squirrel on your face has a touch of mange in that last shot.

RememberYourZen
08-01-2008, 10:53
hahaha, from what I've heard, the puddle is quite fitting for that particular year.

Mags
08-01-2008, 10:53
Hey Mags! The squirrel on your face has a touch of mange in that last shot.

Very dark squirrel with some subtle gray highlights....

Grampie
08-01-2008, 11:20
I live in Connecticut. On purpose I skipped a 4 mile section along the Housatonic River during my hike. After I had finished hiking I invited family and friends to join me while I hiked my last 4 miles. On a beautiful November day about 70 family and friends joined my celebration. Many hiked the last miles and later joined up for a great cookout. It was a day I'll always remember.
I also got a tatoo. The AT symble and the date.:)

A-Train
08-01-2008, 12:01
Hour upon hour of Whiteblaze

Mags
08-01-2008, 12:23
Hour upon hour of Whiteblaze

All WB.... all the time. :)

Lone Wolf
08-01-2008, 12:25
When you completed your thru-hike/section hike to finish the app. trail, how did you commemorate it? Big dinner? hour-long shower? tattoos? lots of beer?

didn't do anything

Blissful
08-01-2008, 14:09
We had an all night trip from Baxter back to my inlaws in NY, so not much initially. But my dad had signs eveywhere congratulating us when we stopped to see them on our way back to VA. When we got back home here, I threw a party for everyone that supported us, along with showing pictures. Then sent out news releases and got a few interviews for papers.

The Solemates
08-01-2008, 14:13

spent 1 day in millinocket, 2 days in bar harbor including a visit to acadia national park, 2 days in Boston, and then a week driving south towards home stopping at places along the way. when we finally got home, we threw a huge party, which commenced by me shaving and getting a haircut.

...not to mention hours of whiteblaze :)

Cookerhiker
08-01-2008, 21:58
Brought a small bottle of champagne (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8767&catid=member&imageuser=5065)and was so excited with finishing after 27 years that I squirted some on other hikers, accidentally of course.

Last September I hiked up K with my GF as she was finishing the AT. We went to Acadia for 3 days afterwards as our celebration.

rafe
08-02-2008, 00:05
My wife made up this banner, which was waiting for me in the kitchen along with a bouquet of flowers. We throw a large party every year we call "Novemberfest." At last year's Novemberfest we had a big cake with an AT logo on it.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/welcome_home.jpg

Presently, the banner lives in the basement right next to the big AT map.

saimyoji
08-02-2008, 00:13
you must be an animal in the bedroom

Bulldawg
08-02-2008, 00:15
My wife made up this banner, which was waiting for me in the kitchen along with a bouquet of flowers. We throw a large party every year we call "Novemberfest." At last year's Novemberfest we had a big cake with an AT logo on it.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/welcome_home.jpg

Presently, the banner lives in the basement right next to the big AT map.

Does she think you are a maniac for hiking or just a maniac in general?

Lone Wolf
08-02-2008, 00:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOlKvvLXP8

saimyoji
08-02-2008, 00:21
the small print "i love you" says something.....about who i don't know...:rolleyes:

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 00:23
You hiding the turtle from your wife??

rafe
08-02-2008, 00:30
Does she think you are a maniac for hiking or just a maniac in general?

Some couples address each other as "honey" or "dear" or "sweetie." To each other, we're simply "maniac." It's a term of endearment, oddly enough. You're excused for being confused.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 00:33
Some couples address each other as "honey" or "dear" or "sweetie." To each other, we're simply "maniac." It's a term of endearment, oddly enough. You're excused for being confused.

too much information and arrogance in one post. nice job.

got all your last minute *****t packed for your hike?

Bulldawg
08-02-2008, 00:34

So let me get this straight, instead of calling each other sweetie, honey, snookums, doll, darling, etc....... You call each other MANIAC??

That says something, I am not sure what though. I may need time to decipher what it says. I will get back to you on it.

rafe
08-02-2008, 00:41
So let me get this straight, instead of calling each other sweetie, honey, snookums, doll, darling, etc....... You call each other MANIAC??

Ayup, you got it. It's been going on for eighteen years. Go figure. :D :sun :)

rafe
08-02-2008, 00:45
too much information and arrogance in one post. nice job.

Arrogant, in what way? :-?

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 00:50
You're excused for being confused.

Arrogant, in what way? :-?

1st statement comes across as arrogant. still confused, are ye?

rafe
08-02-2008, 01:05
TM: my photo of the banner was Post #22 in this thread, we're now up to #34, and it's mostly a handful of folks going haywire, apparently, over the term "maniac" used as a term of endearment between two happily married adults. And so now you call me arrogant for saying to Bulldawg, in response to his incredulity, "You're excused for being confused." I hardly know what to say... can't seem to catch a break.

rafe
08-02-2008, 01:11
That says something, I am not sure what though. I may need time to decipher what it says.

Take all the time you need, Bulldawg. Or better yet, just forget about it, if it troubles you.

I will get back to you on it.That's awfully nice of you, but really not necessary.

Bearpaw
08-02-2008, 01:13
On top of Katahdin - shared a few nips of Jim Beam with others. Made the five miles down more enjoyable and interesting.

In Millinockett - wore jeans for the first time in months. A great sensation.

Home - I added five new bearpaws to the one on my right leg, making one paw for each month I was out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/bptat.jpg

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 08:23
TM: my photo of the banner was Post #22 in this thread, we're now up to #34, and it's mostly a handful of folks going haywire, apparently, over the term "maniac" used as a term of endearment between two happily married adults. And so now you call me arrogant for saying to Bulldawg, in response to his incredulity, "You're excused for being confused." I hardly know what to say... can't seem to catch a break.

Maybe if you asked someone to preview your posts, ya know, to take the maniac stuff out, you would catch more "breaks". Of course, the new moderated wb is about the biggest break you got - enjoy your freedom from the hiker trash gallery - ya know, the ones who do know what they are talking about. :D

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 08:24
Oh, and have a great hike! :)

yappy
08-02-2008, 12:07
My husband, who is not a hiker, listens to me sometimes talking about how some of you guys just BASH people and he cringes.. Give the guy a freaking break ! i am amazed he is still even on this thing... Maybe, to his wife... who probably think he is something else for hiking ( not all folks get our obession ) was complimenting him.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 12:13
My husband, who is not a hiker, listens to me sometimes talking about how some of you guys just BASH people and he cringes.. Give the guy a freaking break ! i am amazed he is still even on this thing... Maybe, to his wife... who probably think he is something else for hiking ( not all folks get our obession ) was complimenting him.

Some things are best left at home and excusing people the way he did is not something that belongs here. No one is bashing, just helping point these things out. :)

mudhead
08-02-2008, 12:36
Lighten up.

I took it in good sport.

Feel free to point out the knot on my head.

notorius tic
08-02-2008, 12:49
Mags you rock

rafe
08-02-2008, 13:50
Some things are best left at home and excusing people the way he did is not something that belongs here. No one is bashing, just helping point these things out. :)

Are you a moderator now, Tin Man? I didn't think so.

too much information and arrogance in one post. nice job.Nobody's bashing, eh? :rolleyes:

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 13:55

Nobody's bashing, eh? :rolleyes:

Are you the expert on everything now, _terrapin_? I didn't think so. :)

Have a great hike. We will have the maniac sign ready for your return. :sun

Bulldawg
08-02-2008, 14:16
:rolleyes:

I don't think the rules say you have to be a moderator to call someone out if you see fit. I am a little more laid back than I used to be and just let it slide. Apparently it struck a chord with Mr. Tin Man.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 14:20
I don't think the rules say you have to be a moderator to call someone out if you see fit. I am a little more laid back than I used to be and just let it slide. Apparently it struck a chord with Mr. Tin Man.

Sliding is cool. I plan to practicing sliding at boy scout camp next week. big ass slide into the lake.

And I only call out the boys when they is over the top, not when they is just being boys. :)

No Belay
08-02-2008, 18:01

Hey Yappy, I thought you were on the CDT. No wonder I couldn't catch up with you :). Sounds like your hubby is a smart guy. I have noticed that most the bashers are on here 7 day a week month after month. When do these "experts" hike?

If you send me some cool weather, there's a pie in it for you @ Pie Town next year.:D

Back on topic, I've never broke the ribbon on the end of a trail but if I ever do, I'll just go home and wash my socks.

yappy
08-03-2008, 16:35
Hi No belay..:) i wish i was on the Cdt instead of up here freezing to death ! Summer never came to AK, sorta depressing. The plan was to go next year but i have an aging dog and don't feel as like i should be gone 5 months or so. i don't want to leave it to Brad if she needs to be put down...:( I am doing the trt in a month and thinking about the azt next Spring. i know i know... she could go down hill then too. the cdt is gonna have to wait a couple of years... which is OK by me cuz I just love lulu to pieces. i have been thinking about sectioning it.. sorta... but I love thru hiking so hard decision.

G-WALK
08-05-2008, 21:44
Every april 6 i hike up to spring to commemorate my 06 thru hike.