PDA

View Full Version : pack size

Pickleodeon
08-01-2008, 10:24
Hi, I will be solo (well, to start) nobo. I tend to be cold (ie more stuff) and obviously I'll be carrying all of my own food, gear etc. I'm a pretty petite female and sometimes overpack a little bit. Any suggestions on pack size. I was looking into maybe 4500 cu. in. I also found one that was 4750. They say the bigger the pack, the more crap you'll find to put in it, but I don't want to go to small.

Mocs123
08-01-2008, 10:40
I would say something smaller like 3000-3500 cubic inches, but it really all depends on the rest of your gear.

RememberYourZen
08-01-2008, 11:05
I've got about 4300 for mine, and it seems to be the perfect size. Think about this though: you can always make a bigger pack smaller, but you can't make a smaller pack bigger. At the same time though, if you buy a smaller pack you may learn to pack less and that could be prove beneficial.

taildragger
08-01-2008, 11:43
Hi, I will be solo (well, to start) nobo. I tend to be cold (ie more stuff) and obviously I'll be carrying all of my own food, gear etc. I'm a pretty petite female and sometimes overpack a little bit. Any suggestions on pack size. I was looking into maybe 4500 cu. in. I also found one that was 4750. They say the bigger the pack, the more crap you'll find to put in it, but I don't want to go to small.

Buy the gear that you plan to use, if you can steal a pack (or already have one) do some 2-3 night trips and keep a log of what you use. Once you've got your gear down, then buy the smallest pack that will fit 7 days of food and your winter gear (at least thats how I'd do it).

FWIW, I have a 3700 pack that is now ginormous for what I do. I can easily fit all my colder gear in it, or my 8lb mammoth tent if I decide to live in luxury instead of a tarp.

shoe
08-01-2008, 11:44
Mine is 3800 and it seems to be about the perfect size for me. A little tight with winter gear but I can smoosh everything in there and I am far from petite. I wear XL and XXL mens clothes so my clothes take up more room

Wags
08-02-2008, 01:04
mine's 3500

Egads
08-02-2008, 07:20
Buy your gear first, then take it to the store.

Load and try on every pack until you find the one that you love.