PDA

View Full Version : protein shakes

Wyatt
03-02-2004, 13:35
I'm looking into taking some protein shakes or meal replacement type shakes to add to my foodbag. Most of the ones I have tried so far are really awful. Does anyone make something of this type that tastes good or at least really close to good?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Wyatt
03-03-2004, 11:47
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the Spirutein yet, but will pick up some next time I'm out and give it a shot. This sounds like the cure for flavors that claim to be "chocolate" or "vanilla", but are really "kindergarten paste" or "chalk and gristle".

Thanks,

Wyatt

krazychefkurt
03-12-2004, 02:50
Herbalife protien shakes are great!!!!! They have Vanilla, chocolate, dark chocolate, cookies and cream and a few others i think. They are great been takin them for years. If your interested i could give you the number for my distrubutor. P.s. they can be mixed w/ milk or h2o

Jaybird
03-12-2004, 07:59
I'm looking into taking some protein shakes or meal replacement type shakes to add to my foodbag. Most of the ones I have tried so far are really awful. Does anyone make something of this type that tastes good or at least really close to good?Wyatt

Wyatt:

there are loads of Protein shake mixes out there....

make sure you choose one with, obviously, loads of protein, lots of carbs, (those muscles need 'em to recoup after a long day of hiking) & mucho calories! (most hikers eat about 1-2000 calories per meal...but, burn approx 9-10,000 or MORE per day per 8 hours of hiking)...

while protein shakes are..."a good thing!"..(apologies to convicted felon, Martha Stewart!) why not cook....enjoy the company & conversation...it's part of the trail experience. :D

good luck with your hike.

gravityman
03-12-2004, 11:13
Wyatt:

(most hikers eat about 1-2000 calories per meal...but, burn approx 9-10,000 or MORE per day per 8 hours of hiking)...

Hmmm... 9-10,000 calories? It takes about 100 calories to run a mile for a 150 lb person, so it would be 1500 calories for 15 miles.

For a 200lb person (or a 150 lb person with a 50 lb pack) you would burn 2128 calories to hike 16 miles at 2 miles per hour. It is slightly dependent on pace, but not strongly. Energy used is essentially distance times weight. There are some inefficiencies at higher outputs, so you do burn slightly more calories at a fast pace. So, at 6 miles per hour, the same person would have burned 2672 calories. Not a huge difference.

So, people are drastically overstating their caloric needs on a thruhike. But remember this is in addition to the 2,000 calories that a "normal" person needs, so you need about 4,200 calories a day. It's tough to get that much.

Anyway, here's a calculator : http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm

Also realize that your resting metabolic rate will increase, so that 2,000 calories will increase. And you will burn more in winter when it is cold.

Gravity man

Jaybird
03-13-2004, 09:53
Hmmm... 9-10,000 calories? It takes about 100 calories to run a mile for a 150 lb person, so it would be 1500 calories for 15 miles............................................. .................................................. ............................etc.,etc.,etc.,....... .................................................. .................................................. .............................................. Gravity man

Yo GravityMan:

my statistics/facts came from a recent Backpacker magazine (http://www.Backpacker.com) article.
the stats stated were a hiker: (sorry don't remember the weight of hiker) using trek poles, averaging 2 mph, carrying a 20lb pack....for 1 hour is burning approx. 900 calories per hour.

hey, dont know what calculator they were using...
but, their stats seem reasonable & believable. :D