PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokies: Biting bugs in late March?

JEB
03-02-2004, 13:38
During 13 March through 18 March I'll be in Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock wilderness for a short trip -- elevations ranging from 2,000 to 5,000 feet. Would I be correct to assume that mosquitoes and other biting insects won't be out yet?
(I'm not counting ticks. The deer ticks are out here in Massachusetts already.) Thanks for any info.

Jaybird
03-02-2004, 14:01
During 13 March through 18 March I'll be in Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock wilderness for a short trip -- elevations ranging from 2,000 to 5,000 feet. Would I be correct to assume that mosquitoes and other biting insects won't be out yet?
(I'm not counting ticks. The deer ticks are out here in Massachusetts already.) Thanks for any info.

Yo JEB:

in most cases...the weather is still quite coooool in March in the Mountains....we dont usually see mosquitoes til late spring/early summer & deer ticks start showing themselves about the same time.

good luck with your hike! :p

see ya'll UP the trail!

steve hiker
03-02-2004, 14:05
You'll be fine.

loonyhiker
03-02-2004, 16:05
I've been at Joyce Kilmer at the end of April and it was QUITE cool! I doubt whether any self respecting bug would even venture out in March!

loonyhiker:sun