PDA

View Full Version : two biggies- pack, bag

Pickleodeon
08-01-2008, 23:59
ok, I just went to my local (well, not so local) outfitter. The guy gave me a half hour lecture on what to buy and after trying the original pack I was thinking about, he was right that I didn't want that one, despite my skepticism on his idea of what is right for me. So, he encouraged an Osprey pack. 3800 cu in. for my nobo early march start (solo). I know Osprey packs are pretty reputable. Any ideas on size, brand, is this going to be a worthy pack?

Also, I was originally planning on a synthetic bag, I know they're bigger and heavier, but also cheaper. I'm not thrilled about having to loft a down bag and also keeping it dry could be a (small) issue. Is down worth the size, weight, warmth ratio to the pains of caring for it? I sleep cold if that helps. Also, I don't have a ton of money. Ideas?

shoe
08-02-2008, 00:05
A sleeping bag is one area you don't want to skimp on.

I used to carry a synthetic because I was worried about getting a down bag wet. Well I haven't gotten my down bag wet yet in 2 years of hiking.

I think Campmor sells some decently price down sleeping bags.

I don't carry a Osprey but my pack is 3800 ci and it seems to fit everything I need just great. But I am not an ultra lighter either.

fiddlehead
08-02-2008, 00:39
Down is the best IMO. (I have 4 of them)
I agree, don't skimp on the bag. Especially if you sleep cold.

I'd check ebay for a pack but go with about a 20 deg down bag from Campmor.
Search this site for more info.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-02-2008, 10:36
ok, I just went to my local (well, not so local) outfitter. The guy gave me a half hour lecture on what to buy and after trying the original pack I was thinking about, he was right that I didn't want that one, despite my skepticism on his idea of what is right for me. So, he encouraged an Osprey pack. 3800 cu in. for my nobo early march start (solo). I know Osprey packs are pretty reputable. Any ideas on size, brand, is this going to be a worthy pack?

Also, I was originally planning on a synthetic bag, I know they're bigger and heavier, but also cheaper. I'm not thrilled about having to loft a down bag and also keeping it dry could be a (small) issue. Is down worth the size, weight, warmth ratio to the pains of caring for it? I sleep cold if that helps. Also, I don't have a ton of money. Ideas?
Follow his advise- the osprey particularly when properly sized and fitted will really work for you. A down bag with full length zipper will double as a warmer weather quilt and take up less space and weight. It doesn't take much to keep those feathers dry so don't worry there.
Don't cut corners on the big 3 pack, shelter, sleeping bag.

mister krabs
08-02-2008, 10:55
You save a pound or two for 50$ if you spring for the campmor down bag.

FritztheCat
08-02-2008, 11:59
I have the campmor down bag and love it! It's very lightweight and packs down to about the size of a football.

Blissful
08-02-2008, 21:01
Lots of Opsreys on the trail last year. good pack.

I carried synthetic all last year - liked it, but because of my pack size now, I will likely need to go to down for colder temps because it compresses better and is lighter weight. But don't skimp on the price of a bag. It's worth spending the money for a good bag that has a reliable temp rating and holds up. Personally I like Marmot very much.

rafe
08-02-2008, 21:10
I carried synthetic all last year - liked it, but because of my pack size now, I will likely need to go to down for colder temps because it compresses better and is lighter weight. But don't skimp on the price of a bag. It's worth spending the money for a good bag that has a reliable temp rating and holds up. Personally I like Marmot very much.

A decent down bag will last forever. It's a solid investment.

hopefulhiker
08-02-2008, 23:05
Down is the way to go. It is not that hard to keep it dry.. You can get a used down bag by checking out the gear forums. Also look into getting a silk liner too..

taildragger
08-03-2008, 13:10
For a larger company, Osprey still makes some real nice packs at reasonable weights. The one thing that annoys me about their packs is that the compression straps have a tendency to go over the side pockets (I use water bottles, so it is a little of an issue).

Sleeping bag: The campmor down bag is a favored budget bag that is supposed to have accurate ratings. To keep it dry, make sure that its stored in a trash compactor bag (or similar)

To me, the size and weight of colder weather down bags definitely makes them worth the little extra cost for me. A smaller bag means that you can have more room for things like good food, or extra food if you want to go longer distances between resupplies.

Egads
08-03-2008, 17:52
Get down with it:cool:

I just ordered an Osprey Stratos 32 for my mid size pack. I love the fit and the trampoline mesh back.