PDA

View Full Version : Yoyo: Good time to start in Harper's Ferry...

mcw1882
03-02-2004, 14:53
Well, I had planned on going next year, but seems things have a way of changing. Rather than take the chop doc's advice :datz , I'm planning on starting in 2 weeks. Anyone with advice about the time of year in Harper's Ferry going north?

tlbj6142
03-02-2004, 16:05
So you are going to start (in two weeks) at Harper's Ferry? I don't understand your question.

mcw1882
03-02-2004, 16:16
Yeah planning starting in HF, going N to Katahdin,back down to Springer, and back to HF.. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. Just wanted to know what kind of conditions I'm going to be looking at, or if anyone has another suggestion as to where to start a yoyo...

tlbj6142
03-02-2004, 16:31
Depending on how fast you hike, you might get to Katahdin before it opens. And I have heard the "mud season" and bug season can be in full swing as well.

By starting at HF (and doing the yoyo) what are you trying to accomplish? Easier start while you get into trail shape? How much time do you have to complete the trail?

mcw1882
03-02-2004, 16:47
Depending on how fast you hike, you might get to Katahdin before it opens. And I have heard the "mud season" and bug season can be in full swing as well.

By starting at HF (and doing the yoyo) what are you trying to accomplish? Easier start while you get into trail shape? How much time do you have to complete the trail?

Main concern was knocking out the northern section prior to closures, and an easier start. Not to mention the sentimental aspect, since I finished there last time... As far as mud and bugs go, I was "born" in Parris Island, and doubt there can be much worse. :D

I haven't had alot of time to research, but I know my window of opportunity is closing fast...

tlbj6142
03-02-2004, 17:14
Main concern was knocking out the northern section prior to closuresGot it. Now I see what you are trying to accomplish. Many folks who are a bit concerned about getting to Katahdin before it closes to a "flip-flop". Start at Springer (in two weeks) hike North. If you are taking too long to reach maine, flip up farther North and finish Maine. Once you have reached Katahdin, flop back down south and finish the middle section of the trail you have yet to complete.

Peaks
03-02-2004, 17:34
Well, you don't want to catch up with early spring in the north. So, Hanover is about 725 miles north of Harper's Ferry. Assuming an overall average of 84 miles per week, it will take about 8 to 9 weeks to get there. Mud season is over about Memorial Day, thus making an early start date sometime in early April.

The reason for staying off the trails until after mud season is that the trails are very fragile as the frost comes out of the ground. It's got nothing to do with your tolerance for hiking in the mud. Rather, the amount of damage that can be done to the trails hiking early in the season.

If you are determined to start in mid March, then I would suggest starting in the middle of Virginia rather than at Harpers Ferry.

A late start date would be mid to late July.

tlbj6142
03-02-2004, 17:42
Katahdin is typically open from June 1st thru October 1st. Sometimes as early as mid-May and thru mid-October. If you were to start at Springer in two weeks (16-Mar) you should have plenty of time to reach Katahdin.

Which is why I still don't understand you question. Now if you were planning to hike HF south to Springer and then HF north to Katahdin to avoid "winter" in the south, I might understand your concern.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2004, 17:49
Start here in Damascus in 2 weeks and join the first wave of NOBO thru-hikers. When you get to Katahdin start with the 1st wave of SOBOs. Finish at Springer and hike the 400+ miles back to Damascus. I'll buy you steak and beer at Dot's and give you ride wherever you gotta go. :clap

Peaks
03-02-2004, 17:52
Katahdin is typically open from June 1st thru October 1st. Sometimes as early as mid-May and thru mid-October. If you were to start at Springer in two weeks (16-Mar) you should have plenty of time to reach Katahdin.

Which is why I still don't understand you question. Now if you were planning to hike HF south to Springer and then HF north to Katahdin to avoid "winter" in the south, I might understand your concern.

True, with a mid March (or even a late April) start at Springer, there is still plenty of time to get to Katahdin before it closes for the winter.

But, the problem starting at Harpers Ferry early is arriving too early in the Whites while it is still mud season on the higher elevations. As long as the frost is still coming out of the ground, the trail is very fragile. Best if done after Memorial Day.

A-Train
03-02-2004, 18:05
Why wouldn;t you start at springer in 2 weeks? If you started 15 march it would take you say approximately 3 months to get to harpers ferry (15 june). You could then catch a ride to maine and start with some SOBos, and hike south back to HF, ending where it all began for you. In the process you'd get to run into many folks you met and hiked with in the spring as a NOBO. You also wouldn't have to worry about mud or cold temps as much. Sure you'll hit some blackflies in maine in june but you'll hit the tail end.
good luck whatever you do.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2004, 18:46
MCW---

Tho people are trying to tell you al sorts of things about what you SHOULD be doing, I'm gonna simply answer your question.

I'm in a unique position to do so, as I'm actualy IN Harper's Ferry. It's ben very nice since Sunday, tho it rained a bit last night. Today started grey but quickly turned sunny; it must've got into the low sixties, with more of the ame predicted.

I don't know exactly when you plan to start, but my guess is you'll encounter mostly mild weather as you progress North, with some chilliness in the evenings and early mornings. You'll likely encounter a good bit of rain, so plan accordingly---have some good poor-weather gear, and always have some dry clothes saved away to change into at day's end.

I don't know how quickly you plan to hike, but it should get warmer and dryer as you get further North. Two warnings: The White Mountains in New Hampshire will still be cold and perhaps snowy as late as June, so make sure you have proper clothes and eqipment: Don't leave Hanover without cold-weather gear, and plan on your mileage slowing down a few days out of Hanover. Lastly, be aware of the early insect season that can affect you in New Hampshire and will certainly be a problem in Maine if you're there in late May or early June. Final thing---make sure you check out the websites for Baxter State Park so you're aware of rules and regulations there, especially if you arrive early in the Maine hiking season. If you arrive too early, you might not be able to climb Katahdin.

Have a great trip.

tlbj6142
03-03-2004, 09:59
Tho people are trying to tell you al sorts of things about what you SHOULD be doing, I'm gonna simply answer your question.Thanks for being so noble Jack (or is it really Smokymountainsteve?). None of us have told him what he should do. We just don't understand his question. He seems to have left out some bit of information that is needed to give a response.

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2004, 10:24
......... :sun ...........

mcw1882
03-08-2004, 09:37
Sorry took so long to reply... I'm just trying to get info as to where to start and what kind of conditions to expect. Granted I have thru hiked before, but I was six, didn't have to deal with the logistics, and it was back in '80, so alot has changed. Thanks for the info so far, it's been a big help.

I have been leaning closer towards starting @ Springer, but kinda like Lone Wolf's suggestion of Damascus as well.

The Only thing right now that is set in stone for me is the start date, in between 16Mar & 20Mar...

Any further suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

hungryhowie
03-08-2004, 11:56
I suppose where you should start should depend on how fast you feel like hiking. Here are a few breakdowns for you starting March 20th.

A typical 12mpd (6 month thruhike) pace, starting at Damascus, VA:
Damascus March 20, Glencliff on July 8, Katahdin August 9, Glencliff SOBO on September 10, Springer on February 5, Damascus March 14

Starting at north of Damascus at this pace will put you in VT and NH in the midst of mud season. Not only is excessive mud not fun to hike in, it also destroys the fragile eco-systems that you'll be passing through. Likewise, starting south of Damascus at this pace will put you in the Whites (on your SOBO return) late in the season. You'll risk putting up with serious winter storms and lots of ice in the Whites...something you may not want to do.

If you plan to move a little quicker, however, as many yoyos seem to do, you might look at the 14.5 mpd (or 5 month thruhike) pace.

Here's the breakdown, again starting on March 20:
Springer on March 20, Glencliff on July 19, Katahdin on August 17, Glencliff SOBO on September 15, Springer on January 14.

Either of these iteneraries look fine to me. It just depends on how fast you want to hike. If it were me, I'd steer clear of VT and NH before mid-late June, and try to be through them (at least the Whites) on your return by October 15.

Good luck and have fun!

-Howie

mcw1882
03-16-2004, 13:36
Well Lone Wolf, I'll take you up on the offer for steak and brew. Had planned on driving up to Damascus tomorrow, but had a friend go into the hospital. So I told him I'd wait until he was out before I take off.

Hopefully I can be en route by this weekend...

Thanks to all for the help, I'll post when I can... :clap