PDA

View Full Version : weather at spinger in march

klr237
08-02-2008, 08:29
I'm planning a thru-hike in spring '09, most likely starting in mid to late march.
I was wondering what kind of weather is typical on the start of the trail in Springer and for the first few weeks of the trail around that time?
I'm from the Northeast, upstate New York right now, so I'm pretty used to cold weather in the winter. I've done a few backpacking trips in cold weather late November, early March. Just wanted to know what others in a similar situation have experienced at the start, did it feel like summer once they started, was it colder because of the mountains/elevation, was it about the same? I'm also trying to see what type of gear I could get away with using?

rafe
08-02-2008, 08:31
All over the map. You really need to be prepared for a wide range of temperatures. Yes, it's warmer in GA than in NY, but you're also at higher elevations. You'll have a few nights in the 20s, for sure.

Egads
08-02-2008, 09:20
PWS historical data for similar altitude at location near Springer.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MBRSG1&day=2&year=2008&month=8&graphspan=year

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGABLAIR1&day=2&year=2007&month=8&graphspan=year

Consider this; it always feels colder after hiking all day, wearing sweaty clothes, being blasted by the wind, and being outside in the woods. IOW, it ain't the same as your backyard.

Speer Carrier
08-02-2008, 09:24
Terrapin is right. You could have temperatures in the 70's during the day and mild nights, of you could see the temperature go down into the 20's at night. A few years ago I saw a 29 degree night in Georgia on May 1st on the AT.

The big thing will be the Smokeys which you will reach in a few weeks. You could be snowed in for a few days. Prepare for the worst at that time of year.

klr237
08-02-2008, 10:12
Thanks for the information I'll definitely consider it in choosing gear/clothing. That was a good point about the smokies, currently I've been thinking I'd be starting with colder weather which should gradually increase, but with the smokies, I could be hiking through a stretch where I will probably hit colder weather for a time. To tell you the truth though overnight lows in the 20's sound a lot better than daytime highs in the 20's. I do always have the option of sending heavier winter gear/clothes home if I need to once I get past the potentially cold stuff.

rafe
08-02-2008, 10:18
For some reason, a lot of hikers report their coldest night being at Muskrat Creek shelter -- the first one in NC as you head north. Must have been a dozen of us inside, and we all froze our butts. (Would have been warmer in a tent.)

Boudin
08-02-2008, 10:22
It might be: Sunny 75*
Rain 40*
Snow 10*

Take your pick.

Boudin
08-02-2008, 10:23
And probably windy.

BookBurner
08-02-2008, 10:38
Last year, early March was unseasonably warm (and therefore buggy). Highs in the 60's and 70's. During the first week of April though, we froze out tails off. Lows on the trail in the teens, plus a brutal and constant wind! In the smokies, we got 5" inches of snow one night (and a jungle-gym of blowdown to negotiate). Anything goes on the AT until probably May (on a 2002 thru, I got hail and freezing temps in Va. the week before Memorial Day). Be prepared for it all regardless of what the weather is like when you start. And don't send the warm clothing home at the first sign of spring. The last sign of winter might be waiting for you just around the corner.

Tagless
08-02-2008, 11:00
One positive aspect to starting in early March is that the views are great (no leaves on trees yet). You will enjoy a longer period of time with great views, until things fill in. Comments about weather ranges are right on. Be prepared for anything that Mother Nature can (probably will) throw your way.

susan_hannan
08-02-2008, 11:28
The smokies are the big unknown. If you hit the GSMNP on or around March 15-20 you can bet on lows in the 20's and highs in the 40-50 degree range. March has historically been the month of the most snow; something around 20-25 inches for the month. It snows about 12 days out of the month and if you do the park section in 4 days then your chances of see significant snowfall are relatively good. There are many stories of being stranded at a shelter for up to 5 days(sometimes with dire results) so dont chuck your cold weather gear untill you feel comfortable with the weather. Also, unless you stop at Newfound Gap(halfway through the park) and hitch into Gatlinburg, then you have 72 miles of unsupported hiking. Your pack weight will be on the heavy side but better safe than sorry.

SteveJ
08-02-2008, 20:13
I was at Hawk Mtn Shelter last year (07) in April - had lows in the high teens.....and highs in the 70's that week. Terrapin is right - be prepared for a wide range of temps.

Terrapin is right. You could have temperatures in the 70's during the day and mild nights, of you could see the temperature go down into the 20's at night. A few years ago I saw a 29 degree night in Georgia on May 1st on the AT.

The big thing will be the Smokeys which you will reach in a few weeks. You could be snowed in for a few days. Prepare for the worst at that time of year.

Blissful
08-02-2008, 20:44
It might be: Sunny 75*
Rain 40*
Snow 10*

Take your pick.

That's about the size of it. When we were on Springer on March 5th there were 40 mph winds. In mid March in the Smokies, it was 70. In April on Easter in Erwin in snowed. Be prepared for everything.

klr237
08-03-2008, 08:46
Well, thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go with some colder weather gear for a time then. I realize predicting the weather is like picking lottery numbers. But does anyone think there's a good rule of thumb location/time where you could say "yeah I'm pretty much through worst of it for a while"

Lyle
08-03-2008, 09:43
Well, thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go with some colder weather gear for a time then. I realize predicting the weather is like picking lottery numbers. But does anyone think there's a good rule of thumb location/time where you could say "yeah I'm pretty much through worst of it for a while"

Well, I'm not the expert here, but I do remember this being discussed before. If I remember right, the consensus was that winter gear could "GENERALLY" be sent home or exchanged at Damascus. That said, I was caught in a Whiteout on Whitetop mountain, north of Damascus. Temps below 0*. That, however, was in very early April. How fast are you planning to hike?

Based on my personal experience, I would wait a bit longer to lighten my load too much.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cool AT Breeze
08-03-2008, 10:18
Don't get rid of cold weather gear untill after Mt. Rogers.

klr237
08-03-2008, 10:19
And I think I'm going to wait a while to swap stuff, just good to see others have experienced. Its hard to say how fast I'm going to be hiking. I've done many 20 mile or so days, but most of my hiking experience has been in North-Central,Western PA. You do have some decent climbs and decents, but I realize the elevation changes on the AT are a going to be a lot more demanding than what I am used to. I'm really going to try to take my time though maybe 10-12 miles a day to start out. I want to enjoy my time out there and not rush through it.