PDA

View Full Version : What is your own hike? or How to find the best fit for a hiking partner.

CherrypieScout
08-02-2008, 13:24
:confused: I have been thinking about a questionaire or survey to discover or describe an individual's hiking preference/personality. Does one already exist? After meeting and setting up a hike with a great person whom I really enjoyed spending time with, traveling to leave the car and hike, we quickly discovered our hiking patterns were not compatible. I have catagorized various issues in 4 sections: Physical abilities; Knowledge and previous expereinces; Purpose and drive; Personality (introvert, extrovert, independent, dependent, fear of...)
I have listed many different traits under each heading. If anyone has input on this issue, I would love to hear it. Finding a compatible hiking partner that closely matches one's on physical abilities, expereinces, or purpose is difficult.
Gosh, sounds like a match.com issue for platonic hikers.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 13:36
Try joining a hiking group and find a partner the old fashioned way. :cool:

Bearpaw
08-02-2008, 14:01
The only folks I hike with that are not work related are boy scouts or my wife. Otherwise, it's solo for me. You may hiking alone to be a fairly common theme here.

That said, if you're interested in setting up a survey, have at it. It could prove interesting.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 14:08

Here's a place to get started...

http://www.hotlantaadventures.org/resources-links/outdoorgroups.htm

don't be put off by the home page's title regarding "younger adult". most hiking clubs support all ages, genders, abilities, etc.

:sun

Undershaft
08-02-2008, 15:12
I think your survey idea is a good one.

Tipi Walter
08-02-2008, 16:33
Two solutions: Get a dog, hopefully qualified for outdoor life and not one brainwashed by indoor carpet and soft pillows. Most dogs understand what it means to live outdoors, in fact, they can teach humans a thing or two about the world of green.

Second: Start at Springer in April and you'll hook up with someone.

CherrypieScout
08-03-2008, 08:25
I have been solo section hiking over the past 10 years. I would like to hike with someone once I get up to the Whites and north. Must be a true Southern hiker - woods do feel different past the Mason Dixon line. I don't mind hiking alone, but it is fun to share the journey.
Have a dog, Xena, SHe is a Border Collie. She did great for a few years, but now she is afraid of people and will attack andy dog that approaches her. She is not very social or friendly. I kept her leashed to my waist belt - great help up hills but she would suddendly pull me off trail when other hikers approached. She is still my outdoor dog keeping the backyard safe from squirrels.

Plodderman
08-03-2008, 09:09
I mostly solo but the hiking partners that I enjoy the most are ones who just hike there own hike and we get together at the shelters to talk about the days journey. They are easy to get along with don't complain and give you space and enjoy the outdoors.

Most of the fun is planning the hike and riding together to the trail.

fiddlehead
08-03-2008, 09:35
Yeah, the only people i can hike with are the few who i have met on the trail and have similar interests, hiking styles, etc.

Proabably about 2-3% of the hikers i have met over the years.

With your dog problems, and your attitude towards northerners, you may have bigger problems.

I like hiking alone. I can stop when i want, where i want, for as long as i want, or hike on (if i want) nobody to argue any of those points with.

I am looking forward to a hike i have coming up in Nov with a great friend i met back in '95 and have done lots of hiking with.
We have lots in common:
prefer to dry camp (with a view), like to hike fast and don't take many breaks but take long breaks when we do, fairly lightweight (whatever that means these days?), both play backgammon and craps, both early risers, enjoy the same kinds of booze and smokes and music (pink floyd), both dislike dogs and southerners (just kiddin), like to push ourselves hard while we are out there but then kick back and enjoy ourselves in camp and afterwards.

yappy
08-03-2008, 23:03
who ya hiking with fiddlehead ?..:))

fiddlehead
08-04-2008, 02:19
Ramblin. In early Nov probably in Eagletails or north rim GC.

Sly
08-04-2008, 03:16

Here's a place to get started...

http://www.hotlantaadventures.org/resources-links/outdoorgroups.htm

That's the old fashioned way?

Blissful
08-04-2008, 09:40
About 80% of the trail I hiked alone.

If my son hiked with me, it's because I said we needed too (like through the WHItes and Mahoosuc Notch) or he came along 'cause we were heading to town and I had the money.

There were not many women my age out there, to be honest. But I also don't mind hiking alone. But at camp, it's nice to talk to someone my age.

Knocky
08-04-2008, 18:33
I can't imagine wanting to find a complete stranger to hike with.

notorius tic
08-04-2008, 18:38
two Solutions: Get A Dog, Hopefully Qualified For Outdoor Life And Not One Brainwashed By Indoor Carpet And Soft Pillows. Most Dogs Understand What It Means To Live Outdoors, In Fact, They Can Teach Humans A Thing Or Two About The World Of Green.

Second: Start At Springer In April And You'll Hook Up With Someone.
I Agree

yappy
08-04-2008, 21:00
sweet fiddlehead...tell him hi for me..:)