PDA

View Full Version : Quit your job and hike!?

harvestmoon
08-02-2008, 14:05
Hey everybody! So my boyfriend and I are doing a nobo on the at next spring, I'd like to know what you guys did before and after the hike?
Did you just sell everything, quit your job and hike?
We are planning on moving to NC after our hike so we'll be quitting our jobs here in FL, storing everything we own and just go with the flow...it's scary especially with the economy these days....anyone else in this situation?
Thank you !!

rafe
08-02-2008, 14:15
Started with a divorce. That always helps. ;)

Lyle
08-02-2008, 14:38
My hike wasn't on the AT, but that doesn't matter. I got a second job for a while, sold my car. When the time came, I quit my jobs, sold my furniture and most of my belongings. What I had left was put in a friend's basement.

On my return, I stayed with family while working odd jobs and going back to school. Got licensed in EMS, started a new career. I was 27 at the time. Never regretted it for a single second.

gghiker
08-02-2008, 15:32
Oh, so that's how it works? I'll let you tell my wife that :eek:

The job, I could leave; the wife...not so easy. She's disabled, so unfortunately, we wouldn't be going together. And I pay the bills, so...no can do, at least until retirement. Good luck, wish you well, wish it were me, but I know I'll get my chance one day.

rafe
08-02-2008, 15:39

Oh, so that's how it works? I'll let you tell my wife that :eek:

The job, I could leave; the wife...not so easy. She's disabled, so unfortunately, we wouldn't be going together. And I pay the bills, so...no can do, at least until retirement. Good luck, wish you well, wish it were me, but I know I'll get my chance one day.

I finished the trail many years later... over many sections, ranging from a dozen miles to nearly 600. My second marriage (17 yrs.) has been fine but six weeks away was the best I could manage. The job wasn't hard to leave. Last year's six-week hiatus was a vacation tacked on to a month's sabbatical.

Sly
08-02-2008, 16:14
Yup, that's basically how it works.

Hey everybody! So my boyfriend and I are doing a nobo on the at next spring, I'd like to know what you guys did before and after the hike?
We are planning on moving to NC after our hike so we'll be quitting our jobs here in FL, storing everything we own and just go with the flow...it's scary especially with the economy these days....anyone else in this situation?
Thank you !!

Monkeywrench
08-02-2008, 16:18
Thank you !!

I'm a bit older than you and at a different point in life. My daughter is grown and off on her own. My wife has a great business and earns way more money than I do. We have no mortgage or car payments. For the first time in my life I can afford to go without an income for 6 or 7 or 8 months, and my plan is simply to quit my job next March before I head to Springer.

Sure there will be strains, both financial and emotional, when I go do this while my wife is left at home to hold things together, but we both believe they are strains we can handle, so that's the plan.

Maybe we'll meet each other on the top of Springer!

Blissful
08-02-2008, 20:51
Welcome to WHite Blaze. Sounds like you are at a place of change anyway in your in your lives, so why not do the AT in the midst of the move. Sounds like a good idea. Having some family on the home front to help out too is good to have also.

Flush2wice
08-02-2008, 21:24
I'm a bit older than you and at a different point in life. My daughter is grown and off on her own. My wife has a great business and earns way more money than I do. We have no mortgage or car payments. For the first time in my life I can afford to go without an income for 6 or 7 or 8 months, and my plan is simply to quit my job next March before I head to Springer.

Sure there will be strains, both financial and emotional, when I go do this while my wife is left at home to hold things together, but we both believe they are strains we can handle, so that's the plan.

Maybe we'll meet each other on the top of Springer!
You are a fortunate man, GL on your hike.

Flush2wice
08-02-2008, 21:28
Thank you !!
Yep, just do it. I finished school in Ohio and needed to gtfoot so I hiked. Serendipity happened during the hike, and when I finished I had a job and a place to live already lined up.
Asheville is a cool town- lot's of opportunity.

saimyoji
08-02-2008, 21:36

such a shame. hope it all works out for you. :)

rafe
08-02-2008, 21:56
such a shame. hope it all works out for you. :)

It has, actually. Appreciate your concern, it's very touching.

Footslogger
08-02-2008, 22:00
I was a software analyst. Bored to tears sitting 10 hours in front of a computer display fixing broken programs. Asked for a leave of absence and it was denied. They offered me FMLA (equivalent to 90 day pregnancy leave) and I respectfully rejected their offer and resigned on the spot.

After my hike I dusted off some old credentials and updated my clinical skills and worked my way back into medical imaging, which had not done clinically for about 15 years.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
08-02-2008, 22:56
I've only worked for myself in my own businesses since 1979. (many different ones)
So, i don't have to quit my job, just take time off.
Works for me.

Life is priorities.
What are yours?

superman
08-03-2008, 00:58
30 years is enough, retire = hike.

Egads
08-03-2008, 08:59
Line up new jobs before hiking. Then go have fun.

Plodderman
08-03-2008, 16:43
Hard to work in in with 3 in college and two more to go but the day will come. I have 7 weeks off next summer to do some hiking though. Good luck on your hike.

Lellers
08-03-2008, 17:45
I'm not planning on a thru, but I'd love to just have time to do some long hikes. I'm wondering if I could find a job with a National Park vendor, say Aramark or one of the others around the country, and work in a park and hike on my off days. Or, maybe be a campground host! I met a really nice couple at Indian Creek campground in Yellowstone this year. They were loving it. They were set up in one of those big 'ole house-on-wheels in their campsite, however. I don't have one of those. I do have a cabin tent around here somewhere, though. Hmmmm.

harvestmoon
08-03-2008, 17:55
I'm not planning on a thru, but I'd love to just have time to do some long hikes. I'm wondering if I could find a job with a National Park vendor, say Aramark or one of the others around the country, and work in a park and hike on my off days. Or, maybe be a campground host! I met a really nice couple at Indian Creek campground in Yellowstone this year. They were loving it. They were set up in one of those big 'ole house-on-wheels in their campsite, however. I don't have one of those. I do have a cabin tent around here somewhere, though. Hmmmm.

Well that's what I was doing until a year and a half ago...I lived and worked at the Grand Canyon. THe most beautiful backyard I've ever had! My boyfriend and I left that lifestyle for a more "normal" one. We have itchy feet now and feel like doing a thru hike..I'm just scare for some reason to come back to nothing again and start all over.
If you don't mind a small salary then working in a National park will be fun for you!

beerandpizza
08-03-2008, 18:42
we quite our jobs, bought an rv, rented out the house, put everything in storage and plan on hiking in spring '09. corporate world sucks. I see it now more than ever. we took a workamping job in NH. Every week we see the families come with that look of vacation in their eyes and every week we see them leaving whith that going back to work look in their eyes.

Chenango
08-03-2008, 19:11
I enjoyed my work for the past 25 years, but enough is enough. When they said move to Cincinnati or retire with a separation package, I took the package. Not all I have to do is wait until the end of 2009.

'010 or bust!!

LIhikers
08-03-2008, 21:57
......I'm wondering if I could find a job with a National Park vendor, say Aramark or one of the others around the country, and work in a park and hike on my off days. Or, maybe be a campground host! ......

For that type of job check www.coolworks.com/ (http://www.coolworks.com/)

cornflake
08-04-2008, 02:05
Finished paying off the house and getting a couple of kids through college about 4 years ago. First order of business was to take a sabbatical and write a novel. Wrote 2 of those and the thought of returning to the grind made me physically sick, sooooo, set my sights on the AT. After about a year of training (started out walking around town about five miles per day and worked my way up to 10-15), I started at Springer last March. Got sidelined in three weeks due to injury. Am severly low on funds right now, but will start receiving retirement at 55 (April of 2010). Will be back then to give it another shot. Can't wait!!!

earlyriser26
08-04-2008, 08:21
I've managed to hike over half the trail in small sections, but in 2.5 years I retire and spend more time hiking. I never was willing to quit work to hike, but I understand those that have....

Lellers
08-04-2008, 08:46
For that type of job check www.coolworks.com/ (http://www.coolworks.com/)

What a cool site! Thanks!

DavidNH
08-04-2008, 08:50
Yeah that is the best way to do it. Feels great till the hike is done.

To paraphrase a great Seinfeld episode.. George says "Marchin' in. It's the best feeling in the world." Jerry replies, Oh yeah? hows the feeling marchin' out? to which George answers "Not as good. I start thiking of all that money all be losin' "

David