PDA

View Full Version : Crab cakes

saimyoji
08-02-2008, 18:33
bacon be darned...next time out i'm taking some crab cakes....md style

Bulldawg
08-02-2008, 18:37
Mmmm sounds good to me. Wonder if they can be dehydrated? But they probably wouldn't be worth a crud rehydrated.

Tin Man
08-02-2008, 18:40

md style? there's another kind? accept no imitations!

NICKTHEGREEK
08-02-2008, 18:54
Maryland covers a bit of latitude and the crab cake varies quite a bit South to North and from the Eastern Shore to Ball'imer. Never really had a bad one and a great one is a joy to behold. St Mary's county crab balls and hush puppies with a cold beer can put a nice touch on the day.

Wilson
08-02-2008, 19:46

I guess we know what you had for supper.:)

Caught enuff blue crabs to fill a small cooler last month at the beach, All the meat went into crabcakes.
Goin back next week and should be able to catch more and bigger crabs, and hope to castnet a cooler full of shrimp.:sun

Cookerhiker
08-02-2008, 19:50
Recently there was a thread asking what foods we craved the most for town stops and getting off the Trail. I believe I was the only one who said crab cakes.

I was on the Eastern Shore last week in Crisfield and Chincoteague. The crab cakes and all the seafood was delicious. If you ever get to Chincoteague, try the cream-of-crab soup at Don's seafood. Out of this world!

firemonkey
08-31-2008, 02:13
I grew up on the eastern shore ( Wye River) and nothing beats catching your own crabs steaming them in beer, makeing your own cakes. and during full moons heading out on the boat with a headlight catching softshells. for a good cake all you need is alot of back fin meat, old bay or our own home made seasoning, and the yellow stuff from the middle of the crab to hold it toghter if you dont want to use eggs

AK Jeff
08-31-2008, 03:36
Although this is not the ultimate recipe for crab cakes it works well on the trail and mayo can be substituted for eggs on longer trips.
. 2eggs
.1tsp lemon juice
.2cups stove top stuffing (canister chicken type)
.2cans 6oz each crab meat drained
.2tbs marg. or butter or oil

Beat eggs or mayo in 2/3 cup of water and lemon juice, add rest of ingredients make into patties and then brown on each side in butter or oil.

If you want to kick them up a bit you can add chopped onion or red bell pepper

These are pretty tasty on the trail, give them a shot !

modiyooch
08-31-2008, 08:52
recipe: I just use the one on the back of the old bay can and reduce the bread.

I crave blue crab anytime. I grew up catching them with the chicken necks and string. Now I'm in the foothills of NC. Anytime I'm near the coast, cc it is.

One exception is when I'm in ME. In August, we hiked 2 weeks in ME. We spent more on lobster rolls than lodging. Then a big final dinner of lobsters and clams at my brother's home before we left. That's living.

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 17:19
Crustaceans are tasty.

Lellers
08-31-2008, 19:30
Why did you folks have to start talking 'bout crab cakes! I'm in the midst of TMJ flare with jaw pain that is keeping me on an oatmeal and soup diet for the time being. I went to a wedding last night, and crab cakes were on the menu. I thought that perhaps I could enjoy those, if only by avoiding the crust and eating the soft center of the crab cakes. No dice. Even that hurt. The only good thing is the 15 pounds I've lost in the last 3 weeks, but I don't recommend this method of weight loss.

Crab cakes . . . mmmmm. At least I can dream.

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2008, 19:58
Best crab cakes I've ever had was on a bike trip around the east coast and I stopped in here http://www.cityofcrisfield.com/

sheepdog
08-31-2008, 20:30
Don't forget a bowl of she-crab soup to go with it.

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 22:19
Just about every bushel caught here goes to the MD area. They pay top dollar.

trouthunter
09-01-2008, 00:06
Crawdad cakes. Try it. Seriously, just substitute crayfish when in the mountains.

Nearly Normal
09-01-2008, 01:44
On my last visit to New Orleans I went down to the french market to buy a few pounds of Crawfish Tail meat to take home. Product of China.
I dropped them quick. I know I'm silly but...................
The world economy sucks.
I know this won't happen but the only thing I want to see imported is coffee beans.
But I'm only Nearly Normal.

highway
09-01-2008, 04:39
I prefer Stuffed Deviled Crabs instead of crab cakes, that often come out somewhat dry. Try Stuffed Deviled Crabs instead "and you'll never look back"!

modiyooch
09-01-2008, 08:18
deviled crab is a quick way to ruin a crab cake. The problem many places have when trying to duplicate the MD crab cake is that the add too much junk. It cannot be somewhat dry if its just crabmeat and just a tad of bread to hold it together.

highway
09-01-2008, 08:28
deviled crab is a quick way to ruin a crab cake. The problem many places have when trying to duplicate the MD crab cake is that the add too much junk. It cannot be somewhat dry if its just crabmeat and just a tad of bread to hold it together.

You missed that one. 'Deviled' is not an attempt to just duplicate a Maryland crab cake, but rather a way to make it BETTER! From what I see of the multiple recipes of each, the deviled one is simpler, with less 'junk'.:D

highway
09-01-2008, 08:29
You missed that one. 'Deviled' is not an attempt to just duplicate a Maryland crab cake, but rather a way to make it BETTER! From what I see of the multiple recipes of each, the deviled one is simpler, with less 'junk'.:D

And, not only does the Deviled Crab look more like a crab, but it tasts more like one too!! So there;)

modiyooch
09-01-2008, 08:44
not compared to my crab cakes. Exactly why does the crab cake need to be improved ?

sheepdog
09-03-2008, 20:41
not compared to my crab cakes. Exactly why does the crab cake need to be improved ?
The only wat to improve a crab cake is to have it sitting on my plate.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2008, 11:18

Instead of Bread - a rue, and spices. (Barbeque)'d