PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers

Bootleg
08-02-2008, 18:56
Next week myself a coousin of mine are going to do 3 days in the Damascus area and we are still undecided on ending in Damascus or heading up and coming across Mount Rogers. We competely open to suggestion at this point, so any and all input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

GrouchoMark
08-02-2008, 20:23
I would recommend going through the Mount Rogers area. This is one of the most spectacular places in the southeast. Follow the trail from Damascus by mount Rogers and over to Wilburn Ridge. After reaching Wilburn Ridge, follow the signs to Massie Gap which is a good place to end your hike. If you wish, I believe Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus can arrange a shuttle back to Damascus.

Blissful
08-02-2008, 20:37
Check with Lone Wolf on shuttling and hiking options.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2008, 21:10
Check with Lone Wolf on shuttling and hiking options.

yes, thank you blissful, PM me and i'll set y'all up :)

Flush2wice
08-02-2008, 21:13
I usually start section hikes at elevation, and end in a town. (if that's one of the options.) More downhill than up, and cold beer and a cheeseburger at the end. In other words, I'd start at Grayson and walk to Dot's.

Plodderman
08-03-2008, 16:10
In June we went from Atkins to Damascus in five days. Could start in the Grayson Highlands and go to Damacus. That would be agreat hike.

Cool AT Breeze
08-03-2008, 18:39
All good hikes should end at Dots.

Squeamish
08-03-2008, 19:12
I just got back from my hike around the Dermascus area lasr week. The view was amazing. We started in Hurricane Campground and finished at Beartree. We took the loop around and stopped at Wise shelter. The scenery is AMAZING!!! The best that I have ever seen! The top of Mount Rogers has no view FYI. It is surrounded with trees, by there is a gold emblem on a rock at the top. The kike around there was by far the best of my hiking career. I would go back if I had the chance!!! I would highly reccomend it and I wish you good luck in your hikes!

Squeamish
08-03-2008, 19:13
oh, it took us 4 days and we had water at all but one campsite, and it was deep enough to bathe in!!!

ki0eh
08-03-2008, 20:29
OK, next question: For heading to Damascus area around Columbus Day weekend possibly, is it best to car camp with 3-2 to 5 year old girls at Backbone Rock, Grayson Highlands, or ??

Lone Wolf
08-03-2008, 20:59
OK, next question: For heading to Damascus area around Columbus Day weekend possibly, is it best to car camp with 3-2 to 5 year old girls at Backbone Rock, Grayson Highlands, or ??

Backbone Rock if not closed or at The Place hostel in town

Tennessee Viking
08-03-2008, 23:28
Bear Tree is nice. Has a small lake for swimming. Located up the mountian on US 58 east of Damascus

Roots
08-04-2008, 01:02
Massie Gap to Damascus...amazing!!!

slowandlow
08-04-2008, 09:42
Massie Gap to Damascus...amazing!!!

The best the AT in the South has to offer.

Bootleg
08-12-2008, 21:28
Thank you all for your suggestions, we finished up yesterday and it was amazing. We started at the Scales and made our way to Damascus. I was born and raised down the road in Abingdon and it took me 37 years to see the most beautiful area within driving distance. Also hats off to the Mount Rogers Trail guys, awesome job on maintaining the trail and the shelters all looked great along the way.

Hooch
08-12-2008, 21:39
Massie Gap to Damascus...amazing!!!How long is the hike from Massie Gap to Damascus? How's the elevation? Water sources? Anyone want to chime in on this? Roots? LW? Beuller?

Lone Wolf
08-12-2008, 21:42
How long is the hike from Massie Gap to Damascus? How's the elevation? Water sources? Anyone want to chime in on this? Roots? LW? Beuller?

about 30 miles, plenty of water, fairly easy hiking all the way to damascus especially if you take the creeper trail in the last 10 miles

Hooch
08-12-2008, 21:46
about 30 miles, plenty of water, fairly easy hiking all the way to damascus especially if you take the creeper trail in the last 10 milesI'm working on planning a fall hike for some time in mid-September. If I want to do this section, can you hook me up with a shuttle, LW? Where's a good place to park my car in Damascus? Sounds like a good section, so I'll definitely seriously consider this one.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2008, 21:53
I'm working on planning a fall hike for some time in mid-September. If I want to do this section, can you hook me up with a shuttle, LW? Where's a good place to park my car in Damascus? Sounds like a good section, so I'll definitely seriously consider this one.

i'll shuttle you and you park at my house of course

Hooch
08-12-2008, 22:00
i'll shuttle you and you park at my house of courseSweet. Sounds like a plan then. I'm going to go ahead and plan on doing that section then. I had thought about doing Devil Fork Gap back to Hot Springs. I was going to do that section back in July, but missed it in the confusion of my move to Charlotte. This section sounds good, can you PM me info on the Creeper or is there a good source for it on the web? I'll let you know what days as soon as I know for sure when I can get off from work to go. Thanx again, LW!

Hooch
08-15-2008, 18:16
LW, I invited D'Artagnan to join Doc and I on that hike from Massie Gap. How many folks and packs do you have room for? I'm trying to finalize plans now with Doc to do this the weekend of 12 Spetember. Are you still on for the shuttle and parking?

Hooch
08-19-2008, 22:32
Ok, so it looks like Doc isn't going to make this one. Anyone here want to join D'Artagnan and I for the hike from Massie Gap back to Damascus? The plan is to leave the morning of Friday, 12 September and be back in Damascus by Sunday afternoon 14 Spetember. Post here or shoot me a PM if you're interested. :D

Johnny Swank
08-20-2008, 15:17
Beautiful area, but lordy it's a zoo there anywhere around the weekends. Just did the AT-Creeper-Iron Mtn loop last week, and probably saw 20 folks heading up to the Thomas Knob Shelter on my way to Deep Gap on Friday evening.

Couple of things:
-Water was running pretty much everywhere
-The Iron Mtn Trail rocks, and I'd love to do it once the leaves drop. I saw 3 people all day on a Sunday. I'm a sucker for ridgeline walks.
-I was just putzing around for about 4 days, so I took the Highlands Horse Trail from Scales to near Rhodo Gap. To be honest, I preferred that route to the AT.
-The privy at the Straight Branch Shelter (Iron Mtn Trail) is in dire need of replacement. Roof is caved in, etc. I'm playing with doing some fundraising to make it happen.

-HORSEMEN: Keep your damn horses out of the %&%$)* sprigs! Carry a bucket for your oversized pets to drink out of.

Based on the damage that horses do and the lack of maintenance hours and $ the horse clubs contribute, I'd shed no tears whatsover if horses were banned from public lands.