PDA

View Full Version : AT in 3 sections: Help me find an interesting thread

DGG
08-02-2008, 21:29
Quite a while ago I saw a thread on WB.net about hiking the AT in thirds so as to see each section at, or near, its prime in terms of weather. I believe you did the middle third first, starting in April, then the northern third, and finally the southern third, ending in October. I thought I had bookmarked the thread, but I was wrong, and I haven't managed to turn it up using the search utility. Can anyone help me locate it? Many thanks, Dennis

max patch
08-02-2008, 21:59
Here is a list of alternative hikes from the ATC website. A couple of them break up the trail into thirds.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

I wouldn't do it that way -- I think there is a certain beauty to starting at one terminus and hiking straight thru to the other -- but to each his own. I hope this link has what you are looking for.

rafe
08-02-2008, 22:10
I think there is a certain beauty to starting at one terminus and hiking straight thru to the other -- but to each his own.

I can't disagree -- but there are advantages to section hiking as well. Coming up with the time for a thru-hike is a huge challenge for most folks.

DGG
08-02-2008, 22:36
Thanks, Max Patch, for the link. The last hike there, designed by Leap Frog, is what I had in mind.

Even in retirement I'll never be able to get away long enough for a thru hike, and, in all candor, I'm not sure I have the fortitude or desire to finish one. But hiking the trail in thirds, one section a year for three years, may work.

Thank you, too, to Terrapin for his encouragement.

Best wishes,
Dennis

DGG
08-02-2008, 22:37
Oops. The hike I meant to refer to was designed by Cool Breeze, not Leap Frog. Sorry about that.

Homer&Marje
08-02-2008, 22:42
I am running into a time and budget crisis for our 09 thru, plus Marje hurt the knee in Franconia and we wouldn't want to damage that for the sake of a complete thru. I have started thinking along the lines of Katahdin - Stormville NY 755 miles, Stormville to Pearisburg Va 795 mi, and Pearisburg to Springer 624 mi. But who knows we live our lives as if a pile of dust. When the wind blows throw yourself into it, and see where you land.

emerald
08-02-2008, 22:44
Figure out a way to hike the south perhaps in late spring somehow avoiding the NOBO and spring break crowds, the middle, first, anytime when it's not so blasted hot and New Hampshire and Maine after the students have gone back to school and most of the thru-hikers have finished.

I like the idea of hiking from Canada to The Maine Junction on Vermont's Long Trail and following the A.T. to Katahdin reaching it when or even slightly past when fall color peaks. You could hike this section once you get in better condition and save the best for last NOBO completing both The Long Trail and A.T.

emerald
08-03-2008, 00:26
Since I knew there was a time I seemed to be posting the words alternative itineraries frequently, I decided to see if I could retrieve my posts.

Search: (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?query=alternative+itineraries&searchuser=Shades+of+Gray&exactname=1&starteronly=0&forumchoice[]=0&childforums=1&titleonly=0&showposts=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending&replyless=0&replylimit=0&searchthreadid=0&saveprefs=0&quicksearch=0&searchtype=0&nocache=0&ajax=0&userid=0&) Key Word(s): alternative, itineraries ; Posts Made By: Shades of Gray (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=6796).

Click on Search in the line above, observe how the search criteria are entered and click on the Search Now button. My posts will display. You can then click on the thread titles to read them.

To execute another search of your own, simply change the parameters. You can PM me for more information by clicking on my screen name. I added you to my contacts list.

DGG
08-05-2008, 21:22
Thanks a lot. Those threads are very interesting. Dennis
PS. Sorry I took so long to reply.

bigcranky
08-06-2008, 16:17
In my very humble opinion, the best time to hike in the South is late fall. Start at Pearisburg around October 1, and finish at Springer in early to mid December. The only things to be careful about are water and hunting season, plus it might get a little chilly toward the end, but the weather is just about perfect for hiking. No bugs, no crowds, and fall colors almost the whole way.