PDA

View Full Version : CT outfitter

wanashunkaha
08-02-2008, 22:13
Does anyone know of an outfitter in CT they would recommend, with knowledgable staff, for purchasing boots? Considering they can make or break the hike, I want to be sure to be fitted properly. Thanks.

Tin Man
08-03-2008, 00:09
Boots or trailrunners?

For boots, there's a few EMS stores in the area and I got a deal on some boots there, but if you are looking for knowledgeable help, I would make the trip to Campmor in Paramus, NJ.

wanashunkaha
08-03-2008, 09:08
I want to stay away from the 4 +/- lb. leather boots. From what I've read, it seems like your feet will get wet no matter what. I'd prefer something that's lighter in weight and will dry more quickly than leather. I do however, need good ankle support. It seems as though there's a wide array of trailrunners that offer that feature. Also, how does it work if you're planning on using something like this? http://barebonesworkwear.com/SPENCO-Backpacker-Insoles-P602C111.aspx
Buy them, bring them with you and insert them into every pair you try?

Tin Man
08-03-2008, 09:16
definitely no leather boots. my feet and body liked me much better when I switched to a synthetic boot at 2/3 the weight, but I didn't go for the gortex - that's just a wet boot waiting an extra 10 minutes to happen

jzakhar
08-03-2008, 12:35
North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook CT is where I geared up before leaving for my thru. Great store and great people.

Poozer
08-04-2008, 14:13
Mickey Finn's on the Berlin Turnpike is a good place, there's an REI and an EMS in west hartford.