PDA

View Full Version : Overniter around Erwin?

MoodyBluer
08-03-2008, 11:05
Hello, anybody have any suggestions for sections of AT around Erwin this coming weekend?

Would like to do an overniter in the area...have already done Sam's to Spivey Gap (up and over Big Bald)...the topo map seems to be uneventful for Spivey Gap to Erwin except possibly the downhill into Erwin itself...anybody else got some ideas?

Flush2wice
08-03-2008, 11:33
Iron Mt gap or Hughes gap south to Erwin? Depends on your mileage.

ImkerVS
08-03-2008, 11:40
Iron Mountain Gap to Chestoa south bound is a good hike. About 24 miles as I remember.

My favorite hike within driving distance of Erwin is Carver's Gap North. You could start late in the day and make it to Overmountain Shelter, only about 5 or 6 miles, and the next day's hike is awesome, over the balds, maybe 11 or 12 miles to the highway, which is 91, I think.

CrumbSnatcher
08-03-2008, 13:38
THE ROAN HIGHLANDS IS SOME OF THE BEST THE TRAIL HAS TO OFFER. 19#E SOUTH ALL THE WAY TO SAMS GAP IS A GREAT CHOICE!!! have a great time.

Tennessee Viking
08-03-2008, 19:29
Indian Grave Gap to Erwin & Spivey Gap to Erwin can be done in day hikes. Your best option is Iron Mtn Gap to Erwin (crossing over Unaka Mtn) for an overnight hike. Stay at Beauty Spot. Or make camp at Cherry Gap then tackle everything else the next day.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2008, 11:21
longest stretch of balds in the entire appalachians.( hughes gap to 19#e 18.5 miles)stay at over mtn. shelter.:) roan mtn., carvers gap,round bald,jane bald,grassy ridge,over mtn. shelter,little hump,hump mtn., doll flats. alot of good trail packed into a day or day1/2 of hiking. just a little north of erwin. (don't park at 19#e) over mtn. shelter is one of the best on the trail, good water source lots of flat grassy tent sites also. whatever you choose have a great time...

MoodyBluer
08-04-2008, 19:26
Iron Mountain Gap to Chestoa south bound is a good hike. About 24 miles as I remember.

My favorite hike within driving distance of Erwin is Carver's Gap North. You could start late in the day and make it to Overmountain Shelter, only about 5 or 6 miles, and the next day's hike is awesome, over the balds, maybe 11 or 12 miles to the highway, which is 91, I think.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions...I want to walk Carvers Gap to 19-E but time and circumstances may require just a day hike from Spivey Gap to Erwin...could probably day hike Carver's to 19-E in one day but it would be a long one and I want to enjoy that section...it sounds like a great stretch.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2008, 20:25
spivey to erwin is a nice hike! you follow and cross ogelsby branch(water source)slab around a couple mtns. and a nice view heading down to the nolichucky river have a good time moody blue P.S. i thought over mtn. had a side trail leading to a parking lot?/road could be wrong

Flush2wice
08-04-2008, 23:34
spivey to erwin is a nice hike! you follow and cross ogelsby branch(water source)slab around a couple mtns. and a nice view heading down to the nolichucky river have a good time moody blue P.S. i thought over mtn. had a side trail leading to a parking lot?/road could be wrong
Yes it does- Roaring Creek Road off of 19E about 3 miles south of Minneapolis, NC. Take it to the top where there's a small parking area. Walk past the gate uphill about a half mile to the Overmountain shelter. This cuts the Carver's Gap to 19E hike about in half. If you do the northern part, I would hike south from 19E to Overmountain/Roaring Creek. If you do the southern part, I would start at Carvers and hike north to end up at Overmountain/Roaring Creek.