PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65 frame removal?

grayfox
08-03-2008, 13:08
My Osprey pack is great except that with loads greater than 25 lbs, like starting out with food and water, the frame hurts my hips/back. Also the top of the pack leans away from my shoulders. I was wondering if anyone has removed the frame from their pack and what the result was. If I take it out, what material would be good to insert to add some shape and support to the bag? Would my sleeping pad work? I like the pack when the load is light. Any advice or experience in frame removal or modification would be appreciated.

taildragger
08-03-2008, 13:15
My Osprey pack is great except that with loads greater than 25 lbs, like starting out with food and water, the frame hurts my hips/back. Also the top of the pack leans away from my shoulders. I was wondering if anyone has removed the frame from their pack and what the result was. If I take it out, what material would be good to insert to add some shape and support to the bag? Would my sleeping pad work? I like the pack when the load is light. Any advice or experience in frame removal or modification would be appreciated.

25 seems light for it to hurt. How are you packin?

Bearpaw
08-03-2008, 13:28

It's nearly a universal truth that frameless packs are made for light loads. If you think it hurts now above 25 pounds, just wait for the three pieces the shoulder straps will cleave down through your torso when virtually none of its weight is supported at the hips.

My thought is to work with the straps you currently have. Are you using the load lifter straps (the ones that connect to the shoulder straps on top of your shoulder)? Where do they connect to your shoulder straps. They will slide forward or backward along the webbing where they connect to the strap. They should be 1-2 inches forward from dead on top of your shoulder when you wear the pack. Then if you tighten them from the top, they should adjust the pack's center of gravity closer to you. I would try this first before removing the frame sheet and stays.

Also look at how you are packing your pack. Do your best to place heavier items (like your water bladder) close to the back. Try not to place your heaviest items on the very top like you would with an external frame pack.

If this is still a problem, take it to the outfitter where you bought qand verify you have the right torso length. This could also dramatically affect the way it carries.

If it STILL isn't right, get a different pack. Removing the frame, and especially the stays will make this pack a monkey beating you to death with each step unless you are keeping loads below 20 pounds.

Heater
08-03-2008, 15:53
Heavier items closer to your back. Not closer to the back of your pack.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-03-2008, 16:33
Check the link, maybe the stays haven't been curved. I had my Deuter stays fitted when I bought it and it carries like a dream.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/SizingandFitting/

Cuffs
08-03-2008, 20:36
GF, I have both the 50 and 65... While the 50 rides great even up towards 35#, the 65 hurts my hips too and it does not matter how much or little weight is in it...

The stays for the Atmos are curved... they incorporated the air flow area by using the curved stays...

Im hoping to sell my 65 here real soon and moving to a ULA pack.

grayfox
08-04-2008, 10:37
Thanks for confirming my experience! I also have the 50--which is comfortable even with 35 pounds. I bought the same frame size 65 because I wanted more space for early spring and late fall. I want to do some longer hikes next summer and thought the extra space would be useful. I think that the center of gravity for the larger pack is higher and farther away from my back--not a whole lot different but just enough that the curved frame digs in at just the wrong angle.

Poozer
08-04-2008, 14:10
I have the atmos 65 and have no problems with it. I've never carried more than 35lbs however, but have never had any painful issues. It took me a few miles of hiking to get it adjusted to how I like it, but once I did it was fantastic.

Cuffs
08-04-2008, 20:21
Thanks for confirming my experience! I also have the 50--which is comfortable even with 35 pounds. I bought the same frame size 65 because I wanted more space for early spring and late fall. I want to do some longer hikes next summer and thought the extra space would be useful. I think that the center of gravity for the larger pack is higher and farther away from my back--not a whole lot different but just enough that the curved frame digs in at just the wrong angle.

Thats exactly why I bought it too! I dont know why, but it just does not ride the same as the 50... Im keeping my 50, but looking at the ULA Catalyst for larger loads (spring/fall hiking)

hootyhoo
08-05-2008, 20:02
I have never thought the 50 was comfortable above 30. If I am correct then some folks might be misled and unpleasantly suprised if they get one and pack that much in it. I posted a similar frame removal question some years ago and was, wisely, advised not to do it. Trust me pack is worth more now than it will be after you modify it.

My advice - sell that pack as soon as you can and get something else. Your post should have read ''I have a very uncomfortable pack - what should I do?'' Try that post first. Then proceed as you see fit.

tanzer2250
08-05-2008, 20:18
I have used the 65 very comfortably with loads in the 30's. The wieght sits comfortably on my hips and was adjusted so that there was very little wieght on my shoulders. I adjust the straps to keep the pack close to my back. I used it on a 3 day rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon in April with only good things to say. Very comfortable. If you can not get it adjusted to feel comfortable, it seems like it may simply be the wrong pack for your body.