PDA

View Full Version : New BMT Topo Maps

Mr. Parkay
08-03-2008, 15:16
Hello,

I have just spent the last few days creating a set of topo maps for the BMT. The maps are mostly based on data from the google earth file that I created last year.

Here is a link to what I have done so far... which is basically a rough draft:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/BMTTopoMaps

There are 36 maps in total... each about 1 MB in size. The maps were created using Public Domain USGS topo quads, so they can be distributed freely without restriction.

My plan is to add more information and labels to the maps when I get a chance. Also, there are certainly mistakes which will need to be corrected... in particular I'm not sure if I got the position right for some of the campsites in the smokies.

There's a lot of room for improvement with the maps... so let me know if there are any suggestions.

Hope you everyone likes the maps!

--Mr. Parkay

Phreak
08-03-2008, 15:21
You're a stud! Thanks for the maps.

Tipi Walter
08-03-2008, 17:14
Better scale than the National G yellow-highlighted map, similar to some of the BMTA maps. That's alot of work organizing and putting them on the web. I'm assuming I'd have to copy each map with my printer? Thanks for the work.

Egads
08-03-2008, 17:47
Nice work:D

Thanks for the effort. I'll be sure and put the maps to use this fall.

Skidsteer
08-03-2008, 17:49
Thank you very much Mr. Parkay.

Ghosthiker
08-03-2008, 19:45
I too, thank you. Great job on the maps. Hope to use some of them, soon.

greentick
08-03-2008, 20:22
Thanks man!

SGT Rock
08-04-2008, 22:41
Outstanding work. Do you have a higher resolution set available?

generoll
08-05-2008, 06:25
Ditto to Rocks question. Is there a way to make the maps larger? Great work in any case and thanks for you efforts and your information on different sections of the trail.

Mr. Parkay
08-05-2008, 15:17
Hey guys,
Thanks for letting me know about the quality issues.

It will take some time, but I can definitely create a higher resolution set of maps.

The maps currently online are 1 megabyte jpeg files .... which have been downgraded from 65 megabyte tif files. The issue will be to find some place in between where the quality is good, but the file size isn't enormous.

I'll post a test file pretty soon... with higher resolution, so that you guys can see if the new resolution is high enough... If so, I'll eventually re-create all of maps with the higher resolution. It might take a while though, since it will require quite a bit of reformatting.

SGT Rock
08-05-2008, 15:27
Hey guys,
Thanks for letting me know about the quality issues.

It will take some time, but I can definitely create a higher resolution set of maps.

The maps currently online are 1 megabyte jpeg files .... which have been downgraded from 65 megabyte tif files. The issue will be to find some place in between where the quality is good, but the file size isn't enormous.

I'll post a test file pretty soon... with higher resolution, so that you guys can see if the new resolution is high enough... If so, I'll eventually re-create all of maps with the higher resolution. It might take a while though, since it will require quite a bit of reformatting.
If you want to send me one of the originals, I can play with it. I've got Corel Photo Paint and have some experience playing with images to try and get them in the best format for the data presented. Sometimes JPG is not the best format for the image you are using - sometimes GIF or BMP are better.

Mr. Parkay
08-05-2008, 15:47
hello again,

here's a sample with about 2x higher resolution: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/BMTTestMaps?authkey=iwrJAAhDk0c

this results in which is about 4mb... let me know what you think.

Thanks for the offer Sgt rock, I should be able to get the resolution right without too much trouble though. However, if you ever want the actual data or basemaps that I used to create the maps, just let me know and I'll send it to you. It might be useful if you want to include topo's with the databook, or any other projects that you may be working on.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 15:54
Sweet.

Thanks, Mr. Parkay. Your maps of the Pinhoti rock. Can't wait to take some time to look at your new BMT maps.

SGT Rock
08-05-2008, 16:11
Man if you are interested in helping with that project it would be great. The maps from Springer to near Big Frog are terrible. I'd like to make sure there was a map pack with the guide for that section.

Mr. Parkay
08-08-2008, 10:14
Man if you are interested in helping with that project it would be great. The maps from Springer to near Big Frog are terrible. I'd like to make sure there was a map pack with the guide for that section.

Hey Sgt Rock,
Yeah, I'd like to make a contribution to Guide Book Project if I can. I should be able to help with just about anything map related. However, it might be a week or two before I can work on it... since I want to finish a new set of pinhoti maps before I get back to working on BMT stuff.... By the way, I'm planning on creating a full set of Elevation profiles for both the pinhoti and BMT, so that also might be useful for the databook/MapPack Project.

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 10:52
By the way, I'm planning on creating a full set of Elevation profiles for both the pinhoti...

Between that, and a split-into-3 parts of the Flagg Mtn. - Bull Gap new map, you've got plenty on your plate yet that I'm very much looking forward to. (Office Max wants 32 bucks for a readable size print of the combo one, vs. the 99 cents for the standard ones.) :( Need a contribution to your beer fund or something? You're really helping out my upcoming Pinhoti hike.

SGT Rock
08-09-2008, 15:04
Hey Sgt Rock,
Yeah, I'd like to make a contribution to Guide Book Project if I can. I should be able to help with just about anything map related. However, it might be a week or two before I can work on it... since I want to finish a new set of pinhoti maps before I get back to working on BMT stuff.... By the way, I'm planning on creating a full set of Elevation profiles for both the pinhoti and BMT, so that also might be useful for the databook/MapPack Project.

You don't have to do anything that I can think of, just give me permission to use what you have made. I'll download it and stich it together how I need it to be for the guidebook. If I need to get back to you on anything I will...

The guidebook is sort of stalled for now until we walk it for our own mileage data notes. We are trying to totally seperate from the BMTA on this project.

Mr. Parkay
08-09-2008, 21:19
You don't have to do anything that I can think of, just give me permission to use what you have made. I'll download it and stich it together how I need it to be for the guidebook. If I need to get back to you on anything I will...

The guidebook is sort of stalled for now until we walk it for our own mileage data notes. We are trying to totally seperate from the BMTA on this project.

Hey Rock, you definitely have my permission to use the maps in any way you see fit. My goal is just to get the information to the hikers in any way possible... I'll probably set up a web site one of these days to host all of my mapping stuff, but it would of course be good have things included in a guide book as well.. so people don't have to print out everything themselves if they don't want to.

Also, if you want to include elevation profiles... just let me know. I'm about to post a link to a huge elevation profile for the BMT (not printable)... but eventually I'll create printable versions with might be of some use for your project.

rootball
11-04-2008, 19:18
Not just a Stud -- The Stud!!

Thanks very much for your work and effort.