PDA

View Full Version : How do women really feel about men in Kilts?

Captn
08-03-2008, 16:44
Give us your honest opinion of men hiking in Kilts

Bearpaw
08-03-2008, 17:04
One philosophy on hiking in a kilt: http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/7c/77/e4eb_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Its-a-Kilt-If-I-wore-something-under-it-2XL-5XL_W0QQitemZ170168541479QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15687Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Bearpaw
08-03-2008, 17:08
And one for the ladies...http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-13942113699170_2012_9214602

Jimmers
08-03-2008, 20:25
Kilt? What's a kilt?

Oh, you must mean those oversized versions of Catholic school girl skirts. I guess they're ok. If you're a girl.

I kid, I kid:):D

Really, I don't mind them at all. Just please, if you're gonna wear one properly, take some lessons on how to sit correctly. Maybe from a girl. I hike to see the sights, just not those sights!:eek:

shoe
08-03-2008, 20:25
I'm a woman and could care less what other people choose to hike in.

Blissful
08-03-2008, 20:43
I'm a woman and could care less what other people choose to hike in.

Well, I care...they have to hike in something!! :D

Jason of the Woods
08-03-2008, 20:45
My Lady picked mine out so I guess she likes it. I don't hike in pants anymore.;)

tiptoe
08-03-2008, 21:38
I'm with Shoe on this one. Why would anyone care what other people choose to wear?

cavscout
08-03-2008, 23:57
For educational purposes, men should not sit like women in a kilt. Talk about nut-cracker! For guys who can't grasp the concept of a kilt....Sac up and grow a pair. Kilts aren't for everyone though. Form follows function.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2008, 00:56
i don't see guys wearing kilts on the trail. i see skirts. big difference

Roots
08-04-2008, 01:01
What is the big deal? Good for the men!

Red Hat
08-04-2008, 03:44
Kilts are okay, not a big deal, but I do prefer that some of the men learn to sit a little more modestly in them....

Mrs Baggins
08-04-2008, 06:55
I'm a woman and LOVE a man in a kilt! :D I find it to be THE sexiest thing a guy could wear, any guy. We're going to Scotland at the end of the month and you better believe my husband will be buying a real honest to goodness kilt, hang the cost!!

Animal Cracker
08-04-2008, 08:05
Kilts are fine. Nothing wrong with representing one's Scottish heritage with some family plaid.

Tilly
08-04-2008, 08:47
Seeing guys in a kilt doesn't bother me...except

I told my bf that under no circumstances can he hike in a kilt--rain skirt excepting. This is mostly due to the fact that I hike in a skirt and we both used to hike in Chacos (I wear TR's now) and I just didn't want us to look like trail twins.

budforester
08-04-2008, 09:09
Happy Kilt Day, BTW:

http://www.kiltday.com/

Blue Jay
08-04-2008, 09:19
I very surprised that there are now 19 males who are too insecure about their manhood to even consider wearing a skirt. Guys, grow a pair.

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 11:23
Happy Kilt Day, BTW:

http://www.kiltday.com/

Back at ya! It helps to be a big, burly Scot-Irish b*st*rd I suppose. Nobody's ever sneered or mocked me for wearing mine. Maybe they were worried I'd beat the daylights out of them when I'm really a pretty mellow guy.

I usually get flirts from ladies. And men ask me where my caber (throwing log) is hiding. :D

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 11:24

Hey Lone Wolf, I'll wear my man-skirt for you at SORUCK.;)

NICKTHEGREEK
08-04-2008, 11:37
For educational purposes, men should not sit like women in a kilt. Talk about nut-cracker! For guys who can't grasp the concept of a kilt....Sac up and grow a pair. Kilts aren't for everyone though. Form follows function.
You might have a nut fixation, but pray tell what function follows the form?

Jim Adams
08-04-2008, 12:20
I wear my kilt to the local bar every month for their "Full Moon Parties" that way...even if its cloudy...we have a full moon!

geek

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2008, 12:26
you wear it for yourself not for others:)

senache
08-04-2008, 12:35
5,116,900 Scotsmen can't be wrong! Not to mention the Irish who wear them.

Jim Adams
08-04-2008, 12:36
5,116,900 Scotsmen can't be wrong! Not to mention the Irish who wear them.

...and the Welsh!

geek

Captn
08-04-2008, 12:50
we have 12 to 1 for women in favor of men in Kilts and 2 to 1 against from men on whether men should wear kilts.

Interesting.

I wonder if those voting against recognize that the first pants were actually hose pulled up and attached to a doublet (kind of like a big garter belt)

So when you put on pants you are actually wearing the modern day equivilant of a garter belt and hose???

The Cheat
08-04-2008, 12:58
we have 12 to 1 for women in favor of men in Kilts and 2 to 1 against from men on whether men should wear kilts.

Interesting.

I wonder if those voting against recognize that the first pants were actually hose pulled up and attached to a doublet (kind of like a big garter belt)

So when you put on pants you are actually wearing the modern day equivilant of a garter belt and hose???

Now, that's funny.

But the poll is faulty. There needs to be a "I'm a man and I've never tried a kilt so have no preference" or something like that.

jesse
08-04-2008, 13:08

The question to women refers to men in general, the question to men is specific to the individual. I am with the majority of men. I think if most women saw me in a kilt they would vote no to men in kilts.

max patch
08-04-2008, 13:11
Real men don't eat quiche. Or wear kilts.

cavscout
08-04-2008, 13:46
we have 12 to 1 for women in favor of men in Kilts and 2 to 1 against

I'll take those odds :)

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 14:00
Real men don't eat quiche. Or wear kilts.

I beg to differ:
http://www.sportkilt.com/ezcart/products/T_RM_B.jpg

And other responses for the haters....

http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/d6/62/0633_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tired-of-being-asked-if-U-play-the-bagpipes-kilt-s-xl_W0QQitemZ170183664908QQihZ007QQcategoryZ112424Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262# ebayphotohosting) http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ca/27/1823_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Im-Half-Irish-Half-Scottish-T-shirt-S-XL_W0QQitemZ170180926576QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15687QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#e bayphotohosting)

skinny minnie
08-04-2008, 14:06
Hey, whatever tickles your pickle. Although they leave me a bit underwhelmed.

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 14:08
One admission however, if you want to get a hitch, it's worth switching into shorts....:cool:

Jason of the Woods
08-04-2008, 14:34
One admission however, if you want to get a hitch, it's worth switching into shorts....:cool:

I have gotten many hitches in mine. Even in the Redneck South!:eek:

Bearpaw
08-04-2008, 14:37

Good to know!!

Jason of the Woods
08-04-2008, 14:41
We preach about the benefits for good reason. As I've said before I only wish that I would have thought of it years ago.

d'shadow
08-04-2008, 15:10
It is up to the man wearing a kilt. I do find a man in one very attractive. However, it is more important the a man is comfortable wearing what he prefers, not what he thinks someone else might like.:rolleyes:

Footslogger
08-04-2008, 15:20
When I wore mine in 2003 the only strange stares I got were in Gatlinburg. Don't know how I would have managed to hike much further if I hadn't gotten one. The chafe was eating me alive :eek:

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
08-04-2008, 15:30

Interesting.

Or maybe just a roman toga take off.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-04-2008, 15:32
Hear any banjos????

Plodderman
08-04-2008, 15:39
Not going to happen.

JAK
08-04-2008, 16:02
I think if you go regimental in a kilt you are supposed to wear an extra long shirt, like almost to the knee. Not sure, but that's what I would do, so when you take the Kilt off at night to use it as a blanket for sleeping under you are basically wearing a night shirt. The best material for such a shirt becomes an issue. I would say wool again, but light in weight and in colour. I think in ancient times these were dyed saffron. I would think they would be made of linen, from flax of course. I would think that linen would suffer similar consequences to cotton when wet. Not sure. Moot point if unavailable.

My choice for a shirt when hiking with a kilt would be a shirt made of a blend of cashmere and silk, dyed saffron and cut long to just above the knee. Might not be easy to find such material.

cavscout
08-04-2008, 16:42
Now the question for the XX number of guys who "wouldn't be caught dead in a kilt", why? Because girls wear skirts? Pretty illogical statement if that's the reason. I see more girls in pants than skirts.

If you respond that kilts aren't functional/practical in the outdoors, How do you know? Have you worn one?

There's no good reason not to wear a kilt unless you feel that following the firmly trod path that society has told you to is the only way to go. I'm not saying theirs anything wrong with choosing to wear pants (if you want to be uncomfortable go ahead) but for someone to say that choosing to wear a kilt is wrong is simply foolish.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v604/XJPAUL/X%20Marks/Celeb/Sports/

http://www.kiltmen.com/photogallery4.htm

cavscout
08-04-2008, 16:53
A point that should be clarified is that the kilt has evolved over the years. Today, when a person says they are wearing a kilt, it does not necessarily mean they are wearing a 16 oz., worsted wool, high waisted, knife pleated kilt with 2 buckle son one side and 1 buckle on the other.

There are several kilt makers who are working in a Poly Viscus material that looks and feels like worsted wool but is a synthetic fabric with a Teflon coating and velcro waist closure. They are making them in 4 yard knife pleats or box pleats depending on the look you want. The P/V material dries quickly and stays cool in hot weather and because the pleats add layers for trapping heat, they are warmer than many think a kilt would be.

I wear a polyester t-shirt in hot weather with my P/V kilt and am very comfortable in the hot southern summers.

woodsy
08-04-2008, 17:12
No kilts for me, but I like a loincloth on summer hikes, breathes alot better :D
http://www.geocities.com/songdogmi/lcphotos/icon_buckskin.jpg

jesse
08-04-2008, 17:36
... for someone to say that choosing to wear a kilt is wrong is simply foolish.

Nobody said it was wrong. The question was, "wouldn't be caught dead in one"
Women use to have to wear dresses/skirts, to work, school, etc. Now they have a choice, they wear pants a lot more than skirts. I rarely see women wearing skirts on the trail. If skirts are superior to pants, why don't more women wear them hiking.
Kilts are more about fashion, than function. They're not for me.

Jim Adams
08-04-2008, 17:51
Women use to have to wear dresses/skirts, to work, school, etc. Now they have a choice, they wear pants a lot more than skirts. I rarely see women wearing skirts on the trail. If skirts are superior to pants, why don't more women wear them hiking.

Kilts are TOTALLY about function...fashion has very little to do with it. I sometimes wear pants, sometimes wear shorts but if there is any chance of being chaifed, I wear my kilts everytime. Probably the most comfortable and functional piece of hiking clothing that I own. If you don't like the comfort of a kilt...you probably haven't tried one.:-?

geek

cavscout
08-04-2008, 21:19

Perhaps a lady could give the reason more women don't wear skirts on the trail. But I imagine it's not because the skirt is uncomfortable. Daily office fashion is not a good measure of a practical garment. Womens office wear is more directed by appearance than function (form fitted, thin so it requires panty hose,...)

One reason could be though that many womens skirts do not have the pleats that a kilt does (which is one characteristic that makes it a kilt by the way) to provide the added flexibility, ventilation and unrestricted space. The skirts I've seen on the trail are usually non-pleated, calve length straight or bell shaped skirts.

Another reason women may not is they don't realize the benefits that men do because of the anatomical differences. If women had to deal with "extra baggage", they would likely value the benefits of skirts. Then again they might and they just choose to keep it to themselves and let guys continue to suffer through pants.

With the contemporary innovations to kilts, prices have come down so that instead of the $600 to $800 (or more) that used to have to be paid for a heavy weight 8 yard wool kilt, you can now buy a perfect hiking kilt for a little over $100 dollars or even less if you are willing to go with acrylic fabric.

Wilson
08-04-2008, 21:30

Thats what I was wondering about from the first post...never seen a woman hiking in anything but shorts or pants.

You would think that a woman would know whats best to use, since they actually grow up wearing both.

Marta
08-04-2008, 21:34
Reasons not to wear a skirt while hiking:

1) Inner thigh chafing

2) More difficult to sit on the ground without exposure

3) Exposure problem while scrambling, climbing steps, etc.

The biggie for me is #1. Maybe I will someday reach a state of emaciation where thigh chafing will not be a problem, but until then, I'll be wearing shorts or tights.

PS--My vote is that I don't care what other hikers wear.

Erin
08-04-2008, 22:06
I am a woman, saw kilts on the trail and thought, great idea. All the guys I saw wearing them were obviously comfortable in their own skin...uh, kilt. I now have a khaki skirt to wear. It is very cool, flexible and ventilated. Mine is a Columbia skirt I got for 14 dollars on clearance at Bass Pro. I am short so it is modest. I have worn it on trips to tropical areas for normal dress also. But it took awhile to find one that fit comfortably and frankly the idea never crossed my mind until I saw it on the trail.
My mother, who grew up in the no AC home and business, always told me a skirt was cooler than pants or shorts and she was right. It took me 45 years to realize that.

Marta
08-05-2008, 07:15
...My mother, who grew up in the no AC home and business, always told me a skirt was cooler than pants or shorts...

Maybe. When I was living in Russia, I wore slightly below-the-knee wool skirts because they trapped in the warmth. They were warmer than slacks. OTOH, when I'm in a hot place, a loose searsucker sundress is about the coolest possible thing to wear.

But when I'm hiking, wicking shorts keep me less sweaty than a skirt.

I think you hit the nail on the head, though--you have to find the right combination of fit and fabric for your body.

TOW
08-05-2008, 08:45
Yep! They may as well be dressed in full drag.........:D

cavscout
08-05-2008, 09:01
Thank you ladies for your comments.

So what I'm hearing is that thigh chaffing and modesty are the main reasons more experienced skirt wearers don't wear them on the trail, otherwise they probably would wear them more often.

Thigh chaffing is easily resolved by using a lite coat of Body Glide.

Modesty is maintained by wearing a kilt of the proper length. Kilts aren't worn like a mini-skirt. The hem is typically worn just above the top of the knee cap. There should be enough fabric in the front aprons to allow the kilt to drape down between the legs when sitting and still you would want to give the front a quick "chop" with your hand when squatting to maintain the mystery. The "chop" becomes instinctual very quickly.

True you don't have to do a "chop" in shorts, but in a kilt you don't have to pull it up in back after or have a crotch seam cut you in half after squatting. Yo also won't have a sweaty pair of short legs clinging to your thighs and restricting your legs where you have to give them a quick tug up before squatting.

A few recommended options for hiking kilts at good prices and easy to order:

http://www.sportkilt.com/departments/mens-sport-kilts/hiking-kilt-casual-kilt~1.cfm?afid=1003

http://www.usakilts.com/offtherack.php

and these are a great price but being made from acrylic are a bit warmer than the PV and microfiber.

http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/kilts.html

Gumbi
08-05-2008, 12:45
I am not Scottish or Irish, hence, no kilt for me.

minnesotasmith
08-05-2008, 13:15
Now the question for the XX number of guys who "wouldn't be caught dead in a kilt", why? Because girls wear skirts? Pretty illogical statement if that's the reason. I see more girls in pants than skirts.

If you respond that kilts aren't functional/practical in the outdoors, How do you know? Have you worn one?

There's no good reason not to wear a kilt unless you feel that following the firmly trod path that society has told you to is the only way to go. I'm not saying theirs anything wrong with choosing to wear pants (if you want to be uncomfortable go ahead) but for someone to say that choosing to wear a kilt is wrong is simply foolish.

I think that a man wearing a "manskirt" out in public fits into our culture
about as well as would bright red manlipstick, man fishnet stockings, man stilletto-heeled pumps, etc. Getting those soon, too? ;)

mudhead
08-05-2008, 13:18
Now I want two of those manskirts.

She better hide the other stuff.

Marta
08-05-2008, 13:29
Thigh chaffing is easily resolved by using a lite coat of Body Glide...

...There should be enough fabric in the front aprons to allow the kilt to drape down between the legs when sitting and still you would want to give the front a quick "chop" with your hand when squatting to maintain the mystery. The "chop" becomes instinctual very quickly.

Body Glide works well, but I prefer to use cloth. I usually choose shell clothing and head nets over bug spray, and long sleeves, long pants, and a broad-brimmed hat over sunscreen, too. There's a pattern there.

As far as body movements becoming instinctual...remember the scene in Tom Sawyer where the truth comes out that a boy is pretending to be a girl? Someone throws something towards the boy's lap and he clamps his legs together to catch it. A girl would have used her skirt to make a basket.

I agree with many of the previous posters about kilt and skirt wearing men needing some lessons in how to move while wearing them.

Wilson
08-05-2008, 14:31
Just heard on the radio that the latest style coming out of France is skirts for men.
So that trend will show up in your U.S. metropolitan cities in the next year or so.

mudhead
08-05-2008, 14:33
Now I don't want one.

Jason of the Woods
08-05-2008, 14:33
about as well as would bright red manlipstick, man fishnet stockings, man stilletto-heeled pumps, etc. Getting those soon, too? ;)

And the huge square frame glasses that you seem to wear in the pics that I've seen are so much a part of our culture.?:D

Bearpaw
08-05-2008, 14:55

I have to admit, you know about how to accessorize as a hiker...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/0/9/4/AT014.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12619&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=16625)

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 15:11
We all knew that was coming, didn't we?

cavscout
08-05-2008, 15:20
Some of you may know Haiku
http://www.d1004105.mydomainwebhost.com/applications/Gallery/albums/at/2004_03_15_03_Captain_Hook_Haiku_MoonPie_entering_ GSMNP.jpg

http://www.d1004105.mydomainwebhost.com/applications/Gallery/albums/at/2004_03_18_02_Hiking_in_the_snow.jpg

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 15:21
I must be out of the loop on that. What's special about Haiku?

cavscout
08-05-2008, 15:42
Haiku thru-hiked in '04 in a kilt. He's also completed the PCT and the CDT (he might still be finishing the CDT). Other than that, he's wearing a kilt. photo submitted for a visual comparison.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 15:49
Cav, the only photo (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2894&catid=searchresults&searchid=16632) I find of Haiku on WhiteBlaze doesn't conclusively show Haiku in a photo.

cavscout
08-05-2008, 15:55
Not sure of your point. The two photos I posted above, the one you posted and the one right next to the one you posted in the gallery that shows Haiku as the only person in the photo.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 15:57
We must have a wire crossed; not seeing any links in Post #65. What am I missing?

cavscout
08-05-2008, 16:05
The photos I posted were in post #63 You can go to his web site if it's not showing up

http://www.breecher.com/blog/

His journals are a very good read as well

http://www.trailjournals.com/haiku_cdt/

Dances with Mice
08-05-2008, 16:12
Cav, the only photo (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2894&catid=searchresults&searchid=16632) I find of Haiku on WhiteBlaze doesn't conclusively show Haiku in a photo.Put the glass down and step away from the cognac.

Footslogger
08-05-2008, 16:37
We must have a wire crossed; not seeing any links in Post #65. What am I missing?
=======================

Lay off the ganja and undrinkium !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 16:38
=======================

Lay off the ganja and undrinkium !!

'SloggerSadly, no supplies of either in my orbit. :mad:

NICKTHEGREEK
08-05-2008, 16:48
Isn't there a single malt scotch called Old Kiltstain?

Footslogger
08-05-2008, 17:02
Sadly, no supplies of either in my orbit. :mad:
===========================

That's what is commonly called a "solvable problem"

'Slogger

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 17:45
===========================

That's what is commonly called a "solvable problem"

'SloggerMmmm, yes and no. Kinda tapering off of both items for a while for health reasons.

At this point my only remaining sins are WhiteBlaze and coffee. I am SOOOOO bored.

Footslogger
08-05-2008, 17:55
Mmmm, yes and no. Kinda tapering off of both items for a while for health reasons.

At this point my only remaining sins are WhiteBlaze and coffee. I am SOOOOO bored.

===================================

Well ...in the greater scheme of things I would say you were pretty "sin free" then.

As for the health related cut-backs ...I can totally relate !!

'Slogger

Marta
08-05-2008, 18:00
Mmmm, yes and no. Kinda tapering off of both items for a while for health reasons.

Sounds like you need to spend some quality time in the gym. Or go hiking...

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 18:06
Sounds like you need to spend some quality time in the gym. Or go hiking...Odd you should mention that. Just got back from Yosemite and about to head out to the gym.

However, I will not be wearing a kilt at the gym.

Skidsteer
08-05-2008, 18:11
Odd you should mention that. Just got back from Yosemite and about to head out to the gym.

However, I will not be wearing a kilt at the gym.

Thank goodness.

That would draw a crowd at the leg curl station.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 18:15
Yeah, but judging by the poll results the women might get a kick out of it. :-?

saimyoji
08-05-2008, 18:49

from your second link
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v604/XJPAUL/X%20Marks/Celeb/Sports/th_DuncanFerguson.jpg

:banana

Frosty
08-05-2008, 20:00
I very surprised that there are now 19 males who are too insecure about their manhood to even consider wearing a skirt. Guys, grow a pair.Ha ha. Nice try, but choosing not to wear a skirt has nothing to do with insecurity about manhood, any more than if you don't wear frilly lace panties and lipstick then YOU confused about YOUR manhood. (Apologies if you do wear lipstick and lace panties. Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Why do you say that people who DON'T wear skirts need to grow a pair? Most people who have a pair wear pants. Most people who do not have a pair wear skirts. Simple fact. Pick out a thousand skirt wearing people in this country at random and almost all would be lacking a pair. Maybe one or two might involve industrial accidents or skinny dipping in a pond inhabited by snapping turtles, but most skirt wearers were born sans cajones, to mix metaphors and languages.

OTOH, I know there are certain bars in every large city where people who have a pair were skirts, bras, etc etc.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. A little weird for me, though. Wandered into a bar like that in Providence RI by accident and found that most of those guys looked better than most of the women I know.

Still, I'll stick to pants, thank you.

Frosty
08-05-2008, 20:08
How do you know? Have you worn one?I believe that I can make judgments of what I prefer not to do without doing it first, and simply do not subscribe to your philosphy that you don't know until you try.

I understand that you feel differently, though, and that you do believe "how do you know you don't like it if you don't try it first?"

So, my question to you is, "Would you enjoy having sex with barnyard animals?" and if not, ummm.... never mind, I don't want to know :D

cavscout
08-05-2008, 21:45
OTOH, I know there are certain bars in every large city where people who have a pair were skirts, bras, etc etc.

most of those guys looked better than most of the women I know.

So, my question to you is, "Would you enjoy having sex with barnyard animals?" and if not, ummm.... never mind, I don't want to know :D

Sounds like you already know enough.

Captn
08-05-2008, 22:32
Ha ha. Nice try, but choosing not to wear a skirt has nothing to do with insecurity about manhood, any more than if you don't wear frilly lace panties and lipstick then YOU confused about YOUR manhood. (Apologies if you do wear lipstick and lace panties. Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Why do you say that people who DON'T wear skirts need to grow a pair? Most people who have a pair wear pants. Most people who do not have a pair wear skirts. Simple fact. Pick out a thousand skirt wearing people in this country at random and almost all would be lacking a pair. Maybe one or two might involve industrial accidents or skinny dipping in a pond inhabited by snapping turtles, but most skirt wearers were born sans cajones, to mix metaphors and languages.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. A little weird for me, though. Wandered into a bar like that in Providence RI by accident and found that most of those guys looked better than most of the women I know.

Still, I'll stick to pants, thank you.

Post Deleted

Dances with Mice
08-05-2008, 23:49
Great thread!

It proves you don't have to wear a kilt to show your ass.

Jimmers
08-06-2008, 00:16
Great thread!

It proves you don't have to wear a kilt to show your ass.

But apparently it does make people want to show it off more.:cool:

So to summarize: this thread began talking about what women think about kilts, moved on to arguing their pros/cons, and has now devolved to people with no visible sense of humor throwing around accusations of racism based on opinions about kilts.

Awesome! Who needs politics? And where's my popcorn?

Nearly Normal
08-06-2008, 01:11
Give us your honest opinion of men hiking in Kilts

Who gives a ****.

Odd Thomas
08-06-2008, 03:14
http://www.improvresourcecenter.com/mb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Let's get out of these ladies clothes and into our tights!

Captn
08-06-2008, 10:13
Post Deleted

<----- Proving once again that alcohol and computers don't mix.

Anyone got any asprin?

Appologies Frosty for the lack of humor and the undeserved harshness ....... had to have been the Scotch in me ..... :)

I was WAY out of line.

Caution ... objects dowsed in Scotch may appear larger than they actually are. Which is the real reason that the Scots wear kilts!

Captn
08-06-2008, 10:48
And now for some Scots humor from a Scot:

Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?

Sound of The Zipper scares the Sheep

What's under your Kilt

A wee set of Pipes ........ or

String ... I had to tie it up so it didn't hang below the kilt ... or

Sorry, I'm a bit shy and not much good with words. Give me your hand...

Joke that is very topical for this point in the thread:

An Irishman goes to the local pub to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, like he does every day, and gets wasted out of his mind. He stumbles outside when the bartender tells him that he's had enough, but he can barely walk. So he leans up against a tree, where he passes out.
A few minutes later, a couple of fine lassies go walking by. One says to the other one, "Do you think they wear anything under those kilts?" She admits that she doesn't know. So they go to check it out.
She lifts up the kilt and sees him in all his glory. As they replace the kilt and get ready to walk away, an idea enters one of their heads. "Give me your blue hair ribbon," she says. Reluctantly, she hands it over. She goes back over to the Irishman, lifts up the kilt, and ties the ribbon to him. They walk away laughing. A few hours later, the drunk gets up to take a piss. He stands up, walks over to the bushes, hikes up his kilt, looks down and sees the blue ribbon. He thinks for a minute and says, "To be perfectly honest, I don't know how you got away, and I don't know what you did, and I don't know who you did it to, but I'm sure glad to see that you got first prize!"

Kilts were invented because of Free drinks at Ladies night at the local pub

You do know what you call a man in a kilt that ends above his knees?

Shorty.

What about a man with a kilt below the knees?

Braggart.

And a kilt to the ankles?

Liar.

Edward Longshanks (Edward I of England) comes to Scotland to conquer the Scots. He brings 4,000 men with him. As he reaches the battlefield, suddenly on the crest of hill there appears a solitary figure, a little stocky ginger-haired guy in a kilt.

"Hammer of the Scots?" yells the wee Scottish guy on the hill. "Come up here, ya English bastards, and I'll give ye hammer!"

Edward turns to his commander and says, "Take 20 men and deal with that Scottish upstart!"

The commander send 20 men over the hill to kill the Scot.

Ten minutes later, at the crest of the hill, the little Scot appears again. "Ye English bastards!" he yells. "Come on the rest of ye!! Come on, I'll have ya!!"

Edward is getting somewhat annoyed. He turns to his commander. "Take 100 men and kill that little guttersnipe!"

The commander sends 100 men over the hill to do the job. Ten minutes later, the little Scot appears at the top of the hill again, his hair all sticking up, his shirt a bit torn. "Ye English Scum!" he yells.
"I'm just warming up!!!! Come and Get me!!!"

Edward loses patience. "Commander, take 400 men and personally Wipe Him Off The Face Of The Earth!" he yells.

The commander gulps, but leads 400 men on horseback over the crest of the hill. Ten minutes later, the little Scotsman is back. His clothing all torn, his face is covered in blood, snot and Irn-Bru, and yells, "Is that the best ye can do??? You're Bloody Wimps!!!! Come on, come and have a go ya bunch of asses!!!"

Edward turns to his second in command. "Take 1000 men over that hill and don't come back till you've killed him!" he commands.

The second in command gathers the men and they ride off over the hill to their fate. Ten minutes later, one of the English troops appears back at the top of the hill. He's covered in blood and his clothes are all torn.

"Your Majesty!!!" he yells "It's a trap!! There's two of them."
Taken from Electric Scotland (http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/ceilidh/jokes.htm)

What do you call a dead animal on the front of a Skirt?

Road Kilt

The Society of the Paranormal was having a convention in town and there were many attendees. The president of the society was at the podium delivering the opening address to all who were there in body and in spirit, and he asked the question:
"Who of you have had the occasion to see a ghost?". There was a showing of perhaps forty hands, to which the speaker asked,
"Who of you have had the occasion to speak with a ghost?". Once again the conventioneers raised hands, counting thirty or so.
Then the question, "Who of you have had the occasion to have actually touched a ghost?", to which about ten hands were waved about. The speaker paused for a moment, and then delivered another query,
"Who of you have had the occasion to have sex with a ghost?",and in the far back of the auditorium a lone hand was raised. "Would the usher please escort that individual with his hand raised to the stage? I simply must inquire further." And with a couple of moments delay the man was brought forward, who incidentally turned out to be a wee Scotsman in full kilt no less. When the Scot arrived on stage, the speaker asked him, "Well Sir, tell us what it was like to have sex with a ghost.", to which the man replied, "Ghost? Laddie,I thought ye said goat!".

Three Scotswomen are walking home at night (they are neighbors) and find a Scotsman passed out partially under a wagon. His upper body is under the wagon and they can't see who he is; however, they would like to help him get home.
The first woman looks under his kilt and says, "It's not my husband".
The second woman looks under his kilt and says, It's not my husband". The third woman looks under his kilt and says, "Why he's not even from our village!"

My favorite Kilt site .... you just can't make this stuff up: http://www.dividedbytruth.org/BD/kilts.htm

Some great Moc-u-mercials at: http://www.utilikilts.com/

Jim Adams
08-06-2008, 16:23

just had 6" heels put on my Sundowners....mud traction should be incredible!:D

geek

Footslogger
08-06-2008, 16:28
just had 6" heels put on my Sundowners....mud traction should be incredible!:D

geek

=====================================

Be careful on the stiles with those puppies !!

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
08-06-2008, 16:39
=====================================

Be careful on the stiles with those puppies !!

'Slogger

Crossing bridges with a grate surface (especially in a hurry)! :eek::D

minnesotasmith
08-07-2008, 15:15
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/ap_on_fe_st/odd_postal_kilt

A U.S. postman wants to wear a dress/kilt on the job.:rolleyes:

Pickleodeon
08-09-2008, 14:16
I'm a fan of any guy on the trail. :) I've never seen kilts on the trail, but I'd be a fan. Any guy that feels manly enough to pull off a kilt is cool in my book.

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 14:24
I'm a fan of any guy on the trail. :) I've never seen kilts on the trail, but I'd be a fan. Any guy that feels manly enough to pull off a kilt is cool in my book.

haha, maybe I'll wear one then, just not wool...

NICKTHEGREEK
08-09-2008, 14:48
Pulling it off is easy, putting it on is an entirely different thing

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 14:55
Any guy that feels manly enough to pull off a kilt is cool in my book.

Kind of like when Michael Caine showed Sandra Bullock how to "glide" like a runway model in "Miss Congeniality"? Both are just too akin to what Germans call a "sitzpinkler" to consider... :eek:;)

cavscout
08-09-2008, 23:23
Spending a lot of time around this thread MS. Your words say no but your interest says "YES! OH God, Please YES!"

minnesotasmith
08-10-2008, 08:37
Spending a lot of time around this thread MS. Your words say no but your interest says "YES! OH God, Please YES!"

I use the SEARCH function set to look for threads on which I've already made a post, and this thread is active enough it keeps coming up. I do admit it's funny watching non-Scottish guys not in Scotland trying to convincingly claim they're acting Scottish rather than making it look like they're practicing for moving to SanF. :D

Two Speed
08-10-2008, 08:41
Ya know cavscout, judging by the reaction I do believe you've hit the nail on the head.

Erin
08-10-2008, 17:23
Sean Connery has worn a kilt outside of movie roles.
No qestion on which side he butters his bread.
Try again:)

Jason of the Woods
08-10-2008, 17:46
I mostly hike in a kilt and am pretty sure that I am cool. I suppose that's good enough for me and that's the only person that I truly answer to.:D

minnesotasmith
08-10-2008, 18:27

He's a Scotsman, with citizenship (and presumably residency) to match. For him, it's not trans-something-or-other.

Sly
08-10-2008, 18:28
It appears that the women like seeing men in kilts by a 6-1 margin. Wonder why that is? :-?

George
08-10-2008, 18:54
because MS doesn't wear one

Wilson
08-10-2008, 19:28
It appears that the women like seeing men in kilts by a 6-1 margin. Wonder why that is? :-?

I don't know. What really surprizes me is almost 24% of the men who responded say they hike in a kilt.....Somebodys bullchitin, I ain't ever seen a man hiking in a kilt.

mudhead
08-10-2008, 19:28
because MS doesn't wear one

And we have a winner.

Wilson
08-10-2008, 19:32
not 24%, closer to 33% of men...Ha.

Tuxedo
10-06-2008, 02:53
I hiked 90% of the trail in a kilt. For no other reason than on a 10mile hike a year before the AT I was walking along and didn't like the wad of undies that accumulated in my taint. I hand made crotchless cargo shorts called a kilt. You just have to adapt and over come the wad folks.

BumpJumper
10-15-2008, 20:29
Woodsy.....
Bearpaw....
Yall hike in front of me ok?:D

BumpJumper
10-15-2008, 20:31
Where do I vote at anyways dangit.:mad:

tom_alan
10-15-2008, 20:40
Where do I vote at anyways dangit.:mad:

Read below it ~ it says the poll is closed

aaroniguana
10-15-2008, 21:01
I have hiked in a kilt.
I go to Scottish Games in a kilt.
I go to Renaissance Faire in a kilt (and cloak, wearing a sporran and sgian dubh and a claymore).
I am Irish (my grandmother is from Dundalk, not the one here in Maryland).

I may not sleep in a hammock but I do know what comfort is.

Doctari
10-16-2008, 07:13
Drat, I didn't get to vote.
I'll vote here: Except for my work pants (which I'm required to wear) only worn to work, & 1 pair dress pants & 1 pair shorts worn as needed, I wear a kilt.
I wear a kilt to hike in.
I wear a kilt to shop.
I wear a kilt to mow the lawn.
I wear a kilt!

Fashion statement? Yea, I suppose, but that isn't why I wear one, I wear it because it is more comfortable PERIOD! Fashion to me is what I want to wear, if you don't like it, sorry for you :rolleyes:

As to why women don't wear skirts, I neither know or care, if it makes them happy, go for it. As for me, I will continue to hike in my kilt :D

I have had no problems getting a hitch into town, well, no more than when I wore shorts.

If you want to wear one, I second the suggestion you learn how to sit in one!!! :eek:

Jim Adams
10-16-2008, 10:23
Drat, I didn't get to vote.
I'll vote here: Except for my work pants (which I'm required to wear) only worn to work, & 1 pair dress pants & 1 pair shorts worn as needed, I wear a kilt.
I wear a kilt to hike in.
I wear a kilt to shop.
I wear a kilt to mow the lawn.
I wear a kilt!

Fashion statement? Yea, I suppose, but that isn't why I wear one, I wear it because it is more comfortable PERIOD! Fashion to me is what I want to wear, if you don't like it, sorry for you :rolleyes:

As to why women don't wear skirts, I neither know or care, if it makes them happy, go for it. As for me, I will continue to hike in my kilt :D

I have had no problems getting a hitch into town, well, no more than when I wore shorts.

If you want to wear one, I second the suggestion you learn how to sit in one!!! :eek:

Says it all!

geek

NikkiO
10-22-2008, 20:14
The question is...why do you care what the women think?

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2008, 20:22
Kilts are okay, not a big deal, but I do prefer that some of the men learn to sit a little more modestly in them....

What?

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2008, 20:24
Now, that's funny.

But the poll is faulty. There needs to be a "I'm a man and I've never tried a kilt so have no preference" or something like that.

Very Democratic of you - Try a Kilt!

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2008, 20:28
No kilts for me, but I like a loincloth on summer hikes, breathes alot better :D
http://www.geocities.com/songdogmi/lcphotos/icon_buckskin.jpg

That is so wrong in many ways... Hike on.

BR360
10-23-2008, 10:14
I checked out this thread to see what the fuss was about...

In at least one post , I saw here a reference to "rain skirts."

Are these made commercially? If not, is there a picture somewhere of someone in one?

handlebar
10-23-2008, 22:52
ULA makes one: http://www.ula-equipment.com/rain_wrap.htm.

I used it a couple times on the PCT (It only rained that hard on two days over the whole hike) and it was effective over my hiking kilt----the kilt stayed dry thanks to adequate ventilation:). It also worked great to wear when everything else was in the laundry; and it served a few times as a ground cloth to sit on at lunch.

Titanium Girl
10-30-2008, 23:11
Holy crap! What a site! I have been on many hiking trips and have yet to have the good fortune of seeing a man hiking in a kilt. I think I'd faint with a big ol' smile on my face if I ever got to see such a wonderful sight.

Men hiking in kilts are WAY HOT!!!!

Texasgirl
10-30-2008, 23:49
Okay, I'm gonna finally comment. I was hiking in Colorado and a guy passed in one of those utility kilts. It was fine. Great. He looked comfy. It looked efficient - lots of cool pockets. My brother cracked up, but I, having ready WB for awhile, got to feel all knowledgeable and smart about the kilts! I say Kilt On! Or at least, wear what ya like.

Hoop Time
11-12-2008, 15:35
Nothing wrong with kilts. Have never worn one, but they look comfortable.
But at this year's men's night out gathering (big party in my town with projection screens for watching the game, NASCAR etc. ... beer, scotch, cigars, lots of meat) a group of about five dudes showed up wearing matching skirts and T-shirts. Now that was gay! (not that there is anything wrong with that)

cavscout
11-14-2008, 12:20
Well, the results:

54 in favor 28 women 26 men
51 against 5 women 46 men

Interesting stats. Basically, 50/50 on the Kilt, however women clearly like a man in a kilt. The male vote isn't of any concern to me, but it shows a lot of men are very insecure and feel safer following the herd.

dan8794
11-14-2008, 12:51
I very surprised that there are now 19 males who are too insecure about their manhood to even consider wearing a skirt. Guys, grow a pair.

It's not about insecurity man...lose the tone.

Some people just don't prefer kilts.

Geeze

aaroniguana
11-14-2008, 14:09
End Trouser Tyranny Now!!!

dan8794
11-18-2008, 12:46
End Trouser Tyranny Now!!!

Wow....guess it worked!

Fiddleback
11-18-2008, 13:12
When I visited this sub-forum this morning I realized that right below this thread/poll was, "To hang or not to hang."

I found the juxtaposition...amusing.:-?

FB

Skidsteer
11-18-2008, 19:12
When I visited this sub-forum this morning I realized that right below this thread/poll was, "To hang or not to hang."

I found the juxtaposition...amusing.:-?

FB

Not funny.

People may have strong opinions but I'm certain nobody wants to hang men who wear kilts.

:p

aaroniguana
11-18-2008, 19:14
I'm certain nobody wants to hang men who wear kilts.

Ohhhh you don't know my neighbors.

JAK
11-19-2008, 00:28
That is so wrong in many ways... Hike on.

I know it's sarong, but it feels so right.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Sarungan.jpg

BumpJumper
11-19-2008, 11:08
LMAO at Skid...:D

Trajectory
12-20-2008, 22:19
I think men in dresses would also carry a purse if given half a chance.

KG4FAM
12-21-2008, 01:35
I think men in dresses would also carry a purse if given half a chance.Its called a European Carryall:D

Frick Frack
12-21-2008, 02:02
Kilt = comfort ... as least it did for my 2175 miles. My wife did the same in a "skirt"

Jim Adams
12-21-2008, 20:23
I think men in dresses would also carry a purse if given half a chance.

We do...its on our back!:D

geek

OldStormcrow
03-19-2009, 11:08
Free Scotland!
"Cha togar m'fhearg gun dioladh!"
http://www.kiltmen.com/celeb-connery2.jpg