PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Pages

Lyle
08-03-2008, 21:43
Hey Folks,

I just visited the Appalachian Pages forums. I was disappointed.

Early this year, a couple of folks took it upon themselves to design and bring out a new guide book. One that had some unique formatting that would help make it easier to use on the trail.

The discussion here on WhiteBlaze was very supportive of the effort, but quite critical of the lack of perceived accuracy. I used this book for my section hike earlier this year, and found it very usable.

So why am I disappointed? Because in spite of having a very easy way to post corrections or suggestions to the editors of Appalachian Pages, only 18 constructive posts have been made in that thread, many fewer in any other thread. Considering that folks post that many per minute here (at least it seems like it at times), I think this a very POOR showing of support for a new publication that we profess to support.

Many of the most vocal and prolific critics here on WhiteBlaze are totally absent from the Appalachian Pages forum. Perhaps they have communicated with the editors via private correspondence and offered their constructive input. If that is the case, my apologies. If not, I hope that many more of us will help them improve this new guide instead of just complain about it.

Kirby is one noteable exception, he has made several constructive posts.

Ok, off my soapbox for now...

Sly
08-03-2008, 22:23
Many of the most vocal and prolific critics here on WhiteBlaze are totally absent from the Appalachian Pages forum. Perhaps they have communicated with the editors via private correspondence and offered their constructive input. If that is the case, my apologies. If not, I hope that many more of us will help them improve this new guide instead of just complain about it.

It likely the critics didn't use the book or hike this year.

Frosty
08-04-2008, 01:23
Hey Folks,

I just visited the Appalachian Pages forums. I was disappointed.

Early this year, a couple of folks took it upon themselves to design and bring out a new guide book. One that had some unique formatting that would help make it easier to use on the trail.

The discussion here on WhiteBlaze was very supportive of the effort, but quite critical of the lack of perceived accuracy. I used this book for my section hike earlier this year, and found it very usable.

So why am I disappointed? Because in spite of having a very easy way to post corrections or suggestions to the editors of Appalachian Pages, only 18 constructive posts have been made in that thread, many fewer in any other thread. Considering that folks post that many per minute here (at least it seems like it at times), I think this a very POOR showing of support for a new publication that we profess to support.

Kirby is one noteable exception, he has made several constructive posts.

Ok, off my soapbox for now...Maybe they never heard of the Appalachian Pages forum or know where it is. I bought the book and have no idea what you are talking about. Is there an Appalachian Pages forum here on WB? Or is it a separate forum? Or what?

It isn't a very easy way if info on how to suggest changes isn't readily available. I see nothing in my copy on how to suggest changes. The problem isn't that people don't care or are lazy, it is that there in nothing in the book on how to suggest changes.

wilconow
08-04-2008, 09:41
I think Lyle meant the forum on the AP site

http://www.appalachianpages.com/forum/

Awol2003
08-05-2008, 19:03
Maybe they never heard of the Appalachian Pages forum or know where it is. I bought the book and have no idea what you are talking about. Is there an Appalachian Pages forum here on WB? Or is it a separate forum? Or what?

It isn't a very easy way if info on how to suggest changes isn't readily available. I see nothing in my copy on how to suggest changes. The problem isn't that people don't care or are lazy, it is that there in nothing in the book on how to suggest changes.

Hey frosty; The App Pages website is mentioned on page 34 of the Nouthbound book (page 22 of the Southbound edition). We have a keep-it-light philosophy and are stingy about pages of the book, so the note got buried in the book where space was available. We were wrong not to feature this information more prominently.

Many people expect to find App Pages info on this site because Rick is webmaster, but App Pages and Whiteblaze are two different endeavors.

Frosty
08-05-2008, 19:38
Hey frosty; The App Pages website is mentioned on page 34 of the Nouthbound book (page 22 of the Southbound edition). We have a keep-it-light philosophy and are stingy about pages of the book, so the note got buried in the book where space was available. We were wrong not to feature this information more prominently.

Many people expect to find App Pages info on this site because Rick is webmaster, but App Pages and Whiteblaze are two different endeavors.So it is. My apologies. I looked over the front matter and the back of the book, but didn't do a page by page check.

Yes, I associate Appalachian Pages with WB, and looked all over this site before posting earlier.

I wrote operating and repair manuals for both the Army and Navy, and always had the last page of the manual a form to mail in errors (this was pre-internet). I have found that people are very willing to point out errors, omissions and confusing entries. Sometimes their comments were on the nasty side, but they almost always provided good info.

FWIW, I did a section of AT-LT last week, south of Manchester Ctr (Saw my first on-trail bear near Stratton Pond), and found the guide to be 100% accurate. I like the Appalachian Pages much better than either the THruhikers handbook or the Companion.

But I'll check the website for updated info.

Thanks.