PDA

View Full Version : Earl Shaffer shelter pictures

camojack
08-04-2008, 09:07
OK, I posted a few pictures (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8204&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1) of the Earl Shaffer shelter and the 3 guys who slept in it on its last night on the Trail. :cool:

These were taken right before we started to dismantle it; first the rubber roof came off, then the floor. :eek:

I was in the middle of taking out the floor when reinforcements arrived... ;)

Blissful
08-04-2008, 09:33
Glad I got to see it last year 'for it came down.

camojack
08-04-2008, 09:34
Glad I got to see it last year 'for it came down.
Hopefully it won't be too terribly long before it's on display at the Appalachian Trail Museum... :-?

Lone Wolf
08-04-2008, 09:35
where is this museum?

camojack
08-04-2008, 09:38
where is this museum?
They're trying to negotiate a deal with the park to have it in one of the old buildings in Pine Grove. :-?
(Which is at or near the midpoint of the Trail, as you know...)

Blissful
08-04-2008, 09:44
That would be good. I must admit I felt kind of sad it was being demolished. I liked seeing it, went over to look at it several times that evening during my stay - a true trail symbol.

camojack
08-04-2008, 09:50
That would be good. I must admit I felt kind of sad it was being demolished. I liked seeing it, went over to look at it several times that evening during my stay - a true trail symbol.
Not demolished...dismantled. If all goes according to plan, it will rise again like the legendary phoenix... :-?