PDA

View Full Version : Sobo from johnson over mansfield?

earlylight
08-04-2008, 09:46
Which is the better solo route over Mt Mansfield, Spruce, Madonna, and Whiteface, ? Nobo from Jonesville to Johnson or sobo from Johnson to Jonesville? I plan to give this 36 mile section 4 days.

By BEST, I'd like input on the following or other factors:

1. Parking at the end (Jonesville seems better than Johnson)

2. Thunderstorms (nobo seems better than sobo - more shelters to hide out in and more lead time to consider consequences of hiking while it's thundering)

3. Steeps ascents or descents in very wet conditions (sobo seems marginally better)

Any opinions? Is this going to be any harder than doing camels hump to app gap, southbound?

Thx!

Earlylite

angewrite
08-05-2008, 15:47
Which is the better solo route over Mt Mansfield, Spruce, Madonna, and Whiteface, ? Nobo from Jonesville to Johnson or sobo from Johnson to Jonesville? I plan to give this 36 mile section 4 days.

By BEST, I'd like input on the following or other factors:

1. Parking at the end (Jonesville seems better than Johnson)

2. Thunderstorms (nobo seems better than sobo - more shelters to hide out in and more lead time to consider consequences of hiking while it's thundering)

3. Steeps ascents or descents in very wet conditions (sobo seems marginally better)

Any opinions? Is this going to be any harder than doing camels hump to app gap, southbound?

Thx!

Earlylite

SOBO over Mansfield would be prefered to NOBO on a very wet day. SOBO is a very steep, rocky climb but easier to ascend than decend. Parking in Johnson is better than parking in Jonesville.

You're doing a number of tough climbs, but all in all its not a bad hike. Take your time and enjoy it. I wouldn't worry about shelter locations, you'll be fine.

Quoddy
08-05-2008, 17:25
Overall, SOBO is marginally better than NOBO in that section. The climbouts from both are almost the same, but having come down Whiteface in wet conditions it was no fun. Climbing would be fractionally easier (read safer). It's a toss up for Mansfield. The first 200' coming down the north side is near petrifying, but not much worse than the decent off the forehead, particularly if it's wet.

I, personally, think that Mansfield and the Whiteface/Madonna group are more difficult/dangerous than Camel's Hump - App Gap. A lot depends upon the weather, though.

Parking: Jonesville may look better to leave a car, but there's not much there except the Post Office. Johnson is at least populated, although you'll be a bit away from the trail if you leave your car in town. It should be easy to get a ride to/from the trail.

Northbound from "The Chin" at Mt. Mansfield. Almost a leap of faith.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/6/6/8/EdgeofTheChin.jpg

earlylight
08-05-2008, 23:21
Thanks! I appreciate the good advice.

angewrite
08-06-2008, 00:25
Parking: Jonesville may look better to leave a car, but there's not much there except the Post Office. Johnson is at least populated, although you'll be a bit away from the trail if you leave your car in town. It should be easy to get a ride to/from the trail.

There is parking right at the trailhead in Johnson and your car will be safe there.

earlylight
08-06-2008, 07:50
The LT map shows that the Johnson parking lot is 0.6 miles east but not in town. Does the town extend west a ways on Rt 15? I have no local knowledge so this is a big help.

Quoddy
08-06-2008, 08:47
The LT map shows that the Johnson parking lot is 0.6 miles east but not in town. Does the town extend west a ways on Rt 15? I have no local knowledge so this is a big help.
There are houses scattered along Rt 15 in the area of the trail crossing. When I came through there were quite a few hiker's cars at different locations along West Settlement Road. As Angewrite said, parking should be safe there.

angewrite
08-06-2008, 09:59

There are a few businesses outside of town near the trailhead. The most notable is the Long Trail tavern about .1 mile east on Rte 15.