PDA

View Full Version : Duncannon Campgroud

Doc
08-04-2008, 12:03
Later this month I plan to do some sections north of Duncannon and will be traveling with my wife in our small motorhome. I am thinking of staying a couple of nights in the campground just outside of Duncannon. Anybody have any thoughts or comments about this place? I won't be tenting so I don't care if the ground is rocky or similar tent issues. Any other places to stay as we work our way north up the trail. I plan to hike 12-15 miles per day and then connect with my wife at the end of the day for a cold beer, hot shower, clean cotton clothes and a real meal. I get to sleep in a real bed every night with my wife before repeating the same the next day. I know it sounds rugged but I'm from Maine and I'm used to demanding conditions.

Doc

Awol2003
08-04-2008, 22:41
If you are talking about the Riverfront Campground, it is close to the RR tracks. I've not stayed there myself, but heard that train noise was bothersome.

trailangelmary
08-05-2008, 13:41
This is true that the Riverfront Campground is right next to the tracks. So at night if trains run by it sounds like they are going to come right through your tent at some spots. Other than that a nice campground along the Susquehanna River. If you can get a site next to the river, train noise is not near as bad. I have camped at both areas (close to river and up nearer tracks). I hear this year bathroom cleanliness is not so good.
http://www.riverfrontcampground.com/

trailangelmary
08-05-2008, 13:43
Riverfront campground is within walking distance of the Riviera Tavern. From the campground it is just across the Juniata River Bridge. And a little further west on Rt 322 past the Riviera Tavern is a truck stop with restaurant and showers.

Johnny Swank
08-05-2008, 15:59
Took a shower there a few years ago. That was one funky, funky place! Not sure if I left cleaner than when I came in.

Doc
08-05-2008, 18:53
Thanks folks. That was the campground that I was considering. Fortunately I don't care about their bathroom facilities-I have my own in the RV. Sounds like a site by the river will work out fine.

Doc