PDA

View Full Version : solo tent

EMAN
08-05-2008, 08:58
Looking for suggestions for a solo, freestanding, lightweight tent. I currently carry an older version 1/4 Dome which I love for the extra space (I am a rather large individual). But I want to at least try something smaller and lighter. I lean towards the BA Seedhouse SL1 but the door at the end kind of bothers me for some reason. Anyone use one of these? Does the weather get in the top of your sleeping bag when you open the door? It is more than 1 lb lighter than the 1/4Dome and 5" longer. I can get one for about $200.
Other options in that price range?
And sorry, so far, I am not a tarp or hammock person. Also not particularly a Hubba fan.
Thanks folks.

IceAge
08-05-2008, 09:12
I recommend the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 1.0. I think it's got everything I need in a solo tent, and you can definitely get it for less than $200.

I am 6'4" and about 230lbs and I fit in it, admittedly without a lot of length to spare, but I do fit. It is freestanding, weighs 3lbs 12oz new but you can easily trim 6-8 ounces from that just by taking the heavy plastic sleeve off of the stuff sack and leaving the extra guylines at home.

Like the Seedhouse, it is a mesh body with an opening at the end. I did get a few drips of water inside when opening it during the rain, but not so much that it soaked anything.

Anyway, I like mine and it seems to be well made, so there's another option for you.

winger
08-05-2008, 09:32
http://www.tarptent.com/index.html

winger
08-05-2008, 09:33
However, the tarp tents are not freestanding, I love my contrail, when I'm not in the hammock.

Newb
08-05-2008, 10:19
what about the good ole MSR Hubba?

Red Hat
08-05-2008, 10:37
The Rainbow tarptent is freestanding when you use hiking poles.

EMAN
08-05-2008, 11:36
Hmmm....looking at the Rainbow, it's hard to tell and I'm not sure I fully understand about the floor. Is the basic tent one piece? It says something about the floors clipping to the roof? And how does it pack? The arch comes out and folds up?
Red Hat...do you have one of these? 2 lb 2 oz...cool.

QuebecRun
08-05-2008, 11:45
I have Seedhouse 1. It's SMALL. Front entry is awkward to enter. Does drip inside. Most big guys go for Seedhouse 2 for extra space. I'd go for Hubba's side entry if had to do over -- but I've not seen this tent. Just looks good to me.

Now that I hammock, harldy use the Seedhouse 1.

EMAN
08-05-2008, 16:13
Any users of the Rainbow TarpTent on here?

kyhipo
08-05-2008, 16:26
i like the kelty brands myself,ky

Franco
08-05-2008, 19:36
Rainbow
Yes the tent is all one piece. The bottom perimeter of the floor is attached to the mesh and that is attached to the fly. The sides of the floor (vertical bit) clip up to the bottom of the fly to keep them up. You can see that on the Rainbow page :http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html). BTW you can see exactly how you fit in by clicking on the Cutaway dimensions page :http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow_2.html
You can leave the floor clipped up , the reason to unclipped would be to have extra room for a second person inside.
The arch pole is a standard Easton pole fits inside the yellow sleeve. If you want you can also remove the short cross apex pole .
Franco

tanzer2250
08-05-2008, 20:21
Spoil yourself with a six moon designs lunar duo. Great tent from a great company. Solo or with a friend, there is plenty of room at a light weight.

EMAN
08-05-2008, 21:32
Lunar solo is a pretty good looking tent too but geez...all that staking and fiddling about....lol. WAH!! WAH!! Spoiled by the ease of my 1/4Dome I guess. Like to see one of them Rainbows though.

Nearly Normal
08-06-2008, 01:31
There are many on the market to choose from. $-$$$$
Take your pick.
Single wall, double wall, floor, no floor, mesh, no mesh, poles, no poles,
light to heavy. What do you want?

EMAN
08-06-2008, 13:03
I am currently looking at the Rainbow Tarptent which several folks have told me leaks. Ok...I am also considering the BA Seedhouse SL1 which several folks have told me leaks (at least when you have to open the door to get in and out). The SixMoon Lunar mentioned is OK, not freestanding but a nice tent nonetheless. Felt a little cramped in a Hubba and it ain't so much lighter than the 1/4Dome which has more room.
I guess I seek the same features and dependability of that REI tent but maybe a pound or so lighter.

Tennessee Viking
08-06-2008, 13:07
I have a Eureka Solitare. Its small. But I don't need much.

optimator
08-06-2008, 15:18
Check out the Mont-Bell Crescent 2. Tons of room for one and weighs 3 pounds.

10-K
08-06-2008, 15:26
If you consider any solo tent that weighs 3 lbs I highly recommend that you compare it to the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo which also weighs 3 lbs. Personally, I think it's the best tent I've ever seen.

The Lunar Duo has room for two 6'3" adults, a bit of equipment and enough room for both to sleep without feeling cramped. The vestibules are large enough for boots and to cook under. I've spent the night in mine during a torrential downpour and stayed completely dry.

Hiking by myself the Lunar Duo is like having a tent mansion but it is the same weight as one of those tiny little solo tents.

ChinMusic
08-06-2008, 15:54
Lunar solo is a pretty good looking tent too but geez...all that staking and fiddling about....lol. WAH!! WAH!! Spoiled by the ease of my 1/4Dome I guess. Like to see one of them Rainbows though.
I own and use a Lunar Solo and it is a piece of cake to set up and adjust.

I agree with 10-K that the Lunar Duo is worth looking into. For the extra pound(ish) you get TONS more room, especially head room.

Cuffs
08-06-2008, 16:38
E... having seen some of the 1P tents lately... and knowing you... I think a 1P might not work for you... Theres just enough room for the bag, and even at that it will be touching the sides...

generoll
08-06-2008, 19:14
Check out the Black Diamond Mids. The sylnylon ones are very light and there is one version that uses your two hiking poles to tent poles. It's not freestanding and it's floorless, but I figure that's why Tyvek was invented. If you want light, that one is about in your pricerange.

Skidsteer
08-06-2008, 19:24
E-Man, I'm really liking the Hilleberg Rajd (http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewRajd.htm)I've been using lately. A 2 lb 2 oz 2- man tent/tarp.

Pricey, though. (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-9/Rajd/Detail.bok)

EMAN
08-06-2008, 22:32
Cuffs, you could very well be right. I guess if there's anything I dislike about the 1/4Dome, it would be the length. Only 84" which makes the extra width more important as I sort of lay cross corner and I'm still able to surround myself with my possessions if I want.
Skids, THAT is a pretty darn good looking tent. Not freestanding and as you say, sort of pricey, but 47" x 100"....wow. I would lose about a pound and a half over the 1/4Dome. Pretty substantial. Have you been anyplace with it where it was hard to find a place to stake it out?
Gene, no floor...ewwwww....creepy, crawly things....hahahaha. Of course, the way I snore, that may not really be a problem.
I wish there was someplace around Nashville that had stuff like this Hilleburg. Or the Rainbow. Or the Lunar Solo. Be nice to see that kind of gear. I love REI but geez....sometimes...
Wendi, supposedly, a dealer, Alabama Outfitters, at least has Hilleburg stuff. Wah!
Thanks to everyone for your input!

Skidsteer
08-06-2008, 22:44
Skids, THAT is a pretty darn good looking tent. Not freestanding and as you say, sort of pricey, but 47" x 100"....wow. I would lose about a pound and a half over the 1/4Dome. Pretty substantial. Have you been anyplace with it where it was hard to find a place to stake it out?

Nope, not yet.

Most of the time it works out that I can tie off one or more lines to trees.

Marta
08-07-2008, 07:27
E-Man, I'm really liking the Hilleberg Rajd (http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewRajd.htm)I've been using lately. A 2 lb 2 oz 2- man tent/tarp.

Pricey, though. (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-9/Rajd/Detail.bok)

That is a really nice-looking tent.

Repeat to myself...I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent....

Skidsteer
08-07-2008, 07:54

Repeat to myself...I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent....

It's a palace for sure.

I lucked up and got it on the Selling used gear forum for, IIRC, $130 :D

I think Stumpknocker had one on Springer New Year's eve too.

Rainman
08-07-2008, 08:51
The Rajd looks a lot like the Lunar Duo. I don't know which one came first. I think the Lunar Duo is a little lighter, and less $.

Rainman
08-07-2008, 08:55
I take that back. The Lunar Duo is a little heavier, but an additional 10 sq. ft. of floor space. I would like to see the Rajd in person to compare.

Cuffs
08-07-2008, 10:55
Wendi, supposedly, a dealer, Alabama Outfitters, at least has Hilleburg stuff. Wah!

First, its Alabama Outdoors and... Ready for this?.... I just took at p/t job there!!!!

EMAN
08-07-2008, 11:02
You vixen you....hahahaha....don't suppose you'd take a look at that tent and give me your .02 worth when you work into it...please...please...

EMAN
08-07-2008, 11:11
Rainman...that Lunar Duo would be a better choice for me than the Solo to be sure. The 36" width on the Solo would definitely be a tight fit.

Obiwan
08-07-2008, 11:33
I just did the Maroon Bells 4 pass loop with two buddies

Due to the odd number I decided to use the MSR Zoid1 I had picked up a couple years back

It worked great and is actually pretty roomy

It only requires 2-3 stakes (1 at each end and one for the vestibule)

One of my pitches was on shallow dirt over a rock slab and any more required stakes would have been a problem

floyd242
08-07-2008, 12:23
The SL1 is not freestanding. You have to at least stake out the sides.

Cuffs
08-07-2008, 12:32
E, What about the BA Seedhouse SL2?

And yes, Im still hiking on Labor Day weekend!

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 12:36

Repeat to myself...I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent. I do NOT need a new tent....Well, just to help you with that resolution I'll say that after having seen Skids Rajd set up in the same camp as my SMD Lunar the Rajd's probably a better shelter.

Does that help? :p

partinj
08-07-2008, 12:45
i have the Eureka Spitfire tent love good water proof tent i am 6 foot 2 here is a picture of it campmore has it for 99.00 right now. only weight 2lbs 15oz

http://www.campmor.com/images/tents/larger/23889_l.jpg

woodsy
08-07-2008, 12:53
The SL1 is not freestanding. You have to at least stake out the sides.
Sure it is, set it up and it stands freely buy itself without any help from stakes or guy lines.
It is more practical to use stakes with it as they increase the area inside and also help to ventilate when used with the fly.
Stakes also help to keep it from blowing away in windy conditions, like any tent.
sorry, feeling technical today.
the manufacturer of the BA Seedhouse SL1 (http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0037)says its freestanding.

jersey joe
08-07-2008, 12:57
I have a Eureka Solitare. Its small. But I don't need much.
I thru hiked with this tent. VERY small, can't sit up and can't fit any extra gear. It is light though at under 3lbs packed. And probably one of the cheapest tent options.

EMAN
08-07-2008, 15:31
The BA Seedhouse SL tents look great but just something about that sloped door on the end doesn't feel right. Maybe because I've been getting in and out the side forever. Old dog, new trick thing. And I've had at least 3 people tell me it drips water when you open that door. I can handle a bit of dampness at my feet (I get that with the 1/4Dome sometimes...condensation or moisture on the bottom from rubbing the wall) but not so much at the top of my sleeping bag. But I can get one of the SL1 tents is for about half the price of the Hilleburg.
Cuffs....check your mail.....

Marta
08-07-2008, 19:29
It's a palace for sure.

I lucked up and got it on the Selling used gear forum for, IIRC, $130 :D

I think Stumpknocker had one on Springer New Year's eve too.

$130! Now I am jealous.

Stumpknocker's tent looks quite a bit like that one in design, but it's an ancient thing that he has used on all his hikes, I think. Last year he mentioned that tent already had more than 1,000 nights on it. He has re-waterproofed it twice. I don't think his tent has a zipper opening on the back side. But it has basically the same shape, with that nice little awning for setting up a stove to make the breakfast coffee.

Another tent I've been eyeing is something along these lines:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/#top

I don't need another tent, though. I really don't.

Skidsteer
08-07-2008, 19:45
Another tent I've been eyeing is something along these lines:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/#top

I don't need another tent, though. I really don't.

Dadgummit, I wish people would stop posting links to cool tents...

Cuffs
08-07-2008, 19:52
I"ll be at AO tomorrow, I'll inquire about the Rajd for ya!