PDA

View Full Version : New member and have some A.T section hiking questions

T-Bone1
08-05-2008, 16:01
Hello, I am new to these forums so please bear with me. I have some questions about section hiking the A.T. from Springer Mt. to Franklin, N.C. I have done some research on distances and etc. so my real question is about camping/shelters. So which is better. I know packing a tent is more weight but it seems the obvious choice to me because I have heard that some of the shelters can get a bit crowded. This is the first of many questions I have. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 16:05
First, :welcome.

Next, I'd strongly advise carrying a tent. You're not guaranteed a place in a shelter, and almost all shelters are infested with mice. I don't stay in shelters very much, although I do like to "check in" and see what's going on; more of a social thing than a suitable place to sleep IMHO.

bloodmountainman
08-05-2008, 16:08
Camping in your own tent is way better than shelters. It depends on the time of year, if the shelters are full or not. They are good for ducking a storm or preparing meals (some have tables), but most are pretty nasty places to sleep. Tenting will give you more freedom to choose when to stop for the day.

papa john
08-05-2008, 16:08
Welcome to the forum and at AT! Shelters are usually filled up during the thru hiking season (Mar-May in the southern states) but during the rest of the time, you are likely to get a spot. That being said, sleeping on a hard wooden platform is not for everyone. You should always carry a backup shelter such as a tarp, tarp-tent, tent or hammock. This way you don't have to worry about hiking from shelter to shelter as much as there are plenty of camp sites along the trails in areas that are much more scenic than the areas around the shelters.

T-Bone1
08-05-2008, 16:14
Thanks everybody. with all that said (and tents seem to be the way to go) what about the bears. Certainly you are safer in a shelter than a tent right? Or is that something not to be worried about? (you will really have to convince me that it IS SAFE!!)

Lone Wolf
08-05-2008, 16:14
Hello, I am new to these forums so please bear with me. I have some questions about section hiking the A.T. from Springer Mt. to Franklin, N.C. I have done some research on distances and etc. so my real question is about camping/shelters. So which is better. I know packing a tent is more weight but it seems the obvious choice to me because I have heard that some of the shelters can get a bit crowded. This is the first of many questions I have. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tenting is 10 times better for sure and there are a ton of places in that section to do it. screw them wooden boxes

Lone Wolf
08-05-2008, 16:15
Thanks everybody. with all that said (and tents seem to be the way to go) what about the bears. Certainly you are safer in a shelter than a tent right? Or is that something not to be worried about? (you will really have to convince me that it IS SAFE!!)

bears ain't a problem. i sleep with my food but that's just me

ZEKE #2
08-05-2008, 16:20
First, :welcome.

Next, I'd strongly advise carrying a tent. You're not guaranteed a place in a shelter, and almost all shelters are infested with mice. I don't stay in shelters very much, although I do like to "check in" and see what's going on; more of a social thing than a suitable place to sleep IMHO.

Either I am a deep sleeper or the many mice is a myth. I slep in many a shelter from Georgia through Virginia and had few encounters with mice. But carrying a tent is a good idea. Often shelters are full.

Zeke

earlyriser26
08-05-2008, 16:23
If anything, bears are attracted to shelters where food scraps and tasty hikers can be found. carry a tent. It gives you options and reduces your worries...

BigBlue
08-05-2008, 16:28
I agree with the tent definitely bring one, if you're trying for ultralight maybee a bivy or a hammock. There are bears, but as long as you take proper precautions (don't cook or eat at your tent, hang food in a tree, etc.) they won't bother you. A bear can easily be scared away with noise and waving arms. No worries.
Big Blue

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 16:36
Either I am a deep sleeper or the many mice is a myth. I slep in many a shelter from Georgia through Virginia and had few encounters with mice. But carrying a tent is a good idea. Often shelters are full.

ZekeOr a very lucky person, either of which is good. I've had a mouse do a burn out on my face in the Blood Mtn shelter many years ago. Not something you wanna wake up to.

Plodderman
08-05-2008, 16:39
Half of this or another. You can see a bear at any time whether tenting or in a shelter. The Smokies have taken off much of the fence at the shelters that was placed there for protection because people left food out for for bears and shut the gates.

My point is I do not worry about bears, study how to act if you see one, take proper care of your food (hanging it up), try not to eat in the place you are sleeping and whether or not you are in a tent or a shelter you should be okay.

We have scene many bears and have never had a problem. One good thing about tenting is that you are away form the crowd and those who keep there food in the shelter.

T-Bone1
08-05-2008, 16:51
once again thanks. so this brings me to my next question and that is: What exactally do you do with your food if it's in your pack? Do you hang your pack from a tree or take it out of your pack, put it in a seperate bag and hang that bag? As you can tell I am new at this. My plan is to hike Springer to Franklin next May (late) or early June.

jesse
08-05-2008, 16:53
...There are bears, but as long as you take proper precautions (don't cook or eat at your tent, hang food in a tree, etc.) they won't bother you.

I second this. Bears don't want us, they want our food. Hang your food, trash, and dirty pots away from your sleeping area.

Bearpaw
08-05-2008, 16:55
Definitely take some kind of personal shelter. It can be something as simple and light as a poncho tarp (though it's weather-worthiness is really dependent on site selection and how ingenious you are in pitching it).

Another light multi-function option is the Gatewood Cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45). It makes very nice raingear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/GSMNP%20AT%20Jul%2008/071a.jpg

And a more reliable shelter in nastier weather:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Bear%20Wallow%20Gap/P2100032s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Bear%20Wallow%20Gap/P2100033s.jpg

You can even pitch it directly against the ground if you expect downpours, though you'll get some condensation from your breath on the inside.

But there are TONS of great lightweight fully enclosed shelters too, like the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (link to it from the SMD site with the Gatewood Cape).

Going without any shelter of your own is asking for some significant discomfort (or possibly worse) at some point, and a slavish need to camp only at shelters.

Hoop
08-05-2008, 17:23
No need to hang the whole pack.

Marta
08-05-2008, 17:52
If I'm in a shelter, I hang my whole pack, either on a mouse hanger in the shelter, or on the bear cables outside. The reason is not so much to keep it away from bears (with whom I have never had a problem), but to keep it away from mice, squirrels, chipmunks, and their rodent brethren.

If I'm tenting, I normally keep my food inside my tent. I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner, which keeps down odors.

One way to avoid bear problems is to check online to see if the place you're planning to stay has been having active bear problems. Then, when you reach wherever you're planning to camp each night, look around for bear scat, and check in the shelter register. If there is a problem bear haunting that area, you'll probably find both scat and a lot of register entries detailing the encounters hikers have had with the bear.

It's actually quite helpful to see a bear or three. Generally they go about their business, paying no attention to you, or running away before you can get a decent photo of them. The cubs are incredibly cute.

Analogman
08-05-2008, 18:07
I've had a mouse do a burn out on my face in the Blood Mtn shelter many years ago. Not something you wanna wake up to.

ROFLMAO! I'm getting this mental picture of the mouse doing a leg-spinning, smoke-billowing, Scooby Doo-like take off, complete with the ZING! sound effect.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 18:14
ROFLMAO! I'm getting this mental picture of the mouse doing a leg-spinning, smoke-billowing, Scooby Doo-like take off, complete with the ZING! sound effect.I'm glad that someone got something out of that episode, and that's a check on the leg-spinning, smoke-billowing, Scooby Doo-like take off part, but the sound was more like a Three Stooges "whoop, whoop, whoop" sort of thing.

All kidding around aside I've had more trouble with mice than any other kind of wild life on the AT, and it's almost always been at a shelter. Only have had one incident with mice camping out, and that was no big deal.

Plodderman
08-05-2008, 18:23
If in the shelter I hang my food on a rope at least 10 feet but usually twelve or more off the ground on a good sturdy limb and 25 to 50 yards from the shelter with a climbers clip and my pack inside the shelter on a small rope suspended from the ceiling with a tuna can or or the bottom of a pop bottle. My food bag is nothing special just a water proof bag from Walmart. This keeps the mice out. I unzip my pack so if the mice get to it they do not have to eat through the pack.

If I am in a tent I do the same with the food and just put my pack in the tent.

boarstone
08-05-2008, 18:37
yeah, take and use the tent, hikers in shelters will be chewed on first and you'll be able to hear the noise and get away...:welcome

If anything, bears are attracted to shelters where food scraps and tasty hikers can be found. carry a tent. It gives you options and reduces your worries...

T-Bone1
08-05-2008, 19:45
Alrighty then. That is the kinda info I need. D*mn, you peeps are alot of help. Thanks to everybody for the info. Soon I will be posting a new question along with checking in one this one quite often. Thanks

MoBill122
08-05-2008, 20:10
T-Bone...

Just go take some practice over nighters around the Eglin area. Lots of bears roaming around there just out of sight of people.

Blissful
08-05-2008, 20:11
Lots of places to camp in that section. Enjoy.

We never hung our packs - just our food and also cook set and toothpaste.

babbage
08-05-2008, 20:33
Thars rat'lers in em shelters. Take a tarp and bivy. Bivy is also nice if you do stay in one of those snake infested shelters, because it will keep the Africanized Bees off you, but it makes it hard to beat the rabid mice off(who always have hantavirus). Also use tarp to protect you from the wood racks - they are made of recycled wood from caskets that were dug up at a leper colony. And, if you see a dipping ladel at a privy do not use it.... ever. Bring your own ladel - you don't know whose lips were on the one you find.

Bottom line tarp and bivy work well, save weight, many uses.

boarstone
08-06-2008, 08:13
Just a note: from my days of being out west: always shake out your foot wear, before inserting foot, especially in snake/spider and other questionable territory...

slowandlow
08-06-2008, 08:32
Just a note: from my days of being out west: always shake out your foot wear, before inserting foot, especially in snake/spider and other questionable territory...

True, I have dumped a scorpion out of my shoe in Georgia.

Lilred
08-06-2008, 08:48
As far as storing your food, you can buy stuff sacks with a strip of material along the bottom to use for hanging your food. Check your local outfitters, they'll know what you'll need for bear bagging.

Berserker
08-06-2008, 12:37
Like others have already said I would bring some type of shelter like a tent or tarp. I personally don't stay in shelters due to the rodent problems (it only took one night spent in a shelter where my buddy's pack towel was chewed up...while he slept on it...to turn me off to shelters). I do like to tent near them sometimes though for the convenience (place to hang in the rain, place to socialize, etc.).

As for the bears, I used to be what they call "bearanoid". I have now seen a few bears and heard them rummaging around near my camp a night a couple of times. That has helped immensely in curing my paranoia. That said, I still hang my food (and all other smelly items like lip balm, sunscreen, etc.). You can hang your food in a stuff sack or similar bag. I use a lightweight dry bag cause it's waterproof. Hanging can be done via a few methods (you can search the site as this has been covered many times), and I prefer the PCT method.

Bear Cables
08-06-2008, 17:54
bears ain't a problem. i sleep with my food but that's just me

I wouldn't advise a newbie to follow this as a recommendation. Maybe bears don't mess with one such as Lone Wolf, but I strongly advise you to use Bear safety in tents and shelters. Eat and cook away from the tent and hang ALL items that smell including toothpaste. Then you can rest easy. I've never had a bear in my camp yet, but I'm always careful.

Plodderman
08-13-2008, 15:44
Done some hiking in the Grand Canyon and rafting and man those rattlers are something else. Have seen scorpions to and not real found of centipedes either.

Have not seen any rattlers on the AT and my shelter experices have been pretty calm accept for a few drunks and mice.