PDA

View Full Version : goretex in boots

wanashunkaha
08-05-2008, 19:13
Considering your feet end up soaking wet anyway and goretex takes longer to dry, can someone recommend a decent boot/trailrunner with good ankle support and no gortex? I was looking at them today, (the store stocked mostly merrells) and every pair was touting goretex.

RedneckRye
08-05-2008, 20:14
Gore has done such a great job of marketing itself to the general public that it is tough to sell non-Gore boots. At the shop where I work, almost none of us that work there work there wear "waterproof" foot wear, yet almost everything on the boot wall has a Gore-tex or eVent liner. We've tried over and over to sell boots and shoes with out a waterproof liner, but it just does not happen. The first question is always "Is this one waterproof?". Trying to explain that a water proof shoe (other than maybe some hip waders) does not exist, no matter what the "Guaranteed To Keep You Dry" tag says, is a pointless battle.

So, that being said.... Many boots come in a Gore and a non-Gore version. Figure out what size fits and then have the shop order the non-Gore model. Yes, you can probably save a few $$$ by finding it on the internets, but you should always try to support your local gear store (or record shop, or farmers market, or brewery, etc...).

Good luck and have fun out there.

Blissful
08-05-2008, 20:17
For me, ankle support came in making sure my ankles were toughened with exercise, using trekking poles for stability in rocky areas, watching the weight I carried, and getting a good trail runner with a solid, supporting foot bed. I chose Brooks Arenaline ASRs and was very happy with them

take-a-knee
08-05-2008, 20:57
Asolo FSN 85's are non-goretex. I love mine, they are also available in a wide (EE) size.

Two Speed
08-05-2008, 21:02
Montrail Hardrocks are decent trail runners. The sticky part is Columbia bought Montrail just recently. So far the reviews of the "Columbia" Hardrocks are pretty good, but that could change. Also heard a lot of good things about New Balance shoes.

Just to screw things up have you considered sandals? I've got a pair of Teva Wraptors I like for warm weather hiking. Keens and Chacos have their good points, too.

Jim Adams
08-06-2008, 16:34
I really like Solomons...I have several non-goretex pairs.

geek

NICKTHEGREEK
08-06-2008, 17:09
I had a long term affair with LOWA renegade low cuts both with and w/o goretex, They got a bit pricey and now I go with Lowa Tempest low cuts without goretex. I think they are exceptional. I bought 2 add'l pair for backups when the current pair go bald.