PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain In Late June?

bobgessner57
03-03-2004, 19:57
I will have a three day weekend in late June - am thinking about Iron Mountain gap to Carvers Gap. Will the AT be overrun with people at that time because of the rhodendron bloom or will there just be a plague of people within 500 feet of the parking areas? If I want some peace and quiet would I be better off doing Carvers through Laurel Fork Gorge, etc.? Either trip sounds great to me, I have only done those sections in early spring. I am limited on time. I have to drop my daughter in Boone by 9:30 am Friday and be back by 4ish on Sunday, so I want to find a good trip close to Boone to maximize my trail time.

Jimbo0104
03-03-2004, 22:09
Roan mountain in late June is a site you shouldn't miss. When the gardens are in bloom its quite a site. As far as crowds go it will be somewhat crowded but that really depends on what you consider a crowd. To me seeing more than four or five people on a trail in a day is a crowd but then I like to hike alone or with only another individual. You'll have to weigh the two sides yourself. I wouldn't miss seeing the blossoms especially if you havent seen them before. In fact, I wouldnt mind shuttling you if necessary as I live in Johnson City if I am not at sea. I'll have to wait as my orders are pending. If you decide you don't want to do Roan there are alot of other trails especially around Boone that aren't necessarily on the AT but would make great hikes anyways. Another good section to hike would be Sam's gap to Big bald. I haven't been up there since the interstate was finished so I'm not sure exactly where the trail crosses over but the view from the bald is really majestic.

go easy
Jimbo

Moon Monster
03-03-2004, 23:01
Something you could do is go up to the summit from Carvers Gap (take the side trails to the Rhodo Gardens and see them with the folks just out of their cars). Then retrace back through Carvers and then go North for as long as you want. There is some wonderful stuff just north of Carvers: Jane Bald, Grassy Ridge Bald (one of only two natural 360 deg. vantage points above 6000' in the east), and the Humps. Most of the dayhikers will be around the Rhodo Gardens and parking lots, between Carvers and Roan High Bluff on the AT and side trails, and between Carvers and Jane Bald on the AT (most people don't go as far as Grassy Ridge, which is on a short side trail by the way).

bobgessner57
03-03-2004, 23:34
Thanks for the info. Jimbo, I may take you up on the shuttle if you are not at sea. I may have one already with one of my wife's relatives if they are in country. Moon Monster, I hadn't thought about starting at the top but may do that. I generally detest being a spectacle for the tourist crowd; wooo...hikers!!!, why I would just die if I had to carry that knapsack up this mountain, etc. I had considered spending a night out around Grassy Ridge, what both of you are saying leads me to think that is the place for me and the rhododendron is worth putting up with the hordes for.