PDA

View Full Version : Some cooking Questions

Jordan5
08-05-2008, 22:39
Hey all i am doing a 2 night trip soon and am looking for thoses darn bags of chicken i cant find it! and is there a fast food place with jelly? if not where can i get those little packets of jelly! thanks all!

BitBucket
08-05-2008, 22:43
Walmart, Target, most any major chain grocery store has 'em...on the jelly, try Hardees, Chick-Fil-A, or Mickey-D's

angewrite
08-06-2008, 00:27
Hey all i am doing a 2 night trip soon and am looking for thoses darn bags of chicken i cant find it! and is there a fast food place with jelly? if not where can i get those little packets of jelly! thanks all!

I had trouble finding the Chicken initially but it wasn't the store it was me. The chicken isn't always by the tuna. Look for the canned chicken, the foil packs will be near there.

McDonalds has grape and strawberry jelly.

Two Speed
08-06-2008, 08:05
. . . . . . . .

kayak karl
08-06-2008, 08:05
the chicken i find at walmart, acme and save-a-lot, the jelly a get at christmas time in those sausage, cheese, cracker, jelly giftboxes (petridge farms?)

Jordan5
08-06-2008, 08:59
Thank you very much all for your fast reply i will tar apart my local store till i find my chicken! and if its still not there who knows .

Bulldawg
08-06-2008, 10:45
Jordon, that Chicken can be hard to find sometimes. Try big box stores like a Super Wal Mart or something. Worst case scenario, buy some online. I am sure it is easily found there. And welcome to White Blaze. I hope you enjoy the trail.

IceAge
08-06-2008, 11:52
Weirdly enough, the only place I found foil-packed chicken was at a gas station convenience store. The Bumblebee BBQ chicken is good if you can find it!

TJ aka Teej
08-06-2008, 12:57
Ask someone who works there, Jordan. And if not, look for the kinds in tin cans. Not a significant diff in the weight of container.

sarbar
08-06-2008, 22:06
Over the years I have used a lot of canned and pouched meats when doing recipes - and as TJ points out, there isn't a big weight difference once empty. The only difference is in size - the 7 ounce pouches work well for two. A 3 or 5 ounce can works good for one.
Though in some areas cans are not allowed though. I get the pop top ones as well - easy to open.

Jordan5
08-06-2008, 23:16
FOUND it! weeeeee lol my dad found some at krogers, got the BBQ and garlic and hurb!

Bob S
08-06-2008, 23:37
Though in some areas cans are not allowed though. I get the pop top ones as well - easy to open.

What areas and why are cans not allowed? I would think (do think) that it’s none of anyone’s business how I carry my food as long as I pack out the garbage.

If you want to buy lots of jelly packs instead of having to buy a gourmet Mickey D’s breakfast to get one, look for a restaurant supply store (we have Gordon Foods here) and see if you can buy them in bulk. May be a good idea to go in with some friends or yopu may have to eat a lot of jelly.

Tennessee Viking
08-07-2008, 01:27

Walmart, Target, most any major chain grocery store has 'em...on the jelly, try Hardees, Chick-Fil-A, or Mickey-D's
Very few Targets carry jelly packets anymore. Just the ones with Food Aves with grills/fryers.

What bags of chicken are you looking for?

fehchet
08-07-2008, 05:02
First off, where are cans not allowed?
Secondly, for me it is important to not get the full breast in a bag -- very tough and stringie. The chunked chicken is the best.
Canned chicken can be off loaded into a zip bag just before you hit the trail.

Todd Heyn
08-07-2008, 07:25
The one place that I know of that does not allow glass or tin cans in the backcountry is the Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario.

mister krabs
08-07-2008, 07:59
The one place that I know of that does not allow glass or tin cans in the backcountry is the Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario.

BWCA has that rule, and it's certainly backcountry, though not known for hiking.

CONTAINERS
Cans and glass bottles are not allowed.
Containers of fuel, insect repellent, medicines, personal toilet articles, and other items that are not foods or beverages are the only cans and bottles you may keep in their original containers.
Food may be packaged in plastic containers that must be packed out with you.

sarbar
08-07-2008, 11:39
There are odd pockets out there (fortunately none are where I live!). My thoughts are that it is where horse packers and canoes have been historically and left refuse pits and or fire pits with garbage. And as well garbage in the water. (cans could cut as well if left in water and don't burn).
For us who hike it isn't a real issue but one reason to always read the rules on wilderness's before heading out :)

partinj
08-07-2008, 12:14
If you have a foodloin or gaint near you they have them. one more thing hamburger helper have a pack out now with the meat mix in all you do is add boil water let stand for 6 min. done have fun