PDA

View Full Version : backpacking stoves

T-Bone1
08-06-2008, 15:04
I would like some opinions on the best backpacking stoves for a 100 (or so) section of the A.T. (springer to franklin). The reason I give this info is because I would like something that is easy to use and easy to get fuel at outfitters so I don't have to carry alot of extra. Not a big fan of alcohol either.

Lone Wolf
08-06-2008, 15:06
MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/pocketrocket.asp

Lyle
08-06-2008, 15:12
Alcohol is easy and light, but if you've ruled it out, there are several cannister stoves that folks seem to like. MSR Pocket Rocket, I believe Snow Peak makes a compact, light stove.

If you are into gadgets and not too concerned with weight or money, a lot of folks use and like their Jet Boils.

Stoves, like many things, have lot's of options, it all boils down to (pun not intended, but pretty good!) personal preference.

Alcohol is available most everywhere, even convenience stores and gas stations, hostels, outfitters, hardware stores.

White gas is available at most hostels, hardware stores, outfitters, many places that cater to hikers

Cannisters are less prevalent, but people seem to find them if they pay attention and plan ahead.

oops56
08-06-2008, 15:13
Wood there is all kinds

T-Bone1
08-06-2008, 15:37
Wood there is all kinds

Please explain. I mean if you can't build fires then how do you use them. are they like canister stoves but burn wood.

Mags
08-06-2008, 15:57
A plug for my article. :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055&highlight=stoves+mags

The cliff notes version:

OVERALL SUMMARY

There are many stoves to choose from. Which one is the best depends upon your intended use.

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies: Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution: Jetboil
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply is not an issue: Esbit

Personally? I think a canister stove like the Snopeak or similar would be best for your situation and parameters (ease of use, not a fan of alcohol, ease of resupply if you plan ahead)

earlyriser26
08-06-2008, 16:04
MSR pocket rocket, but people like to debate stoves. There are several good ones, PR is simple, light weight, and very small.

Just Plain Jim
08-06-2008, 16:26
This year I bought and used the Jet Boil Stove on my 100 mile section hike. It's my best stove yet! I never cooked in it but used it only for boiling water as I did all of my cooking in freezer bags [though I did throw coffee and tea bags in it for steeping]. I never washed it in those 7 days but just rinsed it out.

T-Bone1
08-06-2008, 16:28
Thanks everybody. So in my case, solo, 10 days (+/-), 100 miles (+/-), and a few supply outfitters, you think a canister is the way to go?

Just Plain Jim
08-06-2008, 16:28
Oh! I always carry a few Esbit Tabs with me in case of an emergency.

zelph
08-06-2008, 16:30
Go Jetboil. Buy it at Mountain Crossings along with some canisters of fuel. You won't even need to cary it until you're on the trail.:)

T-Bone1
08-06-2008, 16:37
so let me get this straight, jetboil is a system (kinda all in one thing) so it's not to good with other cookware but good if going with food like mountain house or something similar correct?

Lone Wolf
08-06-2008, 16:42
Thanks everybody. So in my case, solo, 10 days (+/-), 100 miles (+/-), and a few supply outfitters, you think a canister is the way to go?

for sure. best stove there is. forget jetboil

Chenango
08-06-2008, 16:45
for sure. best stove there is. forget jetboil

LW - what is wrong with JetBoil?

Mags
08-06-2008, 16:46
so let me get this straight, jetboil is a system (kinda all in one thing) so it's not to good with other cookware but good if going with food like mountain house or something similar correct?

Pretty much.

They are convenient and quick..but a bit heavy, expensive and not versatile (imo).

Believe it or not, the Coleman series of canister stoves has received excellent reviews.It is light, quick to boil and fairly inexpensive.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html

It is the intelligent Jetboil. :)

Lone Wolf
08-06-2008, 16:47
LW - what is wrong with JetBoil?

what mags says

Blissful
08-06-2008, 18:31

Yep, ditto. Used it all last year. But it stinks in wind. However, do not use a wind screen!!!

Tagless
08-06-2008, 18:48
Oh! I always carry a few Esbit Tabs with me in case of an emergency.

That's a darn good idea. I hadn't considered that until now. Thanks Jim!

My wife and I are quite pleased with our Brunton Flex Canister Stove. We replaced our Jetboil with this in order to trim weight. This really is a great canister stove option, particularly for two hiking partners. A homemade windscreen is in order.

Company promo description follows...

The coolest stove on the planet is one heck of a cooker. We've answered the canister stove users' needs with the ideal compact, lightweight butane stove. With the award-winning simmering ability of old, the new Flex™ adds sturdy pot supports to the mix for the ultimate set-up. Built for the true-backpacker, you don't need awkward accessory parts like unsturdy cups and pots to make it purr. At a mere 3.4 ounces, you get 12,000 BTUs of bliss for the best cooker, fryer and warmer out there.

whitefoot_hp
08-06-2008, 20:10
you will probably know what decision you should have made when you get back.

if you use a pocket rocket, dont turn it all the way up to boil small amounts of water. fuel will dissappear in a couple days.

whitefoot_hp
08-06-2008, 20:12
Yep, ditto. Used it all last year. But it stinks in wind. However, do not use a wind screen!!!
i always use a windscreen for my pocket rocket. it is suspended on the pot supports and does not even come close to the fuel cannister.

but yes, do not use a windscreen, that is one that surrounds the fuel cannister.

surrounding the flame is good though. it might make the pocket rocket as efficient as everyone says it is.

buff_jeff
08-06-2008, 21:31
I can't speak for anything else but the Pocket Rocket has worked great for me. I've never had a problem with anything. Finding fuel shouldn't ever be a problem either. Some of the smaller canisters lasted me for 2 weeks or more albeit I don't cook as often as some people.

Bob S
08-07-2008, 00:04
Any stove will work; use the stove you have used in the past. All you are doing id cooking with it!

My preference is the Svea 123, It’s worked for me for 30-years. It runs on the fuel that (other then wood) is available more places then any other fuel, Gasoline.

It’s all contained in one small unit, no hoses to develop leaks. No plastic parts to get brittle and break or get melted. No need for a field repair kit and a yearly overhaul kit. It comes with a 1 ½ cup pot. It has a built in windscreen, it’s all brass construction and has been in production for over 100-years. It works in all weather conditions and has been to everyplace on this planet and worked great in all of them.

Drawbacks to it is that it cost $100.00 for a new one (worth twice that, what other stove will work for 30+ years never needing a repair?) Used ones are always on E-Bay.

And it has a learning curve to figure out how to get it lit. It’s easy to do, but some seem to have trouble with it. A squirt bottle with alcohol to prime it works great, I can have it running in 20-seconds from the point I light the alcohol (twice as long in the winter.)

LIhikers
08-07-2008, 06:17
My wife and I like the MSR Simmerlite stove that we have. It's a little heavier than canister stoves but it works real well summer, winter, spring, and fall.

Homer&Marje
08-07-2008, 08:29
MSR Whisperlite Shaker stove was our stove of choice for 14 years until I switched to alcohol stoves, never once broke, never once failed though and still works just I don't use it any more, my father still does. Only costs 70 bucks at most retailers and you can resupply white gas at most places on the AT, most places sell it by the ounce too so if you have an idea of how much fuel you use you don't have to overstock, 32 oz would probly suffice for 100 miles.

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 08:48
. . . 32 oz would probly suffice for 100 miles.That's a Hell of a lot of gasoline considering you can resupply at Neels and Hiawassee.

I'd suggest downloading the appropriate section of the trail companion from ALDHA and checking where you can resupply for your fuel of choice. Baltimore Jack writes an excellent series of articles on resupply on the home page, updated every year. Never gone wrong between those two references.

Mags
08-07-2008, 09:06
That's a Hell of a lot of gasoline considering you can resupply at Neels and Hiawassee.

That's what I was thinking. 32 oz for 100 miles ???!?!? Egadss.

Even for two people, that is very much on the high side.

Unless you plan on making gallons on hot tea. :)

take-a-knee
08-07-2008, 09:21
Any stove will work; use the stove you have used in the past. All you are doing id cooking with it!

My preference is the Svea 123, It’s worked for me for 30-years. It runs on the fuel that (other then wood) is available more places then any other fuel, Gasoline.

It’s all contained in one small unit, no hoses to develop leaks. No plastic parts to get brittle and break or get melted. No need for a field repair kit and a yearly overhaul kit. It comes with a 1 ½ cup pot. It has a built in windscreen, it’s all brass construction and has been in production for over 100-years. It works in all weather conditions and has been to everyplace on this planet and worked great in all of them.

Drawbacks to it is that it cost $100.00 for a new one (worth twice that, what other stove will work for 30+ years never needing a repair?) Used ones are always on E-Bay.

And it has a learning curve to figure out how to get it lit. It’s easy to do, but some seem to have trouble with it. A squirt bottle with alcohol to prime it works great, I can have it running in 20-seconds from the point I light the alcohol (twice as long in the winter.)

I've had my SVEA 123 since 1976. Mine has never failed me. I bought an MSR Simmerlite a couple of years ago. It seems to be a good stove, except that it doesn't simmer. A SVEA flame can be turned down like a pilot light, down to where it is just a tiny yellow flame, I'm not aware of any other backpack stove that will simmer like a SVEA. I've read that many climbers are returning to the SVEA after having been "MSR'ed" one too many times.

ed bell
08-07-2008, 09:43
I've had my SVEA 123 since 1976. Mine has never failed me. I bought an MSR Simmerlite a couple of years ago. It seems to be a good stove, except that it doesn't simmer. A SVEA flame can be turned down like a pilot light, down to where it is just a tiny yellow flame, I'm not aware of any other backpack stove that will simmer like a SVEA. I've read that many climbers are returning to the SVEA after having been "MSR'ed" one too many times.Yeah the Simmerlite doesn't quite live up to it's name. Never simmered with a SVEA, but my MSR Dragonfly simmers great. Only problem is that is sounds like a tactical fighter jet when it is cranked up.

oops56
08-07-2008, 10:38
You can make svea simmer if you know how.

Bob S
08-07-2008, 14:02
A backpacking stove that simmers as good as a home gas range is the Coleman Apex II. I have one and it works great for simmering. Backpacking stoves use the generator to vaporize the fuel. You need the fuel vaporized for it to work right. When you turn the heat down on a stove it has a lot less heat to vaporize the fuel so when trying to simmer with it the stove sputters because it’s not generating enough heat to turn the liquid into a gas. It sputters as liquid fuel gets pushed out to the burner. The Coleman Apex stove vaporizes the fuel in the pump just before it goes into the tube between the fuel bottle and the stove. Other stoves have the hose full of liquid fuel, the Apex hose is full of gas vapor. This means it doesn’t need to depend on the heat from a generator to simmer.

It can simmer for an hour if you want it to. I get no more out of my Svea then 10 to 15 min before it stops vaporizing the fuel with the generator from the heat loss. But most times this is enough time to do what I want.

Bob S
08-07-2008, 14:05
I've read that many climbers are returning to the SVEA after having been "MSR'ed" one too many times

LOL

I will never give MSR another dollar of my money after buying a Whisperlite and having constant problems with it.

Obiwan
08-07-2008, 16:12
I have the Coleman F1 Ultralight and the Jetboil

The Jetboil gets points for being stupid easy and very efficent

The Coleman gets points for being much lighter

My cooking consists of boiling water so I don't have any issues with either

Summit
08-07-2008, 18:24
I'm one of those 'stupid easy' JetBoil owner groupie guys. You can definitely go cheaper and lighter than a JetBoil but it's just such a cool package deal. With the cozy around it, your cooking pot is also your coffee mug, and with the add-on coffee press and your favorite ground beans, man you're talking a good cup of brew.

But there are quite a few combinations of stoves and cooking accessories out there that are quite good, efficient, and reasonably light. It kinda comes down to personality and what fits yours.

sheepdog
08-07-2008, 19:24
Pretty much.

They are convenient and quick..but a bit heavy, expensive and not versatile (imo).

Believe it or not, the Coleman series of canister stoves has received excellent reviews.It is light, quick to boil and fairly inexpensive.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html

It is the intelligent Jetboil. :)
The coleman stove comes in two pieces. You have to put it together everytime you use it, or put up with a bulkier package. It is not that easy, especially when you're tired. The pocket rocket is better.IMO

sheepdog
08-07-2008, 19:26
I've read that many climbers are returning to the SVEA after having been "MSR'ed" one too many times

LOL

I will never give MSR another dollar of my money after buying a Whisperlite and having constant problems with it.
The Whisperlite is not the best of MSR stoves. Not a bad stove for the money, but not their best.

Marta
08-07-2008, 19:33
That's what I was thinking. 32 oz for 100 miles ???!?!? Egadss.

Even for two people, that is very much on the high side.

Unless you plan on making gallons on hot tea. :)

Snapshot (SOBO '06) had an MSR Whisperlite. He only refilled his 32 oz. fuel bottle twice during his hike.

take-a-knee
08-07-2008, 20:08
The Whisperlite is not the best of MSR stoves. Not a bad stove for the money, but not their best.

Then their best is?

T-Bone1
08-07-2008, 20:14
So I have checked out several stoves and I kinda like the coleman F1, but where the h*ll do yo find the replacement canisters? I have loked everywhere. Do they interchange with other canister fuel cartridges?

Summit
08-07-2008, 21:53
Here's some of the brands - they'll all work on the Coleman F1:

http://www.rei.com/category/4500548

You can get them at outfitters, Dick's Sporting Goods, Hunting/camping stores, lots of places. I've found the cheaper 'giga power' to be as good if not better than the others.

sheepdog
08-08-2008, 06:51
Then their best is?
I really like the dragonfly and the simmerlite. The Reactor is very cool but a bit heavy. It is a water boiling machine.

Two Speed
08-08-2008, 07:46
Snapshot (SOBO '06) had an MSR Whisperlite. He only refilled his 32 oz. fuel bottle twice during his hike.You gotta be kidding. Any idea why he didn't replace the bottle with something smaller? Gotta be a story in this.

Marta
08-08-2008, 08:04
You gotta be kidding. Any idea why he didn't replace the bottle with something smaller? Gotta be a story in this.

He was very strong, and did not mind carrying a very heavy pack. (Which is why I could keep up with a male hiker so much younger than myself. The packweight/hiking speed corrolation became clear to him as the hike progressed. I estimate that he needed about a 20-pound packweight handicap for me to be able to keep up with him.)

And he was very frugal. Somewhere in southern Virginia/northern TN he remarked that he probably should have gotten a smaller fuel bottle.:rolleyes:

Two Speed
08-08-2008, 08:16
Somewhere in southern Virginia/northern TN he remarked that he probably should have gotten a smaller fuel bottle.:rolleyes:And let that be a lesson to us all.

For the record I started out with a 32 oz bottle for a 5 day solo hike many years ago. Got back to the house, and realized I'd used a fraction of what I had. Bought a 22 oz. bottle. Barely scratched that. Bought one of the tiniest bottles made, 10 - 11 oz? That was about right.

notorius tic
08-08-2008, 08:36
I AGREE good stove easy to clean. Good wind screen needed in winds. Rocks work well.

Homer&Marje
08-08-2008, 08:40
It wasn't 32 oz of gasoline, but rather methyl alcohol. No I don't boil gallons of tea but for larger pot meals I occasionally use both of my stoves, 1/2 - 3/4 oz each for a longer and faster boil. On cold weather occasions we like to boil 2 full nalgene bottles to put into our sleeping bags as a warmer ( works phenomenally too ) But you are right, that estimate for a normal person is probably too high. One alcohol stove, one person 100 miles 15-20 oz depending on how many miles per day.

Mags
08-08-2008, 09:22
It wasn't 32 oz of gasoline, but rather methyl alcohol.

Still a lot of fuel there chief; even for two people. :sun

Mags
08-08-2008, 09:26
The coleman stove comes in two pieces. You have to put it together everytime you use it, or put up with a bulkier package. It is not that easy, especially when you're tired. The pocket rocket is better.IMO

Futz factor can definitely be well, a factor. :)

I like the weight, price and performance myself if with a "futzing" penalty.

YMMV.

JaxHiker
08-08-2008, 20:59
I wouldn't say this is necessarily true. It might work better with the JB pan/pot but I've fixed pancakes with my JB and existing cookware. The pot support/stabilizer fits right inside the cup over the canister which makes it convenient. I used my GSI pot and lid to mix and cook. You just have to keep the heat low or you'll warp the bottom of your pan. Don't ask how I know. :D At least I was able to straighten it out again.

It also works great for boiling water for MH or coffee.

Homer&Marje
08-08-2008, 21:11
Still a lot of fuel there chief; even for two people. :sun

Again. 3 people (including a 13 year old boy that eats like he's 400 lbs) cooking an average of 5 ramens per night for dinner... I assumed I could carry extra fuel vs. running out. Sometimes i'm clumsy, what if I spill? Does anyone ever put human error in their math equation? Haven't seen it yet. But your correct it was too much but it was one of my only trips I have done with those stoves so it was also a fuel gauge experiment if that makes sense

Two Speed
08-09-2008, 01:19
. . . Sometimes i'm clumsy, what if I spill? . . . Spilling fuel is NOT something that I would add to my calc's for fuel usage. First, how do you calculate your spillage? By percentage? Volume? Number of times you open the fuel bottle? If that isn't enough spillage is a mean fire hazard, and burns are a pain in the patootie around the house, much less in the woods.

Short version: fuel spillage = very bad juju. Don't do it.

Homer&Marje
08-09-2008, 10:57
Spilling fuel is NOT something that I would add to my calc's for fuel usage. First, how do you calculate your spillage? By percentage? Volume? Number of times you open the fuel bottle? If that isn't enough spillage is a mean fire hazard, and burns are a pain in the patootie around the house, much less in the woods.

Short version: fuel spillage = very bad juju. Don't do it.

I've never spilled my fuel (unless for a quick start fire with wet "er" wood) Now, keeping that in mind... I try and plan for a lot of "what ifs" if you may, and bringing 8 oz extra fuel with me aint gonna weigh me down. Now, I hope I never spill my fuel because you are right bad juju. I have suffered many burns, the worst was with 400 degree pressure cooker water so I keep it in mind.

Bob S
08-09-2008, 11:07
Spilled fuel is not the end of the world; we all know how to build a fire. I don’t recall ever spilling my fuel, but I have done enough other stupid things in my life to not think it could ever happen to me. If it did and I lost all of it I would just gather wood and cook with it till I replaced the fuel

Montana Mac
08-09-2008, 16:27
I just bought this stove and have yet to try it for cooking. Weighs 7 oz and takes a regular canister like a Jetboil. The stove comes with a carrying case and has built in pot supports. I have ignited the stove and the flame adjust goes from a very small to a very high flame.

When I thru hike it will be either this stove or my Jetboil that I will carry. I used the Jetboil last year on my section hike and it worked without any problems.

gaga
08-10-2008, 15:29
i have a whisperlite int and i love it,probably because it resembles to a old model( copy of) a Primus multifuel EX stove, that my father was using a lot, but I`m starting to have one eye on this . http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html

Bear Cables
08-10-2008, 19:57
I'll toss my two cents worth in... Snow peak Giga Power. Love it!

SurferNerd
08-10-2008, 19:58
SnowPeak LiteMax, 11000BTU, under 2oz...

FritztheCat
08-10-2008, 20:46
I AGREE good stove easy to clean. Good wind screen needed in winds. Rocks work well.

This looks like a great little stove. How often would you need a new cannister (based on cooking at dinner and heating coffee in the mornings)? Also, how hard is it to get cannisters along the trail?

Mongoose2
08-10-2008, 21:32
I have the Coleman F1 and it does not come in two pieces. I have used it for over a year. Great product and cheaper then the PR

Berserker
08-12-2008, 13:19
I'll toss my two cents worth in... Snow peak Giga Power. Love it!

I agree with Bear Cables. I use a Snowpeak Giga. I also have a MSR Pocket Rocket, and it is a decent stove too. The Giga is a little better at simmering if you ever need to do that though because the flame is distributed over a larger area while the PR focuses it on one area kinda like a blow torch.

Personally I think canister stoves are the easiest and quickest to use. I have also used white gas stoves, alcohol stoves and a wood burning stove. Those all have their place and some are fun to use, but if you want to keep the "fiddle factor" down the canister stove is going to be the easiest and one of the lightest options.

As for canisters, as long as you get a stove like the MSR PR or Snowpeak Giga you can buy any of the canisters with the small threaded fitting on them (MSR, Jetboil, Snowpeak, Coleman, etc.). The only canister stove that requires a different canister is Camping Gaz as their stoves have a proprietary fitting.

Lyle
08-12-2008, 14:07
The only canister stove that requires a different canister is Camping Gaz as their stoves have a proprietary fitting.

Definite detriment to sales if you ask me. Wonder if Camping Gaz has realized this. :confused:

mister krabs
08-12-2008, 14:13
Definite detriment to sales if you ask me. Wonder if Camping Gaz has realized this. :confused:

Campingaz is like Betamax, they were there first but then got destroyed by ubiquity. Crazy thing is that they are owned by coleman, but the coleman cannister stove uses the standard cannisters.