PDA

View Full Version : Wear Your Frogg Toggs To Work Day

Homer&Marje
08-06-2008, 17:41
Just curious if anyone has ever been stranded without a car, preferred not to use public transportation or really any reason you had to walk to work and donned your hiking equipment to go with you... what did you take and why.

This was all inspired because Marje and I share a car, we do what we can for the environment and save ourselves money in gas, car payments, and insurance. Occasionally it causes inconveniences like today, she had a doctors appointment in Boston that she could not reschedule and I had to work this morning.

So of course it was pouring rain all day today on the east coast, ask Karl Metzer i'm sure he is fully aware of that:D, But I didn't let it get to me, I brought an extra pair of socks, my sneakers, threw my work clothes in my day pack, put my Frogg Toggs on and walked the 3.5 miles to work. Showed up a little sweaty, but I wore my Frogg Toggs to work, Think it could catch on as a national holiday?

August 6 - Wear Your Frogg Toggs To Work Day!!!!! YAY

paradoxb3
08-07-2008, 00:03
never had to pack it to work (15-16 miles one way is a bit more than i'm ready to tackle on pavement) but i wear my frogg toggs to/from work alot -- i ride my motorcycle rain or shine! 55mpg yeah baby!

notorius tic
08-07-2008, 00:07
Just curious if anyone has ever been stranded without a car, preferred not to use public transportation or really any reason you had to walk to work and donned your hiking equipment to go with you... what did you take and why.

This was all inspired because Marje and I share a car, we do what we can for the environment and save ourselves money in gas, car payments, and insurance. Occasionally it causes inconveniences like today, she had a doctors appointment in Boston that she could not reschedule and I had to work this morning.

So of course it was pouring rain all day today on the east coast, ask Karl Metzer i'm sure he is fully aware of that:D, But I didn't let it get to me, I brought an extra pair of socks, my sneakers, threw my work clothes in my day pack, put my Frogg Toggs on and walked the 3.5 miles to work. Showed up a little sweaty, but I wore my Frogg Toggs to work, Think it could catch on as a national holiday?

August 6 - Wear Your Frogg Toggs To Work Day!!!!! YAY
I carried my pack no fuel ect filter ect but a change of clothes..

notorius tic
08-07-2008, 00:10
In response we are a 1 car family via HIGH azz. Gas prices an the enviro. Plus my wife has a bad foot? an its not much for me to bang out 3 miles in flat Florida to get to work.. Minus Mindless Drivers.

Undershaft
08-07-2008, 00:13
This past winter I was without a car so all my errands were done on foot. I got some strange looks when I showed up at the grocery store with a 5000 cubic inch backpack and proceeded to fill it to max capacity with two weeks worth of groceries. Folks on the Cape are not used to seeing hikers at all. I'm pretty sure they all thought I was homeless or crazy, or both.

notorius tic
08-07-2008, 00:26
This past winter I was without a car so all my errands were done on foot. I got some strange looks when I showed up at the grocery store with a 5000 cubic inch backpack and proceeded to fill it to max capacity with two weeks worth of groceries. Folks on the Cape are not used to seeing hikers at all. I'm pretty sure they all thought I was homeless or crazy, or both.
hey thats a good one...I carry a Kellty 5500 cb, I was going to work here at Bradenton Beach Florida got the same looks but... No homeless man around here would or could carry it? Still got stange looks yuppy types. JMOP "Park in HANDICAP SPOTS GET OUT THEIR ROLLS AN" WALK BETTER THAN ME WITH NO PACK" JUST A HEAVIER WALLLET? :-?

notorius tic
08-07-2008, 00:32
Plus Im Foot Soldier.

Homer&Marje
08-07-2008, 07:25

I would have loved to see that. You are speaking of Cape Cod? You should have just told everyone in their gray houses that you had just chopped up a body on the beach and needed to pack it into the woods... then drip ketchup behind you for a mile or so... they'll stop looking long enough to call the cops, then they will feel like idiots for being nosy once you've been searched... proceed with these plans only if time is of no issue:D

Cabin Fever
08-07-2008, 07:51
I often get funny looks for carrying gear in and out of work because lots of folks I work with share gear with each other. Cool situation where lots of people buy different things and then try each other's out - hiking/camping and mountain bike gear.

superman
08-07-2008, 07:55
I didn't wear frogg toggs to work but I wore them to do my laundry during my thru. I had nothing else on but my frogg toggs. I bent over and the crotch split from front to back in a heart beat. I was one with nature and even trying to hold it closed with my hands didn't work too well. The little old, fat, toothless lady, who was sitting there facing me, just smiled.:)

Two Speed
08-07-2008, 08:38
I didn't wear frogg toggs to work but I wore them to do my laundry during my thru. . . Ah yes, the ol' "Rain Wear Lounge" thing. Never had my rain gear give up on me in a launromat, but have had to hang around in a poncho and a pair of real light rain pants. Prolly had too much of the "fat man in Speedos" effect, but I really needed to get some laundry done.

Homer&Marje
08-07-2008, 08:50
I didn't wear frogg toggs to work but I wore them to do my laundry during my thru. I had nothing else on but my frogg toggs. I bent over and the crotch split from front to back in a heart beat. I was one with nature and even trying to hold it closed with my hands didn't work too well. The little old, fat, toothless lady, who was sitting there facing me, just smiled.:)

That's why I bought my Toggs one size too big... XXL so that I had room for error:D Marje split the backside of her shorts a couple weeks ago in the whites coming down South Twin... She shows up at Galehead and told one of the caretakers she needed the bathroom to changed, and proceeded to show him why... he got a good laugh

max patch
08-07-2008, 11:48
Back in the pre cell phone era I used to drive a MG Midget. I always kept in the trunk an old daypack with 2 filled water bottles and quarters for pay phones, shorts, t-shirt, and an old pair of running shoes. Anyone who ever owned a Midget understands why.

Alligator
08-07-2008, 11:56
Back in the pre cell phone era I used to drive a MG Midget. I always kept in the trunk an old daypack with 2 filled water bottles and quarters for pay phones, shorts, t-shirt, and an old pair of running shoes. Anyone who ever owned a Midget understands why.I considered buying two of these a couple of times, as that was how they were always sold around me:).

Undershaft
08-07-2008, 12:41
I would have loved to see that. You are speaking of Cape Cod? You should have just told everyone in their gray houses that you had just chopped up a body on the beach and needed to pack it into the woods... then drip ketchup behind you for a mile or so... they'll stop looking long enough to call the cops, then they will feel like idiots for being nosy once you've been searched... proceed with these plans only if time is of no issue:D

Yeah, I live right by one of the bridges to the Cape and the thing is, they wouldn't have felt nosy. They would have felt completely justified. I'm suprised I didn't get stopped and searched by the cops anyway. The few that I have met here were complete jerks to me, all because I was taking a walk around the town on a lovely late summer evening. They deemed that suspicious behavior and probable cause to stop and interrogate me. Now that I have a car, I take my evening walks in the next town over.

Homer&Marje
08-08-2008, 09:40
Yeah, I live right by one of the bridges to the Cape and the thing is, they wouldn't have felt nosy. They would have felt completely justified. I'm suprised I didn't get stopped and searched by the cops anyway. The few that I have met here were complete jerks to me, all because I was taking a walk around the town on a lovely late summer evening. They deemed that suspicious behavior and probable cause to stop and interrogate me. Now that I have a car, I take my evening walks in the next town over.

Most of the cops in Massachusetts are extremely difficult to deal with on a regular basis. My theory is that it stems from prolonged trauma and abuse from priests in our catholic school system. Now that they're cops everyone is a potential alter boy for them to seek their revenge.

But that's my opinion:D My friend Mikey (Native American) lived with us for a stretch of hard times and got himself a job at the local McDonalds. His first day he was walking to work at 6 am and was stopped by two local cops, they said and I quote " Hola, como estas?" (shouting now) "WHERE ARE YOU GOING SENIOR" And my friend Mikey (Native American) says, " I am going to work now go take a Spanish class you moron" and then he said something in Sioux to the cops and finished with " If you want to talk to me in a different language learn Sioux, otherwise let me go to work"

From what he said they were shell shocked and got back in their cruiser. Turns out they were looking for a spanish kid that had just robbed the local 7/11.

Homer&Marje
09-26-2008, 08:53
Well with tropical systems in the Northeast, 43 degrees outside. I'll be cycling to work with the frogg toggs on again today :banana

I think i'll use a compression strap to keep the pant leg away from the chain.

ki0eh
09-26-2008, 09:30
I did wear my Frogg Toggs working last night - fire hydrant flow testing. :)