PDA

View Full Version : sitrep for maine?

johnny quest
08-06-2008, 18:49
whats the weather and trail conditions like in maine right now? wet i hear. any on the spot reports?

woodsy
08-06-2008, 19:22
Conditions are just great if you're a duck, quack quack.

Doughnut
08-06-2008, 20:30
OK, How many know what sitreps and spot reports are? Me, Johnny Quest, Woodsy, Lone Wolf. who else?

Johnny, Maine is tough, the weather makes it tougher. Contact Boarstone here, she's a great source of info and does re-supply drops in the 100 mile.

doughNut

woodsy
08-06-2008, 20:48
OK, I'll throw up a detailed 7 day forecast for the millinocket area (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Millinocket&state=ME&site=CAR&textField1=45.6591&textField2=-68.6989&e=0)
It's been raining most every day for the last 3 weeks so I haven't been out preferring to hike in decent weather giving the choice.
Rivers and streams in most of Maine, especially the western mountains continue to run higher than normal for this time of year. Expect lots of muddy trail. FWIW.

hammock engineer
08-07-2008, 09:23
Reminds me of the weather when I was up there last year. Didn't carry more than a liter or 2 of water for the whole state.

canoehead
08-07-2008, 09:24
Gotta love it

mudhead
08-07-2008, 09:28
You have another two weeks. Keep the faith. It has only been clammy since...

The jet stream could change, the weather pattern change, the rivers drain off.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/rt

Click on the dots. NH & VT are also involved in the ark design contest.

woodsy
08-07-2008, 09:47
You have another two weeks. Keep the faith. It has only been clammy since...

The jet stream could change, the weather pattern change, the rivers drain off.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/rt

Click on the dots. NH & VT are also involved in the ark design contest.
Carrabassett River, among others in western Maine really shot up overnight
Some hikers could be holed up out there.
Speaking of arks, have a pile of lumber, thinking about putting one together.:D

johnny quest
08-07-2008, 09:53
wonder how this is affecting that speed racer guy?

mudhead
08-07-2008, 09:54
Read in the paper some canoes floated off. Not sure if they were on the front lawn, or people on a trip. Embarassing either way.

Picture of the Carrabassett in sassy mode would be cool. If you are out joyriding.

johnny quest
08-07-2008, 10:12
i hope sassy mode has subsided before the 18th. if not, oh well. suck it up.

mudhead
08-07-2008, 10:16
If it is still sassy when you get there, I will be in the midst of moving. Oregon is a very cool place, but three weeks of rain/drizzle is uncool. Oh. Wait.

maybeFritz
08-07-2008, 15:09
OK, How many know what sitreps and spot reports are? Me, Johnny Quest, Woodsy, Lone Wolf. who else?

Johnny, Maine is tough, the weather makes it tougher. Contact Boarstone here, she's a great source of info and does re-supply drops in the 100 mile.

doughNut

Granted I am a new one around here, but I finished reading the day's message traffic just before I started lunch (and thus time to surf this direction). Saw the title and did a double take to be sure I wasn't looking at something actually work related. It's not nice to do that to those of us still tangling with the bloody things.

johnny quest
08-08-2008, 08:54
not only will you still pepper your speech with military jargon after you've left the service, wait till the first time you go off in front of civilians. they just are amazed at the military man's ability to cuss.