PDA

View Full Version : Bicyle Jersey?

maybeFritz
08-06-2008, 22:19
I moved to San Diego, and found that riding my bike to work is a heck of a lot nicer than driving (and hiking just takes to long for me on the same path each time...dull...). In this fun, I bought one of the nice bike ****s...entirely synthetic, breathable, etc.

Has anyone worn one on a hike? Issues? Rave reviews? Does the zipper on the front leave a giant blister after 500 miles?

I will probably try it anyway, but want to have a clue what to be paranoid about when I do.

maybeFritz
08-06-2008, 22:21
also, I don't recall what I wrote that it ***ed out...but I swear it wasn't naughty.:-?

Skidsteer
08-06-2008, 22:28
also, I don't recall what I wrote that it ***ed out...but I swear it wasn't naughty.:-?

Wild guess but I'd say you inadvertently left out the 'r' in shirt.

cavscout
08-06-2008, 23:55
We used bike jerseys for our adventure race jerseys and had no problems with the zipper. You might want to get a size bigger just to have a little slack. Being able to zip and unzip to let heat out or warm up a little was a good thing at times.

Erin
08-07-2008, 22:22
I bike also. I think the jersey would be very hot for summer hiking. For our long summer rides, I usually ditch the jersey for a short sleeved wicking hiking shirt. The jerseys seem to do well for me when the weather is cooler or rainy on the bike. But everyone has different preferences. Let us know your experience doing a long hike in one. They are durable, seem heavier and may not dry as fast after hand washing.

Alligator
08-07-2008, 22:34
Although I have a number of these, I've never used one hiking. You don't have the airflow that you do on a bike and I'm not sure the back pockets will be useful. While I've gotten all mine for free (fundraising), they are kind of expensive. IOW, I keep my bike clothes for biking, although walking the trail in padded shorts might be kind of sexy:datz.

Marta
08-08-2008, 07:23
My husband took one of his pairs of bike tights and took the padding out. (The padding was getting lumpy...not a good thing when sitting on a bike.) He especially likes to use bike leg warmers for hiking. Roll them up when it's cold; roll them down after he warms up.

kayak karl
08-08-2008, 07:56
i wear my bike base layer hiking,winter gloves hood, fleece vest and wore jerseys in winter (jerseys were all replaced with hiking clothes, zippers did bother me) some biking jacket are great for fall hiking since the back isn't insulated that much

Jaybird
08-08-2008, 07:59
[QUOTE=maybeFritz;678759]I moved to San Diego, ...........In this fun, I bought one of the nice bike ****s...entirely synthetic, breathable, etc. Has anyone worn one on a hike? Issues? Rave reviews? Does the zipper on the front leave a giant blister after 500 miles?

I LOVE the CYCLING shirts...but wearing an Internal frame backpack...you dont get the FULL benefit of the shirt with all the nice pockets on back.

my zipper never has given me any probs.:D

Alligator
08-08-2008, 09:44
My husband took one of his pairs of bike tights and took the padding out. (The padding was getting lumpy...not a good thing when sitting on a bike.) He especially likes to use bike leg warmers for hiking. Roll them up when it's cold; roll them down after he warms up.If you take the padding out, bike shorts might also be good for preventing thigh chafing. I can't remember who said it, but I remember reading about someone using spandex shorts for that.