PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wildeness questions

Lost My Mind
08-06-2008, 22:56
Need some help from the pros here. Trying to fingure out how to supply my son for the 100 Mile Wilderness. How many days of food, where is the best mail drop place prior to starting, etc.

Should be there around end of September - best guess right now.

Thanks!

dragonfeet
08-06-2008, 23:37
I have never been through there that late in the year but if he runs low on food he should be able to resupply at White house landing which is roughly half way.

notorius tic
08-06-2008, 23:53
I did an would still carry 8 days of food.. JMOP.. Its a pretty place an remote as it gets on the trail. Can get SCARY at times. HIGH WATER ect. White house landing is expensive but still can get you thru. I am not a speed hiker through I took my time an did the Gordge loop 2 "much recomended" Better safe than sorry Water is every were so its not a issue.. Carry food in the Back Country is a necessity. But tell em to go get a BIG BURGER at White HOUSE.. expensive but a great treat..

notorius tic
08-06-2008, 23:55
I think ABLE BRIDGE still excepts mail drops?

Uncle Tom
08-07-2008, 07:12
Abol Campground at the bridge has hiker food, beer, drinks,etc. From there, you only have about 15 miles from there to the top of Katahdin . Support the place.

TJ aka Teej
08-07-2008, 10:40
Your son is on a northbound thru-hike?
Monson is his last stop before the 100 Mile. Send the box to where he's staying (Lake Shore or Shaws), not the P.O. The General Store or a short trip up to Greenville sets up most hikers for the next week in the woods.
WB member Boarstone helps with drops in the 100 Mile.
Staying at Whitehouse Landing is a splurge, but well worth it.
Linda's Store at Abol Bridge does not accept maildrops, never has to my knowledge. She does carry enough to supply a hiker for the last few days, but many GAMErs will hitch into Millinocket for the supermarkets and restaurants.

Lost My Mind
08-07-2008, 11:52
Thanks - great information.

So, does it take most hikers about a week to complete this section?

pipesmoke
08-07-2008, 12:33
If we're talking a seasoned hiker, doing the 100mi is only a week with reasonable weather. There are three road crossings, that I remember, if one had to bail and White House Landing (worth the stop) at the 2/3 mark. Also food and some resup at Abol Bridge leaving two more days to finish (again depending on weather). Hitching from Abol and Katahdin Stream Campground to Millinocket is relatively easy. Also plan to stop at the AT Lodge and AT Cafe in Millinocket (Ole Man and Navigator). Good luck, wish I was there with you.

DavidNH
08-07-2008, 13:35

Allow 10 days to complete this section. Many do it in a week. Myself I took the full 10 days.

I would leave Monson with no less than a weeks worth of food. Can always get more at WHL, just be ware that that place is expensive. Resupply also at Abol Bridge.

David

Phreak
08-07-2008, 15:07
Buddy @ Lakeshore House does mail drops in the 100 mile wilderness. He dropped mine off last June for $35.

EarlyBird2007
08-07-2008, 15:42
During my northbound thru last year it took me 5 days to get to WHL from Monson. Then it was 2 more to Abol Bridge. I took 6 days food into the 100 mile wilderness (an extra day's worth to be safe) and then got a bit more at WHL. That worked out fine. If your son is a decent hiker but not in thru-hiker shape, I would add an extra day in each case, i.e., take 7 days food from Monson to WHL, then take 3 from WHL to Abol. In my opinion, there's no reason to take enough food to make it from Monson to Abol. Stop at WHL to rest and resupply. As for where to send a resupply box, I would send it to either Shaws or Lake Shore, with Shaws my preferred place. Having said that, there is fairly decent resupply at the general store in Monson, unless he has special dietary needs. Shaws has enough resupply to get you to Abol, and the camp store at Abol has everything most hikers need to finish.

Lost My Mind
08-07-2008, 21:11
He is doing a thru, currently in CT. Been doing 18-20 mile days for the past couple of weeks. He's at the back of the pack now because he had to come off the trail due to a death in the family Has him a couple of weeks behind the group he was hiking with.

Good to know there are several options. Thanks for the responses. You folks are the best.

Kirby
08-10-2008, 13:25

7 days to Katahdin Stream Campground, Katahdin on the 8th day.

Kirby

rafe
08-10-2008, 21:37

Yep, 15 miles per day will get you through it in a week. For a reasonably fit hiker, with no mishaps, that's easily do-able. It's not a terribly difficult section, just relatively remote.

modiyooch
08-11-2008, 15:56
I just slackpacked thru the wilderness last week. It took 6 days with loving car support. If you contact me, I can send you the details.

Tinker
08-11-2008, 21:05
Can a section hiker doing the Wilderness go up Katahdin without prior notice, or do they restrict the climb to thruhikers and people with reservations to climb?

Red Hat
08-11-2008, 22:01
Anyone can go up Katahdin, but there is a limit to the number of people allowed in the park on any given day. Also, you must arrive before a certain time (which varies month to month) to allow time to hike both ways before dark.

Tinker
08-11-2008, 22:08
Thanks. I will probably be doing the hike next month.

TJ aka Teej
08-12-2008, 10:28
Can a section hiker doing the Wilderness go up Katahdin without prior notice, or do they restrict the climb to thruhikers and people with reservations to climb?

Tinker, you don't need reservations to climb Katahdin. If you hike in from Monson you qualify as a long distance hiker and can stay at the Birches LDH sites without a reservation. The Birches has a 12 person limit, and there's a sign-up sheet located at a kiosk less than a mile N from the Abol Bridge.

Kirby
08-12-2008, 20:33
Tinker, you don't need reservations to climb Katahdin. If you hike in from Monson you qualify as a long distance hiker and can stay at the Birches LDH sites without a reservation. The Birches has a 12 person limit, and there's a sign-up sheet located at a kiosk less than a mile N from the Abol Bridge.

And according to the RR from last season at Abol Bridge, who is also there this year, there has never been a problem with the Birches filling up. They handle the situation well there.

Kirby