PDA

View Full Version : 60th Anniversary hike up to Katahdin

Uncle Tom
08-07-2008, 07:27
On Tues , Aug. 5, I hiked up to the top of Katahdin via AT with Quartermoon, Ohm, Mother Nature, Birdlegs, Zar, and Bad Influence. Aug. 5 was the 60th anniversary of Earl Shaffer's historic 1948 first recorded thru-hike of the AT. I thought there would be others who summited that day to celebrate his accomplishment, which paved the path for many of us. There were about 75 people on top. I shouted to get everyone's attention, and asked if anyone knew about the significance of the day. Not one person had a clue, not only about the 60th anniversary, but who he even was! I did manage to roust a cheer out of them, but even then, some folks stuck their heads to their cell phones, mumbling away.
By the way, the trail up to Katahdin was the wettest of any of my 14 ascents. The wettest part was in the section between Thoreau Falls up to the boulder section with the metal rungs in some of the boulders. There was over a half mile of walking in a stream, slippery. I myself broke another Leki pole walking out from one of the earth platforms up near the top of Thoreau falls.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 07:31
not everyone is starstruck by hearing earl's name and not everyone thinks thru-hiking is a major feat. thru-hikers are an extreme minority of AT users

camojack
08-07-2008, 07:47
Here you go: