PDA

View Full Version : Tent.

Jordan5
08-07-2008, 22:28
Hey just got a tent for backpacking wondering if people carry/ use a drop cloth! if so what materials and where did you get it. Thanks

Skidsteer
08-07-2008, 22:56
Hey just got a tent for backpacking wondering if people carry/ use a drop cloth! if so what materials and where did you get it. Thanks

No, unless I carry the Tacoma tarp, which is floorless. In that case, I take a piece of Tyvek for a groundcloth.

I've not really seen a benefit for adding another layer under a tent floor in my experience.

Summit
08-08-2008, 06:56
I find that a 'drop cloth' (ground cloth, footprint) helps in very heavy rain conditions and will help ward off water getting in the tent, but since that doesn't happen everyday, the best justification for one is that they protect your investment (assuming you didn't get a $40 Wal-Mart tent). They keep the bottom of your tent cleaner and reduce the risk of a sharp object poking a hole in the floor. That's worth carrying and using one IMHO.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2008, 07:01

no i don't use one. if you set it up properly you won't get wet. a ground cloth is just extra stuff

Marta
08-08-2008, 07:10
I've used Mylar space blankets. Now I'm using a piece of industrial shrink wrap. Using a ground cloth seems to help prevent condensation from forming under my sleeping pad. I leave a little piece sticking out in front of the door as a doormat.

Monkeywrench
08-08-2008, 07:29
I carry a Tyvek ground-cloth. If I don't use the tent then I use the Tyvek under my sleeping pad and bag in the shelter.

canoehead
08-08-2008, 09:38
A groud cloth is a good idea plus it prolongs wear & tears on the floor. You pay good money for them. I use a number of tents in my business and I've seen the benifits.

BookBurner
08-08-2008, 11:45
I believe a ground cloth is a heavy and bulky solution to a virtually non-existant threat. I went without a ground cloth for the entire AT and never suffered any floor damage. If I ever did poke a hole in the floor, wouldn't a piece of duct tape fix it? Ultimately, the waterproofing on my nylon tent wore out long before the floor did.

take-a-knee
08-08-2008, 12:12
Some place their CCF pad under the tent. It still keeps you warm and protects the floor.

Tipi Walter
08-08-2008, 12:22
There are several reasons I carry a ground cloth. When I lash my inflatable thermarest on the outside of the pack, I wrap it in my ground tarp and put it inside its stuff sack, all this just to protect the thing from briar pinholes while I'm walking. It's amazing to see how many backpackers keep their exposed thermarests on the outside of their packs and wonder why they have a slow leak thru the night. They blame the pad and quit carrying them.

Similarily, in camp I put the tarp inside the tent to protect the thermy from pinholes and pricks coming up thru the tent floor.

And a tarp inside the tent will keep ground water that does seep thru the tentfloor between the floor and the tarp and away from my pad and sleeping bag. This is especially important when camping on snow as body weight will often press melt water thru even the best tentfloor but the tarp keeps it away from my sleeping gear.

Summit
08-08-2008, 13:19
There are several reasons I carry a ground cloth. When I lash my inflatable thermarest on the outside of the pack, I wrap it in my ground tarp and put it inside its stuff sack, all this just to protect the thing from briar pinholes while I'm walking. It's amazing to see how many backpackers keep their exposed thermarests on the outside of their packs and wonder why they have a slow leak thru the night. They blame the pad and quit carrying them.

Similarily, in camp I put the tarp inside the tent to protect the thermy from pinholes and pricks coming up thru the tent floor.

And a tarp inside the tent will keep ground water that does seep thru the tentfloor between the floor and the tarp and away from my pad and sleeping bag. This is especially important when camping on snow as body weight will often press melt water thru even the best tentfloor but the tarp keeps it away from my sleeping gear.I never thought about these advantages inside the tent rather than under it. The tent floor is more vulnerable to soiling and holes, but hmmmm . . . might have to do some testing on my next hike.

My new SD Lightning footprint's size, unless folded to reduce the size, has allowed water to run off the fly and between the footprint and tent. Putting it inside would add another vapor barrier layer without that problem. Thanks Tipi!