PDA

View Full Version : Shawnee State Park, Ohio

OHBob
08-08-2008, 22:29
Has anyone hiked the Shawnee State Park trail in Ohio recently? If so, what's the trail like? I'd like to do the 40-mile route within the next month and hoped I could hear a first-hand report on the trail.

Johnny Swank
08-09-2008, 09:38
It's been about 5 years since I've been there, so take this with a grain of salt. I used to lead a fair amount of trips there during grad school, but you'll want to call the park office to get the current conditions.

The Ohio State Park system have basically been broke for well over a decade, so don't expect a well-groomed trail for the most part. The trail was blazed OK, but there were a few sections where I needed to backtrack. Water was available from cisterns that the park filled up, and I'm assuming that's still the case. Water in that area is sketchy, as there are many abandoned mine with lots of runoff, so plan accordingly.

If there aren't too many limbs and whatnot in the way, it's not a bad little trail overall. I'd recommend doing it in the fall once the leaves are falling. Pretty area for Ohio.

Phreak
08-10-2008, 17:02
Brings back some childhood memories. I grew up hiking in Shawnee State Park.

otterman
08-10-2008, 20:40
You can only depend on water in the camping areas. I would take some long pants to address the briars and itchy weeds. Also, a bit muddy in the rain. Copperhead snakes are common. It is not that difficult to follow the trail markers. You'll probably see lots of wildlife. I consider it a great place to hike.

OHBob
08-11-2008, 16:33
Thanks for the info. Contacted the park and nothing has changed much since my last time there a few years ago. Had hoped someone had hiked the trails this summer.

Yes, would love to do it in the fall when the leaves are down, but those people who send me a small check on a regular basis seem to demand that I actually do some work, and fall is going to be a busy time; maybe I can squeeze in some time to do either the north or south loop only later on.

bob

Johnny Swank
08-11-2008, 16:57
Oh yeah - the stinging nettles were rockin' the last time I was through there. Lead a group of folks, and the best advice I had was to laugh in the face of adversity once you got through the worst of it!

bigb
09-10-2008, 22:10
OH, hiked the southern loop in early June and it was in great shape. We had no problem following the blazes. Water was available at the two campsites we stayed at. There are a lot of stream crossings so be cautious if there has been rain.